6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

What' the best scan tool ????

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 05:33 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 134 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeremiahcf
Thanks, I did just buy that ELM adapter. All your imput is great thanks. I looked at the AE, I don't have a diesel so I don't think that would be needed. Yet. Now as soon as I get the scanner I hope you all help me use it, Right?
Sure! It's a breeze though. Pretty basic compared to what I've seen of AE. But graphs and stuff are alot better than a handheld screen if you dont mind having a laptop in the truck with you. Setting up the dashboard part gave me a little trouble but it connects easy. It shows 3 ECUs on our trucks, just select the one with a bunch of available PIDs. On will have like 2-3, one will have 14-15, and the other has like 27-28. Thet's the one to connect to ($7E8 I think) and away you go.

Old 04-07-2012, 05:46 PM
dchamberlain
Lead Driver

Received 664 Likes on 424 Posts
Originally Posted by Special Ed
zhilton,
Can the AE with the Ford enhanced be used to pull an ABS code from my 05 Pontiac Grand Prix as well? or would I need to purchase "GM enhanced" for that? Will it work on any other vehicles other than my Powerstroke for retrieving data? Thanks, Ed
AE will pull generic OBD-II codes from any vehicle. It would be worth a try to hook it up to the GM. You might not get all the information but you might get what you need. It'd be better to give it a shot before you spent the extra bucks.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:14 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Special Ed
Can the AE with the Ford enhanced be used to pull an ABS code from my 05 Pontiac Grand Prix as well? or would I need to purchase "GM enhanced" for that? Will it work on any other vehicles other than my Powerstroke for retrieving data?
Not sure, but it's worth a shoot. The Ford enhanced allow you to read codes on any Ford/Lincoln/Mercury from '94 and up. The Ford bundle won't give you the same level of access on Mazadas. The very early PSD ('94) aren't all supported by the OBD-II parameters the AE uses; so I'm thinking it's a crap shoot if your looking to do all the "whiz bang" stuff on a OBS PSD. I tried it on my wife's Honda once...the next day the automatic climate control heat sink fired a diode; bad luck timing. The timing has caused the wife to threaten me with my life if I every plug into her Honda again. I know I can look at Dodge products, just can't do any thing fancy.
Originally Posted by dchamberlain
AE will pull generic OBD-II codes from any vehicle. It would be worth a try to hook it up to the GM. You might not get all the information but you might get what you need. It'd be better to give it a shot before you spent the extra bucks.
Since there appears to be at least five different "Interface Types"...you'd need to know which one applies to the vehicle your plugged into. This is what AE claims you need to set the Interface to:

J1850 PWM for: Pre-’04 Ford*, Lincoln, Mercury, Jaguar, Mazda, Panoz, Saleen

J1850 VPW for: Pre-’08 Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Chrysler, Dodge, GMC, Hummer, Isuzu, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Saturn

ISO 9141-2 for: Asian (Acura, Honda, Infinity, Lexus*, Nissan, Toyota*, etc.), European (Audi, BMW, Mercedes, MINI, Porsche, etc.), and early Chrysler*, Dodge, Eagle, and Plymouth

KWP2000 for: Daewoo, Hyundai, KIA, Subaru STi, and some Mercedes

CAN for: All makes ’08+ and ’04+ Ford, Jaguar, Land Rover, Mazda, Mercedes, Nissan, and Toyota

Now the PSD are a completely different animal, they run a "hybird OBD-II" type of set-up in that you use J1850 PW. Or at least that's how the 7.3L & 6.0L powered trucks are set-up. Haven't tried it on a 6.4L or 6.7L truck...and I'm pretty sure my local dealership wouldn't appreciate it if I started messing around with one on the lot (sticks in the mud). I've had my AE for over a year and I'm still learning what it can/can't do. If money was no object, I would have gone with the domestic bundle, I think they're $800 at RiffRaff. I just couldn't justify the money just to "talk" to the Honda. I will say this, there is a Honda forum that has been almost as valuable for her ride as FTE has been for Ford at my place.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:16 PM
Jeremiahcf
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rusty Axlerod
Sure! It's a breeze though. Pretty basic compared to what I've seen of AE. But graphs and stuff are alot better than a handheld screen if you dont mind having a laptop in the truck with you. Setting up the dashboard part gave me a little trouble but it connects easy. It shows 3 ECUs on our trucks, just select the one with a bunch of available PIDs. On will have like 2-3, one will have 14-15, and the other has like 27-28. Thet's the one to connect to ($7E8 I think) and away you go.
I got a code, P0133 O2 Circut slow response, bank one sensor one, so I cleared the code and it came back after about 30 min of driving. So how do I find it and fix it?

Old 04-12-2012, 07:19 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
We don't have o2 sensors!??
I guess if it keeps coming back you've seen it a few times now. P0133 IS an o2 sensor code. Try restarting software and reconnecting. Did you use auto connect when connecting to truck?

Old 04-12-2012, 07:47 PM
Jeremiahcf
Freshman User
I use the elm and the Equus 3130 Innova Diagnostic Code Scanner both came up with the same code. Yes auto connect on both, then I'd jump to live and clear code and it would clear.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:29 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
WOW, the only references I can find to P0133 on a diesel refer to the 2011 Ford 6.7. Apparently that code is used for the NOx sensor on those engines, and a '08 Cummins that threw a P0133 but it was described as a "flood victim". hopefully someone will post up some info on how this code could show up on a 6.0. Maybe a new thread would help.
I'm glad the code was backed up by another tool. i was worrying the ELM was crapping out on ya right off the bat!

Old 04-12-2012, 08:55 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Is your truck a F-550? and What year is it?

Old 04-12-2012, 09:16 PM
Jeremiahcf
Freshman User
Oh un yeah, It's a 98 ford ranger witha 4.0, I think I found it. Bank 1 is passenger side up from the exhaust. Sorry I'm such an idoit for not telling you it was on a gas ranger.

Old 04-13-2012, 04:55 AM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Ah... Sounds like your on the right track. Really had me scratching my head on that one-lol. Could be bad sensor, exhaust leak, vacuum leak or air-fuel mixture.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:19 AM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rusty Axlerod
Ah... Sounds like your on the right track. Really had me scratching my head on that one-lol. Could be bad sensor, exhaust leak, vacuum leak or air-fuel mixture.
I was wondering the same thing, there aren't any O2 on the PSD equipped trucks.