6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

What' the best scan tool ????

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 12:08 PM
Idahoser
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hotrodracer
Am/was leaning to the Insight CTS, but am intrigued by your quote that the ScanGauge does more, i.e. the Insight CTS does not have all the capabilities of the S.G. Does the SG support a egt probe like the CTS? I do not need extra add on cameras, bells and whistles, etc, but might want to add pressure's, or,?, in the future.

So what does the SG do that the CTS doesn't???
I'm not trying to badmouth the Insights. If money was no object I'm sure I'd have one. But here's what I mean. The ability to read what the truck puts out in the ODB port is the subject here. If you want to read things that aren't there now, you have to add sensors. Yes, if you add a sensor for fuel pressure or EGT for example, the Insight can accept and display those. So can separate gauges. The gauges are probably cheaper than the added parts to make the Insight do the job.

But aside from added things like those, simply showing what the truck is already sending, there seems to be (again, and again, remember I have never used or even seen an Insight, this is learned by reading about them!) a lot more flexibility with the Scangauge. There are some things they both do, and the Insight is without a doubt the prettier way to see them. But there are things the Scangauge already can do today, that as far as I know the Insight does not currently know how to display. I don't have any details right here in front of me to tell you what those might be.

Also there is an ongoing project that develops new "xgauge" sets that you can program yourself into the Scangauge to show things that weren't available before. I don't think you can program an Insight yourself, if they did develop a new ability you'd probably have to send it back for them to do it, or perhaps download new firmware.

These are the things I've discovered by reading. They may not be accurate, I just don't know. It's the impressions I went by when I decided the Scangauge was much better for my truck. That's all I'm saying.

For roughly the price of the better Insight, I have both a Scangauge and an AutoEnginuity.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:22 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by hotrodracer
So what does the SG do that the CTS doesn't???
IMO the highlights that the SGII does that the Insight doesn't are IRP%, fan speed, FICM logic (12V) power, EBP, and EGR duty cycle.

Edge has already added some PIDs comapred to when I got mine two summers ago. ICP, FICM V, and some mpg stuff have all been added (it's super easy to update the software), so I'm hoping they add in an IPR% and then the Insight is really almost entirely as useful as the SGII without figuring in expandibility.

I have both. The Insight looks and functions much better while driving than the SG; it will show double to number of PIDs on the screen. The SG does a few more things when you need it to. Worth the extra $200? Not to most people, just those of us that like function combined WITH form. The Insight CTS is a beauty compared to the SG's pixelation and weird backlighting colors.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:55 PM
hotrodracer
Senior User
Flowere to "idahoser' and 'texastech" for their quick, concise, and informative replies...

Looks like 'ol hotrodracer is gonna hafta milk the cash cow a bit more on this one.

Thanks again all...

Old 04-05-2012, 10:26 PM
Jeremiahcf
Freshman User
ok so what about a Equus 3130 Innova Diagnostic Code Scanner with Live, Record and Playback Data Capability for OBDII Vehicles. I just spent $150 for the mechanic to tell me I had a bad spark plug, so I want a scanner.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:32 AM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 135 Likes on 79 Posts
3130 is a good choice but be aware, if you want to use the on-line features it only has a serial data connector. Most modern computers have dropped the serial connector. You'll need to buy a serial to USB adapter ( not expensive) to go with it.
If you have a laptop to use, I like this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002PY...5057422&sr=8-1

Old 04-06-2012, 08:58 AM
Jeremiahcf
Freshman User
Oh, I didn't even think of that. Thanks a bunch.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:43 AM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 135 Likes on 79 Posts
That ELM adapter in the link I posted above is only $28 on amazon right now. It snags the manufacturer specific codes but doesn't give an on screen definition. There is a look- up feature in the app that will pull it off the net if you have wi-fi in the garage/driveway. It also does data logging and displays (and plays back) graphs of the data you record. It doesn't have any initiated tests like cyl contribution or moving the EGR valve open or closed etc. there is an "in App" option to upgrade to a better version of the software. It also has a Dashboard function you can customize that's easy to watch in the road an that is recordable so you can play it back once you're back in the garage. If you have a laptop, for 28 bucks it easily the best option I've found.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:11 AM
Idahoser
Tuned
I was very tempted to try the ELM and Torque app approach, but when I read as much as I could find about it, it appeared that the inexpensive ones can be finicky, and to get a better one that will surely work takes almost as much money as the king of 6.0 scanners so I just went there to begin with.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:40 AM
raptor131
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeremiahcf
ok so what about a Equus 3130 Innova Diagnostic Code Scanner with Live, Record and Playback Data Capability for OBDII Vehicles. I just spent $150 for the mechanic to tell me I had a bad spark plug, so I want a scanner.
This scanner is the same one I bought from sears with the "craftsman" name on it. I have the scanguage 2, this equus 3130, and the AE ford bundle. I can tell you the only one that pulls all the codes is the AE. It is by far the best tool for reading of the three.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:31 PM
Jeremiahcf
Freshman User
Thanks, I did just buy that ELM adapter. All your imput is great thanks. I looked at the AE, I don't have a diesel so I don't think that would be needed. Yet. Now as soon as I get the scanner I hope you all help me use it, Right?

Old 04-06-2012, 05:13 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Thanks, I did just buy that ELM adapter. All your imput is great thanks. I looked at the AE, I don't have a diesel so I don't think that would be needed. Yet. Now as soon as I get the scanner I hope you all help me use it, Right?
The AE with Ford Enhanced does more that just diesel. If Ford built it after '94 (to current products)...the AE will allow you to do all kinds of things with it. Program new keys PATS keys, change the speedometer, troubleshoot codes and a host of other things that a SG will only show you the code for. Now, with the PSD that's where the AE shines. But don't think you have to have a diesel to need AE.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:04 PM
Jeremiahcf
Freshman User
Yeah, your right, I just looked at the Ford Diesel part of it. I went to the website and sure enough it had all the AE line. It sure looks like a good scanner, just alot more then I can spend right now. Thanks for the correction.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:30 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Yeah, your right, I just looked at the Ford Diesel part of it. I went to the website and sure enough it had all the AE line. It sure looks like a good scanner, just alot more then I can spend right now.
That's why it may pay dividends to know folks in your state's FTE chapter. I've used my AE for more folks in the AR & OK chapters...than I have on my own rides. The sad part, I've spent a fair amount of time plugged into 7.3L trucks here lately...just wish I spoke 7.3L as well as I do 6.0L.

Old 04-07-2012, 06:52 AM
Special Ed
Elder User
zhilton,
Can the AE with the Ford enhanced be used to pull an ABS code from my 05 Pontiac Grand Prix as well? or would I need to purchase "GM enhanced" for that? Will it work on any other vehicles other than my Powerstroke for retrieving data? Thanks, Ed

Old 04-07-2012, 09:06 AM
Idahoser
Tuned
their website should tell you the real answer to your question, but basically I would guess no, you'd need the GM bundle for more than basic info like codes.

Quick Reply: What' the best scan tool ????