1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

Show Me Your "Costume Jewelry" - I'll Show You My Truck

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 01:17 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 288 Likes on 199 Posts
Show Me Your "Costume Jewelry" - I'll Show You My Truck

We Orphan Owners, have generally not yet reached the stage where our trucks have become icons/trophies, unlike certain other segments of the classic Ford truck era, who shall remain nameless. O.K., they won't remain nameless, they are the 53-56 guys.Or, at least, some of them.But I do see that trend creeping towards the Fridge group, and will do my utmost to fend off the Hideous Beast.I consider this my little contribution to man-kind.Still, if you want want a foul taste of the Apocalypse that's fast approaching our little cloistered community, just check in over at the Facebook 57-60 group.Poor, misguided souls...That group IS a nice source for networking on locating trucks/parts, though, and they are to be commended for that.

"What are all you guys doing for...(fill in the blank)"? seems to be the copy-cat catch-phrase of the Custom Fat-Fendeerd crowd, while our trucks remain, largely, workhorses and daily-driven trucks.And that's as it should be.The Fridge, without the desirable, swoopy, round lines of the mid 20th Century, but having roomier interiors, more powerful engines, larger beds, and greater capacities, remains a giant step forward from its' immediate predecessor.Assuming you want to have a real truck, and not a seldom-used piece of artwork.This much is undeniable.

So, what makes anyone think that sticking an old truck body on a newer frame, installing a tilt steering wheel/5-way adjustable seats/electric windows/electronic gauge package/leather-tufted interior/ makes for an improved classic truck?Let's don't forget some gaudy wheels to go with our modern suspension/braking "Package"! I submit that such vehicles have exited the truck category altogether.

Consider this familiar scenario.At your local car show, the proud owner of a heavily-customized, candy coated-looking, VERY expensive truck sits in his lawn-chair, with a nervous look on his face, too afraid to leave its' vicinity.This baby was trailered-in, on the owners new 45,000 dollar, "XXXXX" 1-Ton w/enclosed car-hauler. He shoots darting glances towards anyone coming with-in 5 feet of his truck, especially children.There is a barricade to keep others away from his pride-and-joy.Plastered on every window are "Look But Don't Touch" placards, while lined up in front of the truck, beside the owner, are an assortment of car show awards,(trophies, plaques, certificates). A fancy Build Detail Board lists the thousands of dollars spent, and which prestigious businesses performed the work.There is factory literature, perhaps an article/photo-spread from some magazine.A large mirror does allow a glance at a pristine under-carriage that has never experienced a pothole, or even rain. People walk by, smiling politely, though not spending much time.There are just too many similarly done-up vehicles to take in.Probably sooner, rather than later,this vehicles' owner will become bored with his creation, and sell it to fund the building of a yet more costly piece of Garage Art.

Meanwhile, just next-door, is a very simple,nearly all stock classic truck.Driven to the show by the owner, it's definitely not a concourse restoration - in fact, it's evident that the owner did most of the less-than- perfect work himself.Nevertheless, there's a small crowd gathered.The proud owner happily answers every question, and just plain enjoys the B.S.'ing and attention.There are finger prints on the glass and paint from his kids hands, one of which is in the bed, walking all over the weathered wooden floor boards with their peeling layers of varnish.With no hint of a barricade, attendees of the show are allowed, even encouraged, to open the trucks' doors and hood to have a peek at what's inside.The truck is elegant in its simplicity,emblematic of the era in which it was built.Perfect.It is a truck.

Can you really call any kit-car "Genuine", the real deal?We know the answer is emphatically "NO".Can anyone, in all honesty, claim that any of these "Cutomized-Out-Of-Existence" vehicles are Classic trucks? You can write a bigger check than I can - Big Freaking Deal.Everyone can appreciate the skills that transforms a rusty shell into a shiny work of art, but that's not the point.

The point IS - to me anyway - why do you drive an old truck? I want to drive my truck every day and in every way.I like that it evokes an image of an era that no longer exists.But also, and most importantly, I want the feeling of that time in which my truck was built.It's a memory, a pleasant reminiscence, a quiet smile in my mind. A perfectly baked, home-made, chocolate-chip cookie can almost give me a similar feeling.I'll never get that feeling from the above described Custom, nor from an Oreo cookie.They're all-right, but they're just not the real deal, any more than a Shelby GT kit-car is the equivalent of the genuine article.

Do what YOU want, it's your vehicle.The "Old Truck Hobby" is a BIG TENT, after all.Its just that I prefer my tent to be made of waxed cotton canvass, not nylon or Gortex.There is, as they say, no accounting for taste.But please, when your obsession reaches this level, fess-up and admit that it is no longer a truck.We real truck-owners reserve the right to rub your noses in it, or tweak you every now and then.And, as you must know, we WILL tweak you. Are you somehow surprised that we would dare to point out your foibles? "But I've spent lots of time and money", you may say.Big Whoop! It's O.K, relax, we all have our blind-spots.If you were to give me your truck, I'd simply sell it and buy 4 or 5 nicely-kept real trucks.So, in conclusion, consider yourselves tweaked.Now, go clean that crap off your noses....

Bored in Paradise,

Steve

Old 03-11-2012, 02:09 PM
Frankinf0rd
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm taking my truck off road, once I get it running.

Old 03-11-2012, 02:31 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Received 589 Likes on 529 Posts
That makes me applaud and weep simutaneously!

Well said Steve!

Old 03-11-2012, 03:45 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Originally Posted by spurredon
That makes me applaud and weep simutaneously!

Well said Steve!
I can only do what one man can do........LOL!

Old 03-11-2012, 03:50 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
Well said! Looks we think a lot alike.

Old 03-11-2012, 04:29 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
I had to look up the word 'cloistered'.

Old 03-11-2012, 04:33 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Guess I should know better than to use one of them 5 dollar words on a bunch of old Ford truck guys.Many ages ago,I was a Catholic alter boy.A really BAD alter boy....

Old 03-11-2012, 04:34 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Do tell!

Old 03-11-2012, 04:51 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Originally Posted by havi
Do tell!
I did survive Catholic School - or should I say,they survived me.Seven years worth, anyway. But when I began, at age 12, questioning church doctrine vs. biblical teachings, I wasn't long for that world.A mutual parting of the ways occurred.I was abused - but by the tough, older European nuns, not priests, and not in THAT way!I just wanted to have some fun,they just wanted me to learn.Imagine that.Public humiliation - or rather being humiliated in front of my classmates - only made me more determined.Gotta say I earned my whoopin'.I turned out alright, didn't I? Please tell me I did..............!

Old 03-11-2012, 06:11 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
You said you were gonna show us your truck! I like your description of the car show. I sort of took my GMC to one last summer. Actually I passed by a show in a mall parking lot on my way to watch my kid play baseball. I had time so I pulled in. I parked right outside the rope near some other advanced design GM trucks. None of the owners left their lawn chair even though it was idling and clattering and obviously not stock. They just looked at me, the only guy not wearing shorts, running shoes and a polo shirt with my dirty old truck and shrugged. IBUZZARD, I think it's obvious by the pictures I've posted of my trucks that you're preachin' to the choir with your rant. I'm not a snob, I went around and enjoyed all their hard work and billet accessories. Decided car shows aren't for me. Don't forget to put up a picture of your truck!

Old 03-11-2012, 06:15 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Gary,you can see a few older ones in my gallery.But the side boxes and rack are gone, replaced by a vintage camper shell.My photo-posting NON-skills are legendary.I'll try to get some updated ones soon.

Old 03-11-2012, 06:18 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Could you say that again but with different words?

Old 03-11-2012, 06:21 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Originally Posted by 4tl8ford
Could you say that again but with different words?
Not so's you could understand, Sarge!

Thanks for stopping by,Dick.We welcome your storehouse of incoherent mutterings, er, I mean, knowledge about all old vehicles.LOL!

Old 03-11-2012, 07:58 PM
iwanaflattie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 30 Likes on 8 Posts
Who said "fridges cant look good"?
These trucks are cheap,rugged,better designed than our trucks(f1-f6)...
Im with you on this Steve.
Dont tell me this aint sexier than a 100,00.00 dollar cookie cutter:
And I like em big,chubby and stout,,a pic of my f5

Attached Images   
Old 03-11-2012, 08:34 PM
theodore/teddy
Refyred
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Iwanaflattie
AHH Are we still talking trucks?
I remember when you drug that cab home. Its good to see it all came to gather.

Quick Reply: Show Me Your "Costume Jewelry" - I'll Show You My Truck