6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

The 4x4 & e-locker on my F250 saved me yesterday....

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 01:12 PM
gascan
Laughing Gas
Received 104 Likes on 36 Posts
Smile The 4x4 & e-locker on my F250 saved me yesterday....

We have had a ton of rain in Austin the last few days - which is greatly needed and appreciated. I store my 5th wheel camper at a friend's lot for 2 years now. We have been in a drought for the last 2 years so I have not seen how conditions are on the lot are during a ton of rain. We leave on our spring break camping trip on Wednesday so I needed to de-winterize and get the camper ready yesterday despite the rain. When I got to the storage lot, the ground was wet but not to bad so pulling it out for a trip to my house was not a big deal. However yesterday afternoon it really poured while I was working on the rig at my house. Late yesterday evening when I went to return the camper to its parking spot, I greeted by a sea of mud and standing water. I was able to back in OK. As I got out of the truck to unhook, I was about 4 inches deep in mud just walking around. Once I got the 5er unhooked, I went to drive away and the truck just spun like crazy. I activated the e-locker for the rear wheels (still in wheel drive at this point) and just threw mud everywhere (all over the front of my camper). Lovely, now I have a mess to clean up!!! I then put it in 4x4 high and tried again. Again mud flew everywhere but the big silver beast came right out of the mud hole. The negative was more mud was flung on the front of my camper. Fun fun.

Anyway, I am so glad I bought a 4x4. If I had 4x2, I would have been in trouble.

-gascan

Old 03-11-2012, 01:58 PM
CornTruckDriver
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gascan
We have had a ton of rain in Austin the last few days - which is greatly needed and appreciated. I store my 5th wheel camper at a friend's lot for 2 years now. We have been in a drought for the last 2 years so I have not seen how conditions are on the lot are during a ton of rain. We leave on our spring break camping trip on Wednesday so I needed to de-winterize and get the camper ready yesterday despite the rain. When I got to the storage lot, the ground was wet but not to bad so pulling it out for a trip to my house was not a big deal. However yesterday afternoon it really poured while I was working on the rig at my house. Late yesterday evening when I went to return the camper to its parking spot, I greeted by a sea of mud and standing water. I was able to back in OK. As I got out of the truck to unhook, I was about 4 inches deep in mud just walking around. Once I got the 5er unhooked, I went to drive away and the truck just spun like crazy. I activated the e-locker for the rear wheels (still in wheel drive at this point) and just threw mud everywhere (all over the front of my camper). Lovely, now I have a mess to clean up!!! I then put it in 4x4 high and tried again. Again mud flew everywhere but the big silver beast came right out of the mud hole. The negative was more mud was flung on the front of my camper. Fun fun.

Anyway, I am so glad I bought a 4x4. If I had 4x2, I would have been in trouble.

-gascan
Welcome to a typical new england spring. You wouldnt belive what 2 feet of frozen ground is like when it thaws.

Old 03-11-2012, 02:14 PM
Tuxedo Scorpion
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
after owning a 4x4, its hard to ever go back.

Old 03-11-2012, 04:23 PM
Dim Sum
Cargo Master
Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
This thread is lame w/o photos of the muddy truck / trailer .

Old 03-11-2012, 04:36 PM
gascan
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Dim Sum
LOL! Yeah I agree. However it was dark and pooring rain last night so I didn't take the time to take the photos but I did think about it. It rained so much last night all the mud is off my truck now. <grin>

Old 03-11-2012, 05:06 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Tuxedo Scorpion
after owning a 4x4, its hard to ever go back.
I agree. 4x4 has saved me more than once over the years.
It's amazing what you can do with a 4x2 vehicle with patience and smart thinking but those situations are limited.
Set to 4x4 and slowly walk the vehicle out and get on with your day.

Now if all you do is drive on pavement, then the extra weight of a 4x4 isn't needed and it's added maintence.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:10 PM
Tuxedo Scorpion
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Dim Sum
Yes. Pics please. And 4in of mud on the boots couldnt have made your floormats happy. All weathet mats? Weather Techs?

Old 03-11-2012, 06:01 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
I use 4x4 all the time around where I live. Some of the trailers or loads will make you sink quickly

Old 03-11-2012, 07:33 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Yes. Pics please. And 4in of mud on the boots couldnt have made your floormats happy. All weathet mats? Weather Techs?
Floor liners like the Husky Weather beaters are a must have for a pickup.
That way, I just don't have to worry about it.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:52 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
Originally Posted by kper05
Floor liners like the Husky Weather beaters are a must have for a pickup.
That way, I just don't have to worry about it.
I actuallly have the SD ones from Ford and they are pretty good as well.

Old 03-11-2012, 08:24 PM
Tuxedo Scorpion
Fleet Mechanic
I have the Ford All weather mats as well in my 6.4 and theyre great. almost went weathertech but at over 150% more cost, couldnt do it.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:44 PM
gascan
Laughing Gas
I washed my Husky Weatherbeaters off earlier this morning. Yes, they were full of mud. Glad I had them. Sorry, forgot to take a photo of them....

Old 03-12-2012, 12:19 AM
kper05
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by senix
I actuallly have the SD ones from Ford and they are pretty good as well.
Anything other can carpet mats.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:41 AM
2horses
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Right after I bought my '06 (may she RIP), I hauled my horse to ride on a local ranch and got caught in a huge rainstorm while out. Finally got back to the trailer and loaded my mare, waited a while for the rain to quit and found my previously high and dry rig axle deep in water. Put it in D and tried to roll forward, nothing. Engaged the 4X4 low, and slowly pulled out of the hole I was in without hesitation, easy peasy on my horse and no mud flung anywhere. That one incident made a 4WD believer out of me!

Old 03-12-2012, 12:35 PM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My thoughts on a 4wd are being worried about launching at the boat at a ramp and not being able to get out with just 2wd. I have been to some boat launches that have been very slick and some that are not much of a launch at all. Having a 4wd I would have the peace of mind that I could get out of most situations a 2wd could not. It would be very embarrassing to not be able to pull your boat out of the water because your truck is stuck.

Quick Reply: The 4x4 & e-locker on my F250 saved me yesterday....