6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

I've had it with this thing!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 09:10 PM
branstetter
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had it with this thing!!

I know that I'm not the only one who has come to this conclusion with their 6.0.

I just spent $2700 on getting the HPOP and a list of other things fixed. While they were in there the shop offered to weld up the EGR cooler for an extra $50, I went for it.

I've only put about 400 miles on it since the work was done. Now on a short trip this morning it is DUMPING thick black smoke. I suspect it's a stuck injector or something. It shows a distinct puff of smoke that is timed with the motor running at idle and as soon as I step on the throttle, look out behind me! Going down hill at no throttle is the only time it doesn't smoke. As soon as I get back into it the smoke is white-ish gray then back to mostly black, allot!! The traffic stayed well away from me and I'm surprised I didn't get a ticket!

It's a '03 F250, 4x4 Crew cab Short bed. It has around 185,000 miles on it and has been a great truck for the last few years.

I've replaced 3 injectors, injector harness, a water pump, thermostat, blue spring kit and I re-soldered the FICM connections. Regular oil and filter changes as well as fuel filters. (I'm re-thinking that "great truck" comment now)

I'm to the point of selling the thing to the first person to offer at least as much as I have left on the loan. I'd like to just get in there and fix it but with no job, and going after disability because of stupid cancer, I don't see that happening very soon, or ever.

Maybe someone here can help shed some light on what might be the problem. Or would like to take it as a project of their own... wishful thinking.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:03 AM
wulfman
Posting Guru

bransetter sounds like a stuck open injector , if it is i would not drive it as the cylinder could fill with fuel and hydro lock , which means broken parts.

Old 03-11-2012, 12:07 PM
eagleinms
Senior User
Originally Posted by branstetter
I know that I'm not the only one who has come to this conclusion with their 6.0.

I just spent $2700 on getting the HPOP and a list of other things fixed. While they were in there the shop offered to weld up the EGR cooler for an extra $50, I went for it.

I've only put about 400 miles on it since the work was done. Now on a short trip this morning it is DUMPING thick black smoke. I suspect it's a stuck injector or something. It shows a distinct puff of smoke that is timed with the motor running at idle and as soon as I step on the throttle, look out behind me! Going down hill at no throttle is the only time it doesn't smoke. As soon as I get back into it the smoke is white-ish gray then back to mostly black, allot!! The traffic stayed well away from me and I'm surprised I didn't get a ticket!

It's a '03 F250, 4x4 Crew cab Short bed. It has around 185,000 miles on it and has been a great truck for the last few years.

I've replaced 3 injectors, injector harness, a water pump, thermostat, blue spring kit and I re-soldered the FICM connections. Regular oil and filter changes as well as fuel filters. (I'm re-thinking that "great truck" comment now)

I'm to the point of selling the thing to the first person to offer at least as much as I have left on the loan. I'd like to just get in there and fix it but with no job, and going after disability because of stupid cancer, I don't see that happening very soon, or ever.

Maybe someone here can help shed some light on what might be the problem. Or would like to take it as a project of their own... wishful thinking.
Have you noticed a BIG drop in power/pull? If so, it may be the turbo. That said, the turbo is VGT which means the vanes of the turbo open when under load and gate back as less boost is required. There is a connector at the right side toward the front that may be loose or unplugged. It is possible with the miles that the vanes are stuck, which (if stuck closed) will give you volumes of black smoke and no power. Have you noticed and grinding sound at the turbo? If so, could be bearings. Do you hear a loud whistle under throttle? Could be a bad CAC boot(the blue or black hoses that connect the metal tubes from the turbo-CAC-intake. There are several things to look at before killing the beast.
Good luck and God Bless
Eagleinms

Old 03-11-2012, 12:36 PM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Also, in all that work that was done, is there a chance that a boost tube is leaking presurizd air? Could be simpler than those pesky injectors, fuel is not being burned with air causing the black smoke.