Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Mid-Atlantic Region > Maryland Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Maryland Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: jr32560

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-10-2012, 05:50 PM
Senior User

Blown284 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yay finally !!!!

After all the nonsense with my lift... found multiple issues with the install of the lift and glad that I took it off since I plan to tow a lot.

Here's a picture of my truck leveled. Stock shocks, new stock front + rear leafs and leveling kit. Truck drives like a cadillac now less the front hubs that I need to change.

Click the image to open in full size.

Thanks everyone for all your help and listening to me complain. I'm happy now and can't wait to start pulling the trailer!
Mods to date: MBRP 4" exhaust, ISSPro Ev2 gauges, Leveling kit, DIY 6673 intake, muffler delete, '05 leather front seats/console, Stereo upgrade, Scangauge II, HD headlight, new front grill, TW 6 POS w/SWAMPS tunes)
2012 VW Passat TDI
Old 03-10-2012, 06:11 PM
Posting Legend

dustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputation
Very Good!!! Glad you got it right finally.

I put milemarker hubs on my 94, and I am pleased with them. The cost was about half of what everybody else wanted

Charlie slackmaster #26
"A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely fool proof, is to underestimate the ingenuity of a complete fool."
Old 03-10-2012, 06:13 PM
Posting Legend

dustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputation
BTW Tim, did you see this thread about the GTG?
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11...pa-and-de.html

Charlie slackmaster #26
"A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely fool proof, is to underestimate the ingenuity of a complete fool."
Old 03-10-2012, 06:13 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustybumpers View Post
Very Good!!! Glad you got it right finally.

I put milemarker hubs on my 94, and I am pleased with them. The cost was about half of what everybody else wanted
Thanks! The issue is that one of the hubs is locked (guessing it's locked?) and regardless if I unlock both hubs the front driveshaft turns. I'm guessing one of them is stuck in the locked position? I realize it's not a huge issue but there's no need to turn that ds unless I'm in 4wd, right? LOL.
Mods to date: MBRP 4" exhaust, ISSPro Ev2 gauges, Leveling kit, DIY 6673 intake, muffler delete, '05 leather front seats/console, Stereo upgrade, Scangauge II, HD headlight, new front grill, TW 6 POS w/SWAMPS tunes)
2012 VW Passat TDI
Old 03-10-2012, 06:17 PM
Posting Legend

Is the truck shift on the fly, or mechanical?

Charlie slackmaster #26
Old 03-10-2012, 06:24 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Is the truck shift on the fly, or mechanical?
It has a switch on a panel for 2wd / 4wd hi / low. Also the hubs have a "Free" and "Locked" on them and believe they are "Warn" model. Is there a way that I can override the hubs to stop them from turning that front ds? Perhaps trying to engage 2wd / 4wd hi/low and see if that helps? I've ensured both hubs are in the "FREE" area but on one side when I turn the wheel (passenger side) it turns the ds regardless..... Errr! LOL... always something, isn't it?
2012 VW Passat TDI
Old 03-10-2012, 06:29 PM
DE Chapter LDR

fire240 has a superb reputationfire240 has a superb reputationfire240 has a superb reputationfire240 has a superb reputationfire240 has a superb reputationfire240 has a superb reputationfire240 has a superb reputationfire240 has a superb reputationfire240 has a superb reputationfire240 has a superb reputationfire240 has a superb reputation
Looks good Tim.
Big Bser number XO Slackmaster#5
RIP Stevebricks. You will be missed.
Join the DE Chapter here
Old 03-10-2012, 07:01 PM
Posting Legend

Your hubs are bad. Do you mind locking the hubs by hand? if not, use the milemarkes, if so, you will have to research those hubs, and find a replacment. My 94 is shift on the fly, so far, I just lock the hubs when I think I need them, and all is good.

Charlie slackmaster #26
Old 03-10-2012, 07:03 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Your hubs are bad. Do you mind locking the hubs by hand? if not, use the milemarkes, if so, you will have to research those hubs, and find a replacment. My 94 is shift on the fly, so far, I just lock the hubs when I think I need them, and all is good.
Understand they are bad. I guess what I'm asking for right now is there a way to unlock (the passenger side is the culprit) some way? Apparently if one hub is locked and won't unlock it turns the whole darn thing. Errrr!!

Perhaps I can just try to engage 4wd for 10-20 feet then disengage it? LOL.
2012 VW Passat TDI
Old 03-10-2012, 07:20 PM
Posting Legend

Usually you take it out of 4x4, and back up about 15 feet, and the hubs unlock.

I guess you could take the hub apart, and clean and regrease it, if it's not broken.

Charlie slackmaster #26
Old 03-10-2012, 07:24 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Usually you take it out of 4x4, and back up about 15 feet, and the hubs unlock.

I guess you could take the hub apart, and clean and regrease it, if it's not broken.
I'm going to replace both hubs ASAP -- the part is on order. I'm trying to get it so the front driveshaft isn't spinning 70mph down the road with me LOL. I'll try to play around with engaging 4wd and disengaging to see if that makes any difference.
2012 VW Passat TDI
Old 03-10-2012, 07:27 PM
Posting Legend

Might not seem like much, but it puts wear on your drive train, tires, etc. not to mention gas milage. Another nice feature, when the hubs are unlocked, the truck has a tighter turning circle. With the length of your Truck, that will really help in a parking lot.

Charlie slackmaster #26
Old 03-11-2012, 04:22 PM
Senior User

More info since I was out there just messing around with it some more.

On the backside, there's a black ring (dust ring?) that's just hanging there. I tried to use a wedge to move the axle around and it really isn't budging much.

Is all this because of the hub being locked?

Charlie, I sent you a PM please call me on the cell # provided. thanks.
2012 VW Passat TDI
Old 03-16-2012, 03:51 PM
Senior User

After a ton of work figuring this out and why the locking hubs wouldn't go back in, I figured it out.

1. The hubs are SHOT!
2. The bearings are SHOT

The good news is that the truck should drive like new once I'm finished (will I ever be finished?).
2012 VW Passat TDI
Old 03-16-2012, 03:52 PM
Posting Legend

You working on the bearings too? wow, last I spoke with you, it was just a hub project.

Charlie slackmaster #26
Old 03-16-2012, 03:52 PM