Autometer pyr will not zero &

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 11:17 AM
fromnwmt
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
disconnect leads to probe

Originally Posted by tdpower
It's not uncommon to get a bad gauge. Mine was bad from autometer. I would call their customer service. They had me disconnect the leads to the probe at the gauge and turn the key on. Leave the + and ground hooked up. The gauge should read ambient temperature. Mine would stay at the 6 o clock position so they said the gauge was bad. They had me send it in and they replaced it.
Thanks tdpower we will try this, did new gauge read below 200deg?

Old 03-11-2012, 11:51 AM
tdpower
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fromnwmt
Thanks tdpower we will try this, did new gauge read below 200deg?
Mine went to the 6 o clock position with the probe disconnected. Autometer customer service said it should be 50-100 with it disconnected. Not positive if that is ambient or not. I would give them a call if you think you have a problem.

Old 03-11-2012, 12:55 PM
Bob Taulbee
Duct Tape Tech.
Originally Posted by frankgh
I can't believe a pyro gauge the reads 200 when it is cold would be acceptable to anyone. But my ISSPRO EV2's are flawless!
Its only cold until you start the engine, I don't think EGTs can be under 200* with the engine running.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:03 PM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
These are Autometer phantom gauges, when they arrived the pyro was reading 200deg we assumed it would "re-set" itself after instillation and power was added, no luck, I read it should read 100deg if you disconnect the leads at the gauge? It appears to be reading 200deg +- to hot at all readings, truck is mostly stock Diamond 4in straight pipe exhaust and cold air intake system gauge is responsive but should we actually ever hit 800deg truck unloaded highway speeds 40deg outside temps? We would be "ok"with the 200deg issue IF we knew the gauge was accurate the rest of the time, just stinks to try and buy American then have to settle..Thanks for the info guys...
My gauge is accurate to within 20* as compared to my laser temp finder, dont worry about it sitting at 200* not running. Mine has never given me a lick of trouble.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:50 AM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Stepper motor gauges do not reset to zero when turned off. They will reset when the key is turned back on, this is not something that is isolated to Autometer.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:53 AM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
I can't believe a pyro gauge the reads 200 when it is cold would be acceptable to anyone. But my ISSPRO EV2's are flawless!
Your EV-2's will do the same damn thing... When you turn the key off the gauge will stop at the current reading.

Stepper motors, just the nature of the beast.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:01 AM
fromnwmt
Freshman User
Seems to be self calibrating now

Originally Posted by CSIPSD
Your EV-2's will do the same damn thing... When you turn the key off the gauge will stop at the current reading.

My son called yesterday (Monday) and said the gauge jumps to 200deg +- when you turn the key on BUT when you start the engine the gauge clicks and moves to zero then back to 200deg and then raises as temps increase and has not been reading 800+ like it was when first installed, Why it decided to start working is a mystery but all seems well....Thanks everyone...

Old 03-13-2012, 10:41 AM
frankgh
Junior User
Originally Posted by CSIPSD

I think you misread me. Of course, if the gauge is not powered, it is not reading anything. My point was a gauge reading 130-200 degrees higher than ambient with the key turned on but the motor not yet started does not seem right to me.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:25 PM
fromnwmt
Freshman User
With key off

I think you misread me. Of course, if the gauge is not powered, it is not reading anything. My point was a gauge reading 130-200 degrees higher than ambient with the key turned on but the motor not yet started does not seem right to me.
With the key off our gauge is reading 200deg, from what many others have said theirs never read below 200deg EVER I personally am with you and think it should be reading ambient temp +- a few deg until after the truck is started but it appears autometer pyro's read no less then 200d3eg ever!! I am not impressed and we no doubt will eventually change it out for one that does.. Thanks for your update/calcification cant hurt to call them and inquire I guess,,

Old 03-13-2012, 03:51 PM
Bob Taulbee
Duct Tape Tech.
With the key off our gauge is reading 200deg, from what many others have said theirs never read below 200deg EVER I personally am with you and think it should be reading ambient temp +- a few deg until after the truck is started but it appears autometer pyro's read no less then 200d3eg ever!! I am not impressed and we no doubt will eventually change it out for one that does.. Thanks for your update/calcification cant hurt to call them and inquire I guess,,
I just went out and rechecked my pyrometer. When I looked at it with key off (after setting for about 4 hours ) the pyrometer reads 175 deg, when I srarted it it moved to 245 deg. in abour 10 to15 seconds. I got out and checked the exhaust temp. with a hand held temp gun it read 248 deg. It
never got above an idle. Why do you need it to show less than 200 deg when the exhaust gas temp will never be under 200 deg. Maybe they should have put a zeor in place of any readings below 200 deg. no gauge on the market will need to show anything under 200 deg. enough said

Old 03-13-2012, 04:25 PM
stemo76
Senior User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bob Taulbee
I just went out and rechecked my pyrometer. When I looked at it with key off (after setting for about 4 hours ) the pyrometer reads 175 deg, when I srarted it it moved to 245 deg. in abour 10 to15 seconds. I got out and checked the exhaust temp. with a hand held temp gun it read 248 deg. It
never got above an idle. Why do you need it to show less than 200 deg when the exhaust gas temp will never be under 200 deg. Maybe they should have put a zeor in place of any readings below 200 deg. no gauge on the market will need to show anything under 200 deg. enough said
I think it would help the problem if they didn't put a zero on the gauge, bottom the range at 200. When your gauge doesn't read accurate at any given point it doesn't give you a warm fuzzy that its reading correct at any other point.

Old 03-13-2012, 04:48 PM
frankgh
Junior User
Originally Posted by Bob Taulbee
Enough said? That is a little dismissive...

A thermal couple should read the temperature. Sure it may not be dead on ***** accurate at either extreme end of the scale but to read 200 when the probe is room temp would cast a long shadow on the validity of any other reading. The 1960's model aircraft I fly has a turbine inlet temp gauge and it cruises at 932 degrees. Wanna guess what it reads when it is powered but before the motor is started? Ambient. If it read anything else, it would get fixed because it is broke. Our truck's gauges are not as critical as an airplane so if you choose the live with whatever your stuff is doing that is up to you. I was just stating what my trucks gauges we're doing.

Old 03-13-2012, 05:18 PM
Bob Taulbee
Duct Tape Tech.
Enough said? That is a little dismissive...

A thermal couple should read the temperature. Sure it may not be dead on ***** accurate at either extreme end of the scale but to read 200 when the probe is room temp would cast a long shadow on the validity of any other reading. The 1960's model aircraft I fly has a turbine inlet temp gauge and it cruises at 932 degrees. Wanna guess what it reads when it is powered but before the motor is started? Ambient. If it read anything else, it would get fixed because it is broke. Our truck's gauges are not as critical as an airplane so if you choose the live with whatever your stuff is doing that is up to you. I was just stating what my trucks gauges we're doing.
The aircraft gauge cost more than a new truck, it should read to the thousand of a degree.