6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Importing truck into Canada

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 01:22 AM
caere
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Importing truck into Canada

Anyone do it before in a new truck that was financed?

I can't believe the price difference in a diesel f250 or f350. I'm looking in Fargo, North Dakota as I go there every spring for business. Just not sure how difficult it is to import. I'd be saving $12,000 on a new 2012. Here for a 2011 XLT they want $5,000 more than a new 2012.

I looked up and found that the 2011 and up f250 or f350 are accepted by customs.

Approx. $200 fee plus GST. But I'd pay GST on one here to. And need to give US customs 3 days notice. Seems simple enough. After I get it across then take to a certified mechanic for some sort of Canadian safety regulation thing.

Wonder if they'd take a trade in though? Nothing majorly different between trucks if you have the LCD info screen. You can change units of measure. But just the speedometer would be in mph or km/hr

Any thoughts?

Old 03-10-2012, 07:19 AM
dschuffert
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I suspect if you talk to a dealer near the boarder on the USA side they may be able to give you guidance on the pros and cons of doing so. I am sure people move both ways across the boarder all the time. I would be concerned about any hidden costs and then validate what impact, if any, you may have on where your warranty is serviced. I don't know if the factory warranty is a USA program for a USA truck or whether it is honored internationally regardless of where you purchased the truck.

Old 03-10-2012, 08:30 AM
8iron
Senior User
Go to Registrar of Imported Vehicles, they will have everything you need regarding importing vehicles into Canada. Beside the inspection ( no charge at Cdn Tire), I think daytime running lights are the only mods that need to be made. I have imported 2 travel trailers and a bobcat fom the US with no issues. Things I would check is warranty work and the actual prices, don't go off MSRP as Canadian vehicles usually have "price adjustments" based on current currency values. I think Ford is knocking off $8000 before price negotiations. Sorry if this is stuff you already know.

Old 03-10-2012, 08:44 AM
caere
Senior User
Don't all newer trucks have daytime running lights?

Yea, thx I checked the riv website.

Still not including mSRP with Internet pricing there's still over $10,000 difference. Hard to justify getting a 2011 with less options for $5,000 more here.

I'll call ford about warranty.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:08 AM
8iron
Senior User
Originally Posted by caere
Don't all newer trucks have daytime running lights?

Yea, thx I checked the riv website.

Still not including mSRP with Internet pricing there's still over $10,000 difference. Hard to justify getting a 2011 with less options for $5,000 more here.

I'll call ford about warranty.
Sounds like you are all over it.
Not sure about the daytime running lights, I know in the past it was necessary to have the headlight relay replaced so they were on all the time but If US models now have it no problem.

Post back when you hear from Ford about warranty work, shouldn't matter as the coverage is the same but who knows? Good luck.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:13 AM
B&LLandscaping
Senior User
I think you need to check into prices a liitle closer in Canada, maybe try out of province. I thought the same as you until I really got down to the final numbers, and then it was actually just as cheap or cheaper to buy up here, and that's not counting the the transportation costs, RIV, etc..., let alone the warranty issues.

You should be able to get close to invoice/x-plan plus incentives ($8250 cash right now).

Old 03-10-2012, 09:25 AM
caere
Senior User
Did you find a province with better pricing in particular?

How do you find invoice costs?

Old 03-10-2012, 10:50 AM
hay is for horses
Junior User
I saved $14,000 buying from usa, got lucky and local dealer went after it for me so they ar "involved" in the truck. Mine is a cab chassis. Daytime lights activation is in the computer dealership hooked it up and enabled it took 2 minutes.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:34 PM
darren32
Lead Driver

Received 736 Likes on 141 Posts
I bought my truck locally, in Canada to support my local economy.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:12 PM
B&LLandscaping
Senior User
Originally Posted by darren32
I bought my truck locally, in Canada to support my local economy.
X2.

From what I saw when I was looking a couple months ago, the price differences between CAN and USA trucks are within a couple thousand dollars max if you shop around.

I used to be all about saving whatever money I could by buying in the USA, but between my experience and the experiences of a few friends and family, I'd urge anyone to seriously do their homework before buying in the USA. It's a no brainer to save the money on some items, but when buying new vehicles and warranties are in play, it's a major factor. I've seen first hand the response you get trying to get your vehicle looked at up here when they find out it was bought in the USA, let alone get any kind of warranty coverage.

I used to scoff when people would say it, but a good relationship with your dealer, especially when you're talking about a $60,000 potentially finicky truck, is worth a lot more than the money you might save IMHO.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:00 PM
hay is for horses
Junior User
Originally Posted by B&LLandscaping
X2.

From what I saw when I was looking a couple months ago, the price differences between CAN and USA trucks are within a couple thousand dollars max if you shop around.

I used to be all about saving whatever money I could by buying in the USA, but between my experience and the experiences of a few friends and family, I'd urge anyone to seriously do their homework before buying in the USA. It's a no brainer to save the money on some items, but when buying new vehicles and warranties are in play, it's a major factor. I've seen first hand the response you get trying to get your vehicle looked at up here when they find out it was bought in the USA, let alone get any kind of warranty coverage.

I used to scoff when people would say it, but a good relationship with your dealer, especially when you're talking about a $60,000 potentially finicky truck, is worth a lot more than the money you might save IMHO.

I agree with you guys up to a point, however my local dealer was very accomadating to go to the USA for me might have something to do with the fact we have purchased 5 new f150 supercrews from the same dealer. The truck I wanted was a cab chassis 141" wheelbase which was not readily available in Canada the best deal in the states was only 4 hours away. Priced the truck on my own and dealer got it cheaper for me! I won every way possible they stated no issues with warranty more than happy to accomodate , they still pick up for oil changes and it is usually washed when they return them to the parking lot at work.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:37 PM
caere
Senior User
Found a nice '11 f250 XLT loaded to just about lariat trim. Got it under invoice cost! Just happened to stumble on it from the dealer I got the ecoboost from.

Truck seems great so far! Good mileage! Put on 40 km lol. Picking it up in a couple days.

I used a website that gave me invoice prices and I negotiated from there instead down from MSRP. But the one I bought was already marked down below dealer cost. So they were happy to move it and I was happy to find it! Wasn't interested in jumping through hoops for US prices. Besides the dealer in Fargo said wouldn't sell to Canadian directly. Rebate issue mb?

BL landscaping, you in Winnipeg? Your name rings a bell. Any chance you deal with Don Thomas at Parkside?

Old 03-14-2012, 07:00 AM
darren32
Lead Driver

Received 736 Likes on 141 Posts
Found a nice '11 f250 XLT loaded to just about lariat trim. Got it under invoice cost! Just happened to stumble on it from the dealer I got the ecoboost from.

Truck seems great so far! Good mileage! Put on 40 km lol. Picking it up in a couple days.

I used a website that gave me invoice prices and I negotiated from there instead down from MSRP. But the one I bought was already marked down below dealer cost. So they were happy to move it and I was happy to find it! Wasn't interested in jumping through hoops for US prices. Besides the dealer in Fargo said wouldn't sell to Canadian directly. Rebate issue mb?

BL landscaping, you in Winnipeg? Your name rings a bell. Any chance you deal with Don Thomas at Parkside?
Congrats!
Enjoy your new truck

Old 03-14-2012, 09:06 AM
B&LLandscaping
Senior User

Congrats on the truck and the good deal.

I'm in Calgary.