Sponsored by: Moser

RAM'S ANSWER TO ECOBOOST?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 08:28 PM
ArtsBest
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RAM'S ANSWER TO ECOBOOST?

The Ram 1500 is getting some new powertrain options, the Pentastar 3.6L V6 and an eight speed transmission. These new upgrades will bring the Ram into even closer contention with Ford’s Ecoboost engine.

The Pentastar has been a successful engine for Chrysler, and Ram is now the newest of a long list of vehicles to incorporate the motor. The current 3.7L V6 offering in the Ram 1500 puts out 215 hp, while the Pentastar 3.6L V6 will make 285 hp.

The new eight speed transmission ”reduces fuel consumption by up to 12 percent over our current five-speed transmissions,” according to a Chrysler group filing with the Securities and Exchange commission. The Pentastar and the six-speed operate at 14mpg in the city and 22mpg on the highway according to EPA estimates.

The filing also revealed that the newest generation Ram will utilize lightweight axle engineering to help reduce weight and therefore increase fuel efficiency.

The six cylinder Ford Ecoboost engine found in the F-150 gets 16mpg in the city and 22 mpg on the highway. The Ecoboost still beats the Ram when it comes to numbers, but surely the engineers at Ford are looking over their shoulders as the usually thirsty Ram gets a little leaner, and a little more appealing to buyers.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:52 PM
cficare
Cargo Master
Received 330 Likes on 195 Posts
And your point is?

Since Chrysler & GM sold out a few years back, I will never buy any of their new vehicles ... used maybe, new never ... and Lord how I wish I had bought a few thousand shares of F stock.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:13 PM
mtondreo
Senior User
My father has a brand new Ram 1500 and it is nice. This article does not show any type of threat to Ford though. Less horespower, "lighter duty axles", and an 8 speed transmission. These all look to me as a basic pickup for someone who does not really push the limits of their vehicle or really work it. It may be a good fit for some people, but I would have to see what this thing is really designed to do. I would see this as more of a competitor to the entry level 3.7 that Ford offers as opposed to against the ecoboost. I may have read the article wrong though. But it is good to see them making some strides to get trucks more efficient for light duty users. This looks to be a good replacement for their Dakota offering and an entry level half ton. Thanks, Mike

Old 03-09-2012, 10:41 PM
jonbar87
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dodge is already notorious for having horrible transmissions....I wonder how adding 3 more gears in there is going to help the situation at all....

Old 03-09-2012, 11:20 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Chrysler has had some issues with prior engine designs--the 2.7 V6 was a sludge monster; many of their transmissions had issues and I sure would not want to pay out of pocket to rebuild an 8 speed box...

I read that they were having some block porosity problems with the 3.6 and use some kind of sealer in the cooling system, but I remember being pretty uneasy when I read what I did. As with the EcoBoost, only the test of time will really tell us what will last and what won't.

As a Detroiter, I would like to see all of the Big 3 survive and do well, but am personally very partial to Ford. But I would much rather see people buy Dodge or Chevy instead of Toyota because it is putting food on my neighbor's table.

George

Old 03-10-2012, 12:55 AM
Pool Runner
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Honestly my F-150 has one more gear than I care for really I couldn't imagine eight. I bet that thing hunts like a hound when climbing grades, especially with a weak normally aspirated V6 mated to it.

Is Chrysler going to market this motor as an upgrade or even a mid offering? Seriously Fords base 3.7L beats this thing in ever category, lets not even talk about the 5.0L or 3.5L.

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]I was hoping to open this thread and read about a turbo Hemi or something to that tone. I'm leaving disappointed.

Old 03-10-2012, 04:59 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jonbar87
Dodge is already notorious for having horrible transmissions....I wonder how adding 3 more gears in there is going to help the situation at all....
I do find it funny how manufacturers like Dodge have put in the 8 speed transmission to increase their overall mpg in their vehicles. They did the same thing with the 300 Hybrid coming out in 2013.

Old 03-10-2012, 05:36 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
I read in Truck Trend that GM is adding an 8 speed and new engines to the 1500 twins in the upcoming redesign.

Ford's 6 speed isn't even 100% yet, could anyone imagine Ford adding two more gears?

Old 03-10-2012, 06:36 AM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I am guessing that the 8 speed transmission is probably like a 4 speed automatic with a 2-speed "transfer case" providing double the ratios, but it still has to be a complex unit. As does a 6 speed transmission. The alternative (and perhaps ideal) is moving to a CVT, but I don't think anyone makes one of those that can take the torque that truck use would require. And those have the inefficiency of needing a big pump to provide tension for the primary chain or belt drive. Manual transmissions, maybe with 6 speeds, would probably be ideal, but nobody drives a stick any more.

George

Old 03-10-2012, 06:53 AM
CruiserClass
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by YoGeorge
I am guessing that the 8 speed transmission is probably like a 4 speed automatic with a 2-speed "transfer case" providing double the ratios, but it still has to be a complex unit. As does a 6 speed transmission. The alternative (and perhaps ideal) is moving to a CVT, but I don't think anyone makes one of those that can take the torque that truck use would require. And those have the inefficiency of needing a big pump to provide tension for the primary chain or belt drive. Manual transmissions, maybe with 6 speeds, would probably be ideal, but nobody drives a stick any more.

George
ZF 8-Speed Automatic Transmission - YouTube

A promotional video for ZF's 8 speed, but it does show the internals and concept behind an 8 speed pretty nicely.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:52 AM
ArtsBest
Elder User
What's my point? Simple. Competition in the truck arena is intense. As for a beefed up 6 combined with a more complex transmission? I'm impressed and so will drivers with less stops at the gas station. I'm sure GM and Ford will answer Dodge's innovations.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:23 AM
03 SVT VERT
Senior User
The Pentastar + 8spd isn't an Ecoboost competitor. It's a competitor for Ford's 3.7L V6 base engine.

Supposedly they're still on track to release a small diesel in conjunction with Cummins. Wouldn't surprise me if that is their Ecoboost competitor.

Dodge/Ram has a very high take rate on the Cummins diesel in their HD trucks (~90%), so they probably see a greater opportunity for a small diesel than other manufacturers with a lower take rate.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:56 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Just what the 1/2 ton needs, lighter axles. Their current ones need a rebuild at 130k already...

Old 03-12-2012, 05:19 PM
Brandon150
Senior User
Manual transmissions, maybe with 6 speeds, would probably be ideal, but nobody drives a stick any more.

George[/QUOTE]

Not to hijack but... Nobody BUILDS a stick anymore. Besides Ram Heavy Duty

Old 03-12-2012, 05:54 PM
TheWhiteBeast
Elder User
Originally Posted by Brandon150
Manual transmissions, maybe with 6 speeds, would probably be ideal, but nobody drives a stick any more.

George
Not to hijack but... Nobody BUILDS a stick anymore. Besides Ram Heavy Duty[/QUOTE]

And it can't handle the full power of the Cummins so you end up with a less powerful motor vs the automatic.

Quick Reply: RAM'S ANSWER TO ECOBOOST?