1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion
Old 11-17-2014, 06:05 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Electrical Guides
Print Wikipost

5.4V8 DREADFUL SPARK PLUG ISSUE SOLVED !!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 11:17 AM
alloro
Received 4,194 Likes on 2,430 Posts
Originally Posted by Low n Brass
Was just wondering if an Electric/Cordless impact wrench would do the trick as well.
It should do the job just as well. The idea is to use the impacting to zip them out instead of just turning them as with a socket and ratchet.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:57 AM
mikepmosley
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not original plugs

I dont know if the gentleman who originated this article purchased this truck used or not, but having removed scores of these plugs I can tell you that those plugs in the picture Do Not appear to be the original plugs. The white ceramic in the combustion chamber is too clean and the platinum tips do not show evidence of much wear. Those look to be replacement plugs.

Old 07-17-2014, 11:04 AM
mikepmosley
New User
Also if you look @ the part number on the plugs he removed it shows pzh 14f...which is the newer style plug. Had he removed the original plugs in the manner he described at least some of them might have broken off...more likely when hot.

Old 07-17-2014, 11:10 AM
mikepmosley
New User
NOT ORIGINAL PLUGS

I dont know if the gentleman who originated this article purchased this truck used or not, but having removed scores of these plugs I can tell you that those plugs in the picture Do Not appear to be the original plugs. The white ceramic in the combustion chamber is too clean and the platinum tips do not show evidence of much wear. Those look to be replacement plugs.

Old 02-08-2015, 12:36 AM
sseivert
New User
This works perfect. Pulled all 8 with my air gun and replaced them with motor craft sp 515. 2006 90k

Old 02-08-2015, 01:07 AM
Skauber
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Getting ready to do this myself.. Mine only has 56k km (35k miles) on it, so hope that will make it easier. I got the newer SP 515 plugs, has anyone had these breaking when removing them, or do they truly solve this problem once and for all? To me it doesn't look like a 1-piece design, still looks like it's welded together like before but that's just me...

Old 02-08-2015, 02:39 AM
sseivert
New User
With the impact gun you will not have that problem again.
My friend is a mechanic and has removed hundreds with no broken
plugs.

Old 02-08-2015, 11:17 AM
alloro
Received 4,194 Likes on 2,430 Posts
Originally Posted by sseivert
This works perfect. Pulled all 8 with my air gun and replaced them with motor craft sp 515. 2006 90k
They look like they were overdue to be changed.

Old 03-31-2015, 05:22 PM
tmoore41
New User
Cool What to do now...leave Ford forever????

Thanks for the great thread and forum. I am constantly on another forum for my 95 Landcruiser (IH8MUD.com), and it is awesome as well.

My 07 F250 is my daily driver and work truck. It has the 5.4 3V. I have serviced it by the book at dealerships since purchasing it in 2010 with 22K miles. It now has 103K. I took it to dealership to replace the dreaded spark plugs as I did not want to take a chance screwing it up myself (thats what my 68 mustang and 95 Land Cruiser are for). Truck was running fine but I decided to go ahead and get the service done as the book stated. Dealer quoted $580. I agreed. They called back today and stated that three of the plugs broke off. Only problem is - one broke off deep in the head. They stated that even the extraction tool won't remove it. They now have to remove the head, order a an "extra special" extraction tool, remove the broken pieces, and put everything back together. I will only be charged an additional $700 - now we are approaching $1300 for changing plugs. I called Ford earlier. They stated that there is no evidence that there is documented spark plug problems and that I would be responsible for the repairs. I also quoted the TSB and was informed by Ford that my vehicle is not covered under the TSB 08-7-6. I don't see how this could be as my VIN clearly indicates 5.4 3V. And since my Truck is an 07, I highly doubt that my engine was manufactured later than October of that year. Either way, I don't see why the cost is being passed from Ford to the dealer and then on to me (the loyal Ford fan and customer for many years). I had planned on keeping this truck well past 200k. I am now thinking of selling both my mustang and the truck just so that I no longer am associated with FORD. Sorry for the long first post (venting a little bit).

Is the F250 with 3V 5.4 covered under TSB 08-7-6?
Anyone heard of an "extra special" extraction tool for plugs broken deep in head? (this is in addition to the original extraction tool)
Do I have any option but to pay Ford for the fix at this point?

Old 03-31-2015, 05:58 PM
sseivert
New User
plugs pulled

I just changed my plugs on my 2006 F 150 5.4l v3 91k. My friend (and mechanic) recommended I use an impact gun and I did at 150 psi. It busted the carbon off of the spark plug and came out with no problems. I used a torque wrench on install. My beef with the motor is both timing chain tensioners were bad and the timing chains shot. my truck has 91000 miles on it. I just replaced the left cam, 24 lifters, two rockers, timing chains, tensioners, timing chain guides. I ended up replacing water pump, belt and park plug coil packs all gaskets and crankshaft seal. Total cost of all parts $1200 (including exhaust manifold) and that was shopping for deals on new oem and oem equal parts. It took a week to finish it. I had the tools and ability although this was my first major engine repair. Truck looks and runs like new again. Now it's time to sell it and buy a GMC.

Old 04-21-2015, 09:15 PM
steve sepaugh
New User
Spark Plug Problem Solved

Go to aonrachtools.com and check out this tool. I used it and didn't break a single plug. It's amazing

Old 04-22-2015, 09:15 AM
Curless
Senior User
Just did my first one last week, tried this method...NOPE, not one came out...all 8 of em broke off...sucked, but I got them all out. Glad that some of you have had good results!

Old 04-22-2015, 09:20 AM
Skauber
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unfortunately, there's no magic cure for this. Some methods may improve the chances for them to come out, but if the vehicle has high mileage on the plugs and they are truly stuck in there, then there's no way around it. I think the best cure is to replace them at short intervals, before the carbon buildup gets too bad.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:41 PM
steve sepaugh
New User
leverage buffer tube

Originally Posted by Curless
Just did my first one last week, tried this method...NOPE, not one came out...all 8 of em broke off...sucked, but I got them all out. Glad that some of you have had good results!
Are you referring to the leverage buffer tube? If you are, and you said you tried it, what about it didn't work?

Old 04-23-2015, 08:22 PM
steve sepaugh
New User
Leverage buffer tube

Originally Posted by tmoore41
Thanks for the great thread and forum. I am constantly on another forum for my 95 Landcruiser (IH8MUD.com), and it is awesome as well.

My 07 F250 is my daily driver and work truck. It has the 5.4 3V. I have serviced it by the book at dealerships since purchasing it in 2010 with 22K miles. It now has 103K. I took it to dealership to replace the dreaded spark plugs as I did not want to take a chance screwing it up myself (thats what my 68 mustang and 95 Land Cruiser are for). Truck was running fine but I decided to go ahead and get the service done as the book stated. Dealer quoted $580. I agreed. They called back today and stated that three of the plugs broke off. Only problem is - one broke off deep in the head. They stated that even the extraction tool won't remove it. They now have to remove the head, order a an "extra special" extraction tool, remove the broken pieces, and put everything back together. I will only be charged an additional $700 - now we are approaching $1300 for changing plugs. I called Ford earlier. They stated that there is no evidence that there is documented spark plug problems and that I would be responsible for the repairs. I also quoted the TSB and was informed by Ford that my vehicle is not covered under the TSB 08-7-6. I don't see how this could be as my VIN clearly indicates 5.4 3V. And since my Truck is an 07, I highly doubt that my engine was manufactured later than October of that year. Either way, I don't see why the cost is being passed from Ford to the dealer and then on to me (the loyal Ford fan and customer for many years). I had planned on keeping this truck well past 200k. I am now thinking of selling both my mustang and the truck just so that I no longer am associated with FORD. Sorry for the long first post (venting a little bit).

Is the F250 with 3V 5.4 covered under TSB 08-7-6?
Anyone heard of an "extra special" extraction tool for plugs broken deep in head? (this is in addition to the original extraction tool)
Do I have any option but to pay Ford for the fix at this point?
try the leverage buffer tube. It's being introduced to ford dealerships in the austin texas area by Snap-on. If they follow the directions, the plugs won't break. Some threads have mentioned using an impact. The back cylinders are tucked under the firewall on f-150s. An impact won't even fit back there. Beware of dishonest threads. Contact me through aonrachtools.com if you have any questions. the tool I designed honestly works. I put many hours of hard work and preparation into this tool and procedure.

Quick Reply: 5.4V8 DREADFUL SPARK PLUG ISSUE SOLVED !!