Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-08-2012, 06:23 PM
Junior User

nortonrider is starting off with a positive reputation.
it's a 1960 f250 but it's not...

Following the spirit of GBSISSON's latest creation, below are some pics of my 1960 Ford F250 crew cab sitting on a 1977 Ford chassis. Donor was a 1998 6bt 12 valve with an NV4500 5 speed. Using an Autoworld mount which has been dropped 2". Conversion is being done by a fellow whose done a few fords but hasn't done one this old- he's doing a great job. Lot's of work left to do- have to figure out intercooler and cooling fan yet.

Sign In

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:05 PM
Postmaster

spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.
Sorry Nort, but I can't see your pics. I get a screen to sign into Hotmail when I click on the links.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:26 PM
Junior User

Well nuts... I'll have to scratch my head for a bit and come back with something better.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:41 PM
Postmaster

spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.
You can use Photobucket if you want. Here's a video someone made to help. How to upload pictures to the FTE Forums. - YouTube
Old 03-08-2012, 08:30 PM
Posting Guru

GB SISSON has a great reputation on FTE.GB SISSON has a great reputation on FTE.GB SISSON has a great reputation on FTE.GB SISSON has a great reputation on FTE.
With a 6bt you should be able to accelerate up hills!
'92 F350 4x4 dual wheel service truck. 7.3 with headers and glass packs. 5 sp man tran. 255 85 16 Toyos. 110,000 miles. '59 F350 9' flareside new project, cummins 6at turbo diesel, sm 465 4 spd. 255 85 16s again, 37 ford 1 1/2 ton stake with 53 flathead V8. 65 toyota landcruiser fj 45 longbed pickup. 54 GMC 3/4 ton flatbed w/ cummins 6at, '68 BSA 441 Victor Special, bone stock, Antique tractors and one lung flywheel engines .....
Old 03-08-2012, 08:57 PM
Junior User

So easy! Thanks Spurredon! Unfortunately I only had my phone camera...

Old 03-08-2012, 09:19 PM
Posting Guru

GB SISSON has a great reputation on FTE.GB SISSON has a great reputation on FTE.GB SISSON has a great reputation on FTE.GB SISSON has a great reputation on FTE.
Those are the 45 deg engine mounts I gotta build! Thanks for the great pictures.
'92 F350 4x4 dual wheel service truck. 7.3 with headers and glass packs. 5 sp man tran. 255 85 16 Toyos. 110,000 miles. '59 F350 9' flareside new project, cummins 6at turbo diesel, sm 465 4 spd. 255 85 16s again, 37 ford 1 1/2 ton stake with 53 flathead V8. 65 toyota landcruiser fj 45 longbed pickup. 54 GMC 3/4 ton flatbed w/ cummins 6at, '68 BSA 441 Victor Special, bone stock, Antique tractors and one lung flywheel engines .....
Old 03-09-2012, 11:44 AM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Those are the 45 deg engine mounts I gotta build! Thanks for the great pictures.
You may notice that the engine has a forward cant in those pics. That's 'cause it's not done! It should actually be leaning back a bit but it's tilted forward and the pan is resting on the x-member in those pics because the tranny isn't bolted up yet. Which is also why the mounts are compressed at the front. Seems the cummins is a little front heavy!
Old 03-09-2012, 07:19 PM
Posting Guru

had a girlfriend like that in high school.....ok, is that crossmember made from two paralell pieces of plate with a web in between? I'm talking about the one with the angled engine mounts in the photo. I have some 3/8 plate and I could make a cardboard pattern and cut them out with the torch. I'm pretty much at that stage now.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:42 PM
Junior User

That crossmember is stamped or formed on a jig from one piece of plate I think. Check out autoworldmt.com for pics of the mounts and x-members they make. they're also very helpful folks that are happy to answer questions. They've converted one '59 Fridge.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:23 PM
Posting Guru

Thanks, I'll check it out but I don't buy much. I got the engine set in today and I'll fab up a crossmember from stuff I have, but I like to see examples to copy.Today I stopped by a friend's shop to find a driveshaft and he told me to help myself to anything in the pile. I found what I needed and I will shorten it to fit. I used to spend a bit more on my trucks, but with being in a construction related business, I'm just glad I get to keep my house.And my SHOP! Your truck is Awesome btw......
Old 03-10-2012, 07:39 PM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Thanks, I'll check it out but I don't buy much. I got the engine set in today and I'll fab up a crossmember from stuff I have, but I like to see examples to copy.Today I stopped by a friend's shop to find a driveshaft and he told me to help myself to anything in the pile. I found what I needed and I will shorten it to fit. I used to spend a bit more on my trucks, but with being in a construction related business, I'm just glad I get to keep my house.And my SHOP! Your truck is Awesome btw......
Yup, good way to be- resourceful and less wasteful. I tossed that link in there more for you to get an idea- I was pretty sure you'd be making your own. They're not a cheap mount either. Truthfully I do feel a bit humbled that I'm having someone else do my conversion and have bought my mounts but I know with a new family and growing business it would be years before that rig saw the road. At least I'll be driving a truck that doesn't have a flat screen tv or park itself!
Old 03-11-2012, 02:40 PM
Postmaster

[quote=nortonrider;11557559]Yup, good way to be- resourceful and less wasteful. I tossed that link in there more for you to get an idea- I was pretty sure you'd be making your own. They're not a cheap mount either. Truthfully I do feel a bit humbled that I'm having someone else do my conversion and have bought my mounts but I know with a new family and growing business it would be years before that rig saw the road. At least I'll be driving a truck that doesn't have a flat screen tv or park itself![/quote]

Is that legal in the lower 48 ?
Old 03-12-2012, 01:12 PM
Junior User

Not sure. I'm in the upper 13 (10 provinces and 3 territories that is...).
Old 03-12-2012, 04:56 PM
Posting Guru

I raised 4 kids with having my own business that I started when I was 26 with a loan from the local bank. ( my english teacher would die with that sentence). I remember having no time to do ANY projects, and if your business is sucessful and you can treat yourself to an awesome 'one of a kind' truck, go for it. Most regular building contractors routinely dump 45,000.00 into a diesel pickup for work, and I even did that once. OK, it was 36,000 for a used 2002 super duty f350 I sold 3 years ago for 14,500. Worst investment I ever made, without exception. Forward this to your wife! Oh, and if it makes you feel better , an hour ago I bought a piece of 3'8 x 3" x 8' steel strap from napa for my mounts and it cost 70.00 !!! guess I shoulda stuck to rusty scrap..........
Old 03-12-2012, 04:56 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
1960, 6bt, f250, fte, pictures