Kansas Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: Flip4ford

delimma..

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 06:58 AM
Garden Spyder
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts
delimma..

Julie and I put our house up for sale a few weeks ago, about the same time we fell in love with a house across town.

We put a bid in on the house across town, and signed a contract, however, we got outbid, and we were heartbroken.

Recently I have been unhappy with work, and had decided it was time to change employment. It seems like time to try something different, to find a job I look forward to instead of one I have nightmares about. Julie and I were seriously talking about moving to Salina to be closer to my sister, to help her out, with all her health issues, and to be closer to my family and Julie's parents.

Last night on my way home from Emporia, Julie sent me a text message and let me know that house we fell in love with was up for sale again, we don't know why, but its available again.

Now, I am wondering, do stick with a job I am tired of to purchase a house that we love, or do I look for a job I love and put up with a house we settle for?

Old 03-08-2012, 07:14 AM
Flip4ford
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
A house is a thing-- you will get more things here and there--- do what you feel is right! Sometimes doing what is right is not doing exactlywhat you want

blah but what do I know?

Old 03-08-2012, 05:32 PM
bigswede
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dude.. No really... Dude... wow.. My opinion..umm.. It`s a crappy economy to quit a solid job right now unless you have something lined up. I`m not too fond of my job at times either but I do know it`s going to get better and I do have a nice raise coming in april. I`m not really into houses too much. I loved my 1 bedroom apartment I had when I was single, now I live in a 6 bedroom house that comes with plenty of headaches of it`s own. One thing I will say, do what needs to be done to keep the wife happy. Cause if she`s happy, usually everyone else is happy too.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:12 PM
Garden Spyder
Hotshot
wife says we can still conitnue to live in manhattan, but she won't let me work for Diebold anymore she doesn't like what it does to me.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:09 PM
husker
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts
I have book to give you Curtis. Ill bring it sat. or drop it off.

A bad job can kill you, but if you can do it make the change while you still work.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:49 PM
itsabullitt
Fleet Mechanic
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Have you made any mention of this to your boss or higher-ups? Maybe them knowing they would potentially be losing their go-to/get stuff done guy would convince them to help make life easier for you. At my previous job I also hated it. I would literally dread going to work every day, but would push through it because I was thankful I had a job. I finally had enough and moved on to my current place of employment. Best decision I could've made.

Like was said above, there will be other houses if this one doesn't work out. Do what's best for you, even if it means having to wait on a new house.

Good news though, Dorito tacos are now available.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:56 PM
Garden Spyder
Hotshot
Originally Posted by itsabullitt
Good news though, Dorito tacos are now available.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:14 AM
3cv
Senior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Garden Spyder
wife says we can still conitnue to live in manhattan, but she won't let me work for Diebold anymore she doesn't like what it does to me.
What kind of work do you do for Diebold?

Old 03-09-2012, 04:50 AM
82'Stepside
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
If I were in your shoes I'd look for different work too. I'm been blessed\spoiled with a job that pays ok and has excellent hours, I don't think I could pull off in a month what you do in a week! Gotta think of all the time you'll get back with family again too. Busting your hump for a house that you don't even have time to sleep at just isn't worth it IMO, and like it was said before there will always be more houses to choose from if this one falls through.

At least you aren't in Abilene, such a whopping house selection here! lol

Old 03-09-2012, 05:24 AM
Flip4ford
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
AS with good sex-- maybe it's not the job but the position that needs changed :-)

Old 03-09-2012, 06:49 AM
Garden Spyder
Hotshot
Originally Posted by 3cv
What kind of work do you do for Diebold?
its a broad spectrum, I repair, upgrade,install, maintain, and sell, safes, vaults, vaccuum automated tellers, ATMs, alarms, video surveilance, pill dispensers, Undercounter equipment, access control systems, and do it with a smile. I am the Senior technician/Team Leader, so for our team, I am the go to it/ getter done guy.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:04 AM
3cv
Senior User

Originally Posted by Garden Spyder
its a broad spectrum, I repair, upgrade,install, maintain, and sell, safes, vaults, vaccuum automated tellers, ATMs, alarms, video surveilance, pill dispensers, Undercounter equipment, access control systems, and do it with a smile. I am the Senior technician/Team Leader, so for our team, I am the go to it/ getter done guy.
Campus has been having trouble getting any applicants for IT jobs, a guy might have some good leverage in negotiating. But can't think of any I know of that would benefit from a more hands on hardware type experience at the moment.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:31 PM
Garden Spyder
Hotshot
Yeah, I have given consideration to applying on campus, but I don't know if "IT" jobs are for me. I understand networking, a little, but by no means feel like I could set up a secure network and know how to maintain it.

I actually got a call from a former Diebold tech wo had moved on to a different job and says he loves his new job, but he said that the only position open with his company was in KC, which doesn't appeal to me because I don't know if I want to raise my kids in such a large city. Also I haven't fallen in love with the idea of moving further from my family, and my wife's family.

However its not for sure that I will pass it off, I haven't completely written it off yet.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:24 PM
3cv
Senior User

I'm in pretty much the same position as you, I know its hard, and no fun. I've decided the job isn't going to force me to do something in the other areas of my life that I don't want to do unless its a situation where I find myself without a job at all. But I revisit it hourly every day it seems. Serenity now, as they said on Seinfeld.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:17 AM
Garden Spyder
Hotshot
My only real problem with my current company is the fact that they lack the help. Last week I was on call, and put in 91.8 hours, now I realize, a lot of that was drive time, but that is also some of my problem. When I get pushed that hard even drive time is dangerous, because I feel like I am going to fall asleep while driving. This week I put in about 60 hours, and I am not on call, starting Monday I am back on call again, and the situation has the potiential of being worse, because they have me on new installs every day of the week, which often run into the evening hours, on their own.
Mostly, its because I am tired, and there doesn't seem to be an end in site, just more and more work piled on us. To add to this, even though we are running 3 days behind on normal service calls, my manager threatened to let one of my team mates go, if we didn't all work today. I told him I was not going to work, today is my first day off for over 12 days, and starting Monday I start another 12 day run. I need these two days to recooperate and to get ready for next week.

Quick Reply: delimma..