Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Modular V8 (4.6L, 5.4L)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-07-2012, 08:10 PM
Elder User

Katmandu is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question How many Miles are on your 4.6/5.4 Modular Engine ?

Post as many details as possible.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:16 AM
Post Fiend

JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
As of yesterday 262K miles, third owner, regular maintenance such as dino oil changes every 3-4K miles, mostly highway driven as a daily driver weight at about 7800# in an '00 E250, had 203K miles when I bought it 4 years ago. Wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

Its a bit tired but dependable as can be---almost hate trading it off or installing a new engine, depends on what I can find for sale.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:37 AM
Elder User

Katmandu is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
As of yesterday 262K miles, third owner, regular maintenance such as dino oil changes every 3-4K miles, mostly highway driven as a daily driver weight at about 7800# in an '00 E250, had 203K miles when I bought it 4 years ago. Wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

Its a bit tired but dependable as can be---almost hate trading it off or installing a new engine, depends on what I can find for sale.
Thanks for taking time to reply JWA.

That's why I ask this question. I'm pondering on buying an old probably high mileage Expedition or F-Series soon.

It would be great if others would post.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:00 AM
Post Fiend

JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
Always glad to share something, even better when its something I actually know about!

You can try posting this in the forum particular to whatever vehicle you're looking to acquire---maybe some of those folks don't visit the engine forums too often?

Just adding since I'm more familiar with the V-8 & V-10 modular engines I'd jump on most any suitable vehicle with 150K or less miles. There's so much good info about their longevity so being armed with but a few things to check before buying, all courtesy FTE's forums its easy to proceed with confidence it'll be a good product.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:42 PM
New User

jw-F150sc is starting off with a positive reputation.
I am 2nd owner of 2008 F150 Super Crew with 93,500. So far, it is in near "new" condition! I opted for the 25k extended warranty just in case. I do know someone that has over 200k miles on theirs!!
Old 03-09-2012, 03:30 PM
Senior User

hookd is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just picked up a 2003 F150 XL 4x4 4.6l with 74700 on it. Finally back into the Ford world.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:49 PM
New Mexico Chapter LDR

CelticDevilDog has a superb reputationCelticDevilDog has a superb reputationCelticDevilDog has a superb reputationCelticDevilDog has a superb reputationCelticDevilDog has a superb reputationCelticDevilDog has a superb reputationCelticDevilDog has a superb reputationCelticDevilDog has a superb reputationCelticDevilDog has a superb reputationCelticDevilDog has a superb reputationCelticDevilDog has a superb reputation
I've got a 2005 5.4L 3V and it's got 63K on it. I'm the third owner of it and we had issues with the spark plugs so far. But those issues were soon resolved thanks to all the info from everyone on FTE. I look forward to owning mine for 200+K miles.
Click here to join the NM chapter.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:03 PM
Posting Guru

Caleb1 has a brilliant futureCaleb1 has a brilliant futureCaleb1 has a brilliant futureCaleb1 has a brilliant futureCaleb1 has a brilliant futureCaleb1 has a brilliant futureCaleb1 has a brilliant futureCaleb1 has a brilliant futureCaleb1 has a brilliant futureCaleb1 has a brilliant futureCaleb1 has a brilliant future
My bosses wife has an expedition with a 5.4 and 263,000 on it and running strong. His super duty has a 5.4 with only 150 thousand somethin but it gets used haulin a small load almost the time and shows no signs of chokin

No truck at the moment...soon to be a big honkin' gas guzzlin' 4x4!
Old 03-16-2012, 08:17 PM
New User

jameslongjr is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thumbs up

I am a very proud owner of 2006 ford f150 xlt supercrew 4x4 5.4l with 180,000 miles on it. been lucky so far with no problems. just recently put on true dual flowmaster 44series, cold air intake, jet performance maf sensor, accel coil over plug and new plugs, air raid tbs spacer, skyjackers 2 inch leveling kit, 295/70r/17 falken wildpeak A/T, and would honestly say no amount of money could buy this truck from me. i love my FORD!!!
Old 03-16-2012, 11:44 PM
Elder User

Half Breed is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Half Breed is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Thumbs up High

I have a 97 f-150 XLT with 290K, (really more than that) The Odometer and Trip meter stopped working about 2 months ago. I am just getting around to pulling the cluster and sending it to have it repaired. This engine runs well but I beleive the valve seals are bad. It puffs a litlle white smoke at crank up but then you can run the dog s--- out of it and it doesn't produce any noticeable smoke. the pipes are fairly clean. I add quart of oil about between oil changes. (aprox. 4-5K miles) I have been considering the same question and because the body on this truck is so straight I beleive I'm going with a new motor, maybe even a crate of some type.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:49 AM
New User

ccarpen4753 is starting off with a positive reputation.
98 F150 5.4

Have had it for 3yrs
Bought it with 163k
Has 236k now

Getting tired, but ive only put maybe $1200 in parts and $700 of that was tires. Damn good truck.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:51 AM
New User

ccarpen4753 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarpen4753 View Post
Have had it for 3yrs
Bought it with 163k
Has 236k now

Getting tired, but ive only put maybe $1200 in parts and $700 of that was tires. Damn good truck.
Oh its a 98 f150, forgot to put that.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:08 AM
Senior User

F250CCowner is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Breed View Post
I have a 97 f-150 XLT with 290K, (really more than that) The Odometer and Trip meter stopped working about 2 months ago. I am just getting around to pulling the cluster and sending it to have it repaired. This engine runs well but I beleive the valve seals are bad. It puffs a litlle white smoke at crank up but then you can run the dog s--- out of it and it doesn't produce any noticeable smoke. the pipes are fairly clean. I add quart of oil about between oil changes. (aprox. 4-5K miles) I have been considering the same question and because the body on this truck is so straight I beleive I'm going with a new motor, maybe even a crate of some type.
Good call. My 2003 F250 is so clean people often mistake it for a 07 model. The truck only has 73K on the ODO but when the engine dies i'll be just installing a new ford engine and trans. Its cheaper then a new car payment and the truck is just a great solid vehicle.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:15 AM
Post Fiend

My '00 with its 262K + miles is also being considered for a new engine swap---trans done at the same time. Ford sells a long block with 3 year/50K mileage warranty for about $2700. If I don't find a suitable replacement van sometime before next winter the engine change is cheap enough to make it more than worthwhile.

I know a few shops that'll do the swap for less than $1K, I supply all parts or pay them for anything they use. Refreshing the 4R70W trans will cost me another $800 so for just under $5K total I've got a nearly new van---certainly a lot less than something brand new. Given my good luck with this motor its a no-brainer to install the same thing if it comes to that.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:32 AM
Senior User

F250CCowner is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Not to mention I think the new Super Duty's look like dooty. LOL I just cant stand the front end. I have driven and rode in them and they are spectacular in that respect but in the looks dept the 99-07's are my fav.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:32 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Modular V8 (4.6L, 5.4L)

Tags
46, 54l, buy, cord, engine, expedition, f150, ford, high, lasted, mileage, miles, repairs, truck, v8