General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

why do hotels ask if you have any special request?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 05:08 PM
helifixer
Lead Driver
Received 3,652 Likes on 1,126 Posts

so I am sitting here in the same hotel I stay in every year at this time listening to the traffic and jets, when I booked 2 months ago I requested a room on the West side of the hotel. I check in and all they have is on the East side with a main road and departing airline traffic, so why do they even ask?

Old 03-07-2012, 10:23 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Diabetic visitors are permitted a free mini fridge for insulin storage.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:28 AM
ford2go
Cargo Master
Received 142 Likes on 87 Posts
It probably falls into just that category -- 'requests' -- if they can do it, they will, if not, oh well.

We always request ground floor, and generally get it, but it's not guaranteed. I usually book online, and they often say something like ' requests are not viewed until the day of the reservation'.

They probably have to do that, since it's for things that they can only do for a few people.

Probably doesn't hurt to ask again when you check in -- some clerks probably never check on stuff like that.

hj

Old 03-08-2012, 05:39 AM
KC8QVO
Cargo Master
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by helifixer
so I am sitting here in the same hotel I stay in every year at this time listening to the traffic and jets, when I booked 2 months ago I requested a room on the West side of the hotel. I check in and all they have is on the East side with a main road and departing airline traffic, so why do they even ask?
If it is a popular event you are attending that sounds like it would be a popular request If everyone asks for the same thing and all the western rooms fill up what do you do?

When I was in Florida in December I had the same problem for 3 nights. Popular area, busy road, young idiots with sports cars doing burn outs in the parking lot and traffic lights at 11:00 at night... That was some good sleep, let me tell ya.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:14 AM
fmc400
MSEE
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
I think it's more geared toward people with disabilities or special needs (health-related, etc).

Old 03-10-2012, 10:44 AM
Buck 1
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I always request a ground floor room. If I get there and they say one is not available, I tell them to cancel my reservation while I call my credit card company to tell them the same thing. It is amazing! Within a minute or two they always " find " the room I requested. Never settle!

Old 03-10-2012, 08:30 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
~I'm imagining asking for a "GROUND FLOOR ROOM" at a state park campsite......

Old 03-11-2012, 06:49 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
Originally Posted by fmc400
I think it's more geared toward people with disabilities or special needs (health-related, etc).
We always ask for a handicap accessible room which basically means ground floor and a larger shower with no bath tub for my wife as her knees have been replaced and she needs the easier access.

The last time we stayed in a hotel that didn't happen even tough our reservations were booked weeks in advance. Needless to say, we got a free voucher for another stay in one of their many hotel chains.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:26 PM
ManfredVonRichtofen
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like to request a 1 hour back massage. Oh, and a waxing of my man chest hair.

That's what I would ask....

Nah..

Old 03-12-2012, 12:09 AM
Sand_Man
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Buck 1
I always request a ground floor room. If I get there and they say one is not available, I tell them to cancel my reservation while I call my credit card company to tell them the same thing. It is amazing! Within a minute or two they always " find " the room I requested. Never settle!
Oh yeah! Last year my wife had to have a series of foot surgeries out of the area. Because she was using crutches, we needed a ground floor room. One time, we made our reservations about a month ahead of time, but upon arrival (at 11 PM) we were informed that our room was on the second floor and that no other rooms were available. I showed the desk zombie our printout confirmation, complete with the ground-floor room number and chewed some butt about how I held up my end of the bargain, pre-paid for the room, called ahead that morning, etc and they needed to explain when the staff was going to carry my wife up that flight of stairs since some dumb-*** can't honor their end. They magically found us a very nice ground floor room and an apology...

Old 03-12-2012, 06:17 AM
00BlueOvalRanger
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife had to go to NYC on a business trip last year, and she stayed in a "W" Hotel (Weston).

They said that IF you have a special request, they will do their best to 'make it happen'.

The hotel manager told my wife of a couple that wanted the bathtub filled with champagne.

And, one couple requested (and got) their bathtub filled with warm chocolate.
The manager told my wife, that the hotel requests 24 hour notice on 'special requests' like that.

I'd hate to be the maid that has to clean up that!!

Me???? I wouldn't mind an hour-long back massage.