6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Lariat rear seat leather or ????

Old 03-11-2012, 05:06 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
In my experience the lariat leather does not respond to true leather conditioners and such. The product just coats the material and it never gets absorbed. It's due to the vinyl impregnation and coating. We can just use any cleaner or vinyl protectant. Can't really do anything but clean and protect from UV light.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:14 AM
cummins cowboy
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my '07 mustang had leather on the front seats on the seating surfaces, vinyl on the sides and back of the seats. the entire back seating are was actually vinyl. don't know about fords but vinyl was also used on the back seats.

these days you have to be careful because they are doing what called vinyl impregnated leather and calling it leather. the chair I am sitting on as I type this was once a really really nice $250 "leather" chair that I bought from costco. now the edges are wearing through and its fraying, because its really vinyl impregnated leather. no where near as durable. honestly I would not mind raw untreated but oiled leather, it would never wear out.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:49 PM
Lastwagen
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ruschejj
In my experience the lariat leather does not respond to true leather conditioners and such. The product just coats the material and it never gets absorbed. It's due to the vinyl impregnation and coating. We can just use any cleaner or vinyl protectant. Can't really do anything but clean and protect from UV light.
I use Zymol leather conditioner on leather seats monthly or more often. It helps to keep the leather from wearing, especially on the outside edge where you slide over it. Starched jeans are hard on leather and the conditioner seems to keep it slick. Also, it removes the blue dye that blue jeans rub into the leather.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:26 PM
FishingNut
Elder User
Originally Posted by Lastwagen
I use Zymol leather conditioner on leather seats monthly or more often. It helps to keep the leather from wearing, especially on the outside ecge where you slide over it. Starched jeans are hard on leather and the conditioner seems to keep it slick. Also, it removes the blue dye that blue jeans rub into the leather.
Yea, what's up with the seats and blue jeans....I noticed it too.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:15 PM
rangeron
Freshman User
Never heard of starched jeans.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:25 PM
aaronbrace
Mountain Pass
Ford has quietly switched out the rear leather seats for premium vinyl on many of their vehicles. Frankly it is very hard to tell the difference IMHO. I was looking at a loaded Fiesta about a month back and you could tell the rear seats were vinyl if you looked really hard. The only way I could tell was by looking at the 'grain' pattern of the material.

According to the 2012 SuperDuty order guide it is STILL rear leather seats with a Lariat as long as you get the crew cab. If you have a Lariat Supercab them the rear jump seats are listed as 'Premium vinyl seating surfaces'.

---Aaron

Old 03-13-2012, 07:50 PM
Tuxedo Scorpion
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronbrace
Ford has quietly switched out the rear leather seats for premium vinyl on many of their vehicles. Frankly it is very hard to tell the difference IMHO. I was looking at a loaded Fiesta about a month back and you could tell the rear seats were vinyl if you looked really hard. The only way I could tell was by looking at the 'grain' pattern of the material.

According to the 2012 SuperDuty order guide it is STILL rear leather seats with a Lariat as long as you get the crew cab. If you have a Lariat Supercab them the rear jump seats are listed as 'Premium vinyl seating surfaces'.

---Aaron
yup thats what i saw too. glad i got the crew cab. but for many other reasons than the seats.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:41 AM
Lastwagen
Senior User
Originally Posted by rangeron
Never heard of starched jeans.
Starched jeans are jeans that you have to push a boom handle through the legs just to get started. Then you can run your hand and arm into them to peel them open. Then you stand them upright on the floor where they will stand on their own.

Those are starched jeans.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:36 PM
Michael53
Senior User
Lastwagen - before checking, I knew you had to be from back home - Texas. I don't see starched jeans anymore. When I moved to N. Illinois from outside Housing in 2000 and took my boot jeans to the dry cleaner/laundry to have them washed and starched, they did them wrong - flat with the seam and no crease. Argh! Today anytime I take my boot jeans in I always tell them how to do them correctly.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:01 PM
Tuxedo Scorpion
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Lastwagen
Starched jeans are jeans that you have to push a boom handle through the legs just to get started. Then you can run your hand and arm into them to peel them open. Then you stand them upright on the floor where they will stand on their own.

Those are starched jeans.
who the hell would want that. sounds miserable.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:09 AM
Lastwagen
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tuxedo Scorpion
who the hell would want that. sounds miserable.
Jeff Foxworthy, Ryan Seacrest, Gov Rick Perry, Garth Brooks, to name a few. I don't usually anymore because today it is acceptable to dress sloppy.