Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-07-2012, 05:51 AM
Freshman User

German Joe is starting off with a positive reputation.
Triton V10 6.8 oilchange

Hi there,

have a motorhome with Triton V10 6.8. After how many miles should I change the oil? I have no manual
What kind of oil should I buy? What does a oilchange costs?
Is there something what I have to do for a long engine life? (change spark-plugs etc) Has 85000 mls on the speedo.
Thanks
Old 03-07-2012, 06:03 AM

redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.
The oil change interval depends on how much you drive the motorhome. 3-5000 miles is a safe interval for a normal vehicle, 6 months is good for a vehicle that isn't used much.

You didn't say what year the motorhome is, or whether the engine is a 2 valve or 3 valve engine. Recommended oil can be 5w-20 or 5w30. Use Motorcraft or Wix filters. Avoid Fram.

Post the year and we can probably find a downloadable copy of your owners manual for you, or go to this link and download an F-53 motorhome chassis for the proper year.

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdi...S-EN&YEAR=2004

2007 F-250 Super Cab Short Bed 4x4 XLT Sport Package 5.4L 3.73LS Tow Command

Stuart
Retired Master Sergeant

FTE Guidelines
Old 03-07-2012, 06:11 AM
Posting Guru

TrdLtly has a superb reputationTrdLtly has a superb reputationTrdLtly has a superb reputationTrdLtly has a superb reputationTrdLtly has a superb reputationTrdLtly has a superb reputationTrdLtly has a superb reputationTrdLtly has a superb reputationTrdLtly has a superb reputationTrdLtly has a superb reputationTrdLtly has a superb reputation
Good Morning German Joe. You can probably find your answer by searching over in the V10 forum: Modular V10 (6.8l) - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums Good reference for later for you also if you run into problems or want to make some changes.

Based on your public profile, see if this works for you: http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pub.../99nmgmg3e.pdf
Old 03-07-2012, 10:12 AM
Freshman User

Sorry, but the links are not working....there is an error......
Itīs a 1999, but I donīt know whether 2 or 3 valves
Joerg
Old 03-07-2012, 10:16 AM
Elder User

barthel has a good reputation on FTE.barthel has a good reputation on FTE.
JayBarthel
If it's a '99 then it's a 2 valve.

I have a 2000 (basically the same engine) and use synthetic 5W-30. Since I don't put too many mile a year on my truck but it's "severe" duty (always towing) I change mine about every 4 months.

"0-60 takes 5 and a half seconds...and about 17 gallons of fuel...."
Old 03-07-2012, 11:09 AM
Postmaster

Kajtek1 has a very good reputation on FTE.Kajtek1 has a very good reputation on FTE.Kajtek1 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Time based oil changes are not necessary, especially when you live in dry climate that doesn't trigger condensation. Oil in my motorhome is about 5 years old and I had the synthetic in my boat for 5 years since it was parked on the land.
Bear in mind that the same engine burns about double the fuel than it does in a pickup, so if don't stretch the mileage based intervals too much.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:13 AM
Elder User

barthel has a good reputation on FTE.barthel has a good reputation on FTE.
JayBarthel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1 View Post
Time based oil changes are not necessary,
I think I change mine so often just for peace of mind, rather than an actual "need". I ask a lot of my truck and spend LOTS of time in dusty, off road environments. I guess I feel it's the least I can do, not like it's going to do any harm.

"0-60 takes 5 and a half seconds...and about 17 gallons of fuel...."
Old 03-07-2012, 11:19 AM
Posting Guru

Sand_Man has much to be proud ofSand_Man has much to be proud ofSand_Man has much to be proud ofSand_Man has much to be proud ofSand_Man has much to be proud ofSand_Man has much to be proud ofSand_Man has much to be proud ofSand_Man has much to be proud ofSand_Man has much to be proud of
+1 on that. My theory is that nobody ever lost a motor due to the oil being too clean.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:30 AM
Freshman User

I only drive 3000 mls a year, because the motorhome is just for vacations in the USA.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:11 PM
Postmaster

Kajtek1 has a very good reputation on FTE.Kajtek1 has a very good reputation on FTE.Kajtek1 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand_Man View Post
+1 on that. My theory is that nobody ever lost a motor due to the oil being too clean.
The truth is that oil quality plays small role in engine life. I am pretty sure any today's engine will run for over 100,000 miles even on cooking oil.
Years ago I worked with a guy who never changed oil in his Nissan truck and added oil only when the red light would stay for over a minute.
By the time I changed the job, he logged 140,000 miles still running perfect. That was in 1980's when not too many engines having oil change 3000 would last for 140k.
Contamination aside, modern oils changed too soon do damage the engine. Again the difference will be not noticeable for owners, but the chem pack and overdose of detergents in new oil is calculated for recommended intervals, so changing the oil at 1/2 of recommended interval is draining perfectly balanced oil and dumping excess of chemicals with a new one.
The OP might confirm it, but lot of cars in Europe run 40,000 km on oils.
Than how many of us care if the engine will last 800,000 miles, or only 750,000?
Ops this is a thread about gasser. Ignore my last numbers.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:49 PM

redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.
Here is a link to download your owners manual in PDF format.

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pub.../99motog4e.pdf

Ford recommends 5w-30

Here is a link to download your maintenance schedule.

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pub.../99nmgmg3e.pdf

Right click on the link and select SAVE AS or SAVE TARGET to save a copy on your PC.

2007 F-250 Super Cab Short Bed 4x4 XLT Sport Package 5.4L 3.73LS Tow Command

Stuart
Retired Master Sergeant

FTE Guidelines
Old 03-07-2012, 07:25 PM
Elder User

Boss08v10 is a splendid one to beholdBoss08v10 is a splendid one to beholdBoss08v10 is a splendid one to beholdBoss08v10 is a splendid one to beholdBoss08v10 is a splendid one to beholdBoss08v10 is a splendid one to beholdBoss08v10 is a splendid one to behold
I had an 28' 2003 E450 class C V10 and used ford motorcraft 5w 20 and the motorcraft filter. Changed it every spring and fall. Towed a 29' enclosed trailer its whole life and never skipped a beat.
1994 F150 SB 4x4 4.9 5 spd kids ride
1990 Mustang 5.0 bracket racer
Old 03-07-2012, 07:29 PM
Post Fiend

dkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by German Joe View Post
I only drive 3000 mls a year, because the motorhome is just for vacations in the USA.
If it were me I would use a synthetic 5w-30 like Pennzoil Platinum and change it once a year. Use an FL-820s oil filter. Check oil level on a regular basis. A motorhome is a "severe duty" application.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:12 PM
Posting Guru

Sand_Man has much to be proud ofSand_Man has much to be proud ofSand_Man has much to be proud ofSand_Man has much to be proud ofSand_Man has much to be proud ofSand_Man has much to be proud ofSand_Man has much to be proud ofSand_Man has much to be proud ofSand_Man has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1 View Post
The truth is that oil quality plays small role in engine life. I am pretty sure any today's engine will run for over 100,000 miles even on cooking oil. ...Ignore my last numbers.
When you post completely ridiculous statements like the first one, it's quite easy to ignore pretty much everything you say.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:36 PM
Post Fiend

dkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand_Man View Post
When you post completely ridiculous statements like the first one, it's quite easy to ignore pretty much everything you say.
Touche

Oil can go to crap with age especially dino oil. Only way is to do a UOA. Thing is for the cost of a UOA I could do a change with PP and an Fl820s oil filter. We are only talking 6 quarts of oil here. If I could get 5w-30 Motorcraft oil in 5 qt jugs readily I would probably use that.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:36 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty

Tags
2006, 2010, 68, 68l, capacity, change, engine, f53, filter, ford, gas, manual, motorhome, oil, owners, put, triton, v10