Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-07-2012, 04:14 AM
Senior User

MS82F150XLT is starting off with a positive reputation.
Fuel selector valve 3 or 6 port?

Hi All,
I'm planning to bring my 82 f150 xlt w/big six back to the world of two tanks where she belongs. When searching for a new selector valve I have two options, 3 or 6 ports. Which one is correct? Thanks!!!!
Old 03-07-2012, 11:51 AM
Posting Guru

JimsRebel has a good reputation on FTE.JimsRebel has a good reputation on FTE.JimsRebel has a good reputation on FTE.
BWD FSV1 - Fuel Tank Selector Valve | O'Reilly Auto Parts

I would just use a universal one.
1986 F150 XLT Lariat 4x4 300 C6, 9 inch 3:50, 235-15 tires, sway bars, DS2 w/ GM 4 pin and no computer; 3G ALT swap, PMGR starter; 120,000 miles, 2nd owner
Old 03-07-2012, 02:37 PM

ctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputation
ctubutis ctubutis ctubutis
If you don't have return lines (part of fuel injection) then the 3-port is indicated.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:17 PM
Senior User

cliffordingles is starting off with a positive reputation.
You probobly have a 3 port. my 86' F-250HD has the 6 port.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:33 PM
Senior User

Thanks Jim, Clifford and Ctubutis!!! I'm gonna look online tonight and either order on the web or get the parts at the zone or o'rieley. Gotta buy sending unit, valve and tank.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:05 PM
Senior User

Have you looked at yours? It's located inside the frame rail on drivers side pretty much at the front of the bed. It's very easy to find and you should really look at yours before you get a new one...
Old 03-07-2012, 06:59 PM

Franklin2 has much to be proud ofFranklin2 has much to be proud ofFranklin2 has much to be proud ofFranklin2 has much to be proud ofFranklin2 has much to be proud ofFranklin2 has much to be proud ofFranklin2 has much to be proud ofFranklin2 has much to be proud ofFranklin2 has much to be proud ofFranklin2 has much to be proud of
The 460's, diesels, and some of the fuel injected trucks take the 6 port because like was said, they have fuel return lines to both tanks. All the other engines with regular engine mounted pumps and carbs have the 3 port.

1989 F250 XLT Diesel
Old 03-07-2012, 07:03 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin2 View Post
The 460's, diesels, and some of the fuel injected trucks take the 6 port because like was said, they have fuel return lines to both tanks. All the other engines with regular engine mounted pumps and carbs have the 3 port.

Mine has a 351W with the 6 port... I was told the 6 port came on the HD's
Old 03-07-2012, 07:32 PM

ctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputation
HD, LD isn't the correct criteria to use; what matters is the fuel system - return lines or not.

"HD's" before EFI won't have 6-port valves as there are no return lines, they came about with EFI.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:33 PM
Post Fiend

81-F-150-Explorer is a splendid one to behold81-F-150-Explorer is a splendid one to behold81-F-150-Explorer is a splendid one to behold81-F-150-Explorer is a splendid one to behold81-F-150-Explorer is a splendid one to behold81-F-150-Explorer is a splendid one to behold81-F-150-Explorer is a splendid one to behold
1982 = 3 port.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctubutis
"HD's" before EFI won't have 6-port valves as there are no return lines, they came about with EFI.
Unless it has hot fuel handling. Carbed 460's notoriously had vapor lock. The fuel on these were constantly circulated to prevent this, to cool the fuel off. Hot Fuel Handling = 1984+
Old 03-07-2012, 07:41 PM
Senior User

I'm not saying your wrong but my truck is factory and i'm the second owner. Mine has the 6 port along with the return fuel lines and a carb...

When i went to the parts store to replace it like a year ago i was given the 3 port then found out mine is a 6 port. I took it back and the guy said mine must be a HD. It was an option in his computer.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81-F-150-Explorer View Post
Unless it has hot fuel handling. Carbed 460's notoriously had vapor lock. The fuel on these were constantly circulated to prevent this, to cool the fuel off. Hot Fuel Handling = 1984+
Yeah, it just now occurred to me when I saw the reply from you - you're telling me how I'm wrong or how I forgot something, *then* I remembered about the hot fuel handling stuff.

I was honestly wondering to myself if feedback carbs have them but I seem to remember not.... local guy here brought his truck to my house about 8 months ago, had a 6-banger with a feedback carb, we disconnected the fuel inlet line and I don't at all remember there being any return lines so I was kinda out on a limb there and not at all thinking of 460s and all their woes.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:36 PM
Senior User

I looked and my truck doesn't have return lines. I have the mech pump on the block. I did look briefly at the valve when I had the truck on the rack but hadn't paid attention then as everything was disconnected from it. After hearing everyone's advice it sure seems there is no chance I need a six port. The pump only has one line in and one out. The carb has one in and none out.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:00 PM
Post Fiend

81-F-150-Explorer is a splendid one to behold81-F-150-Explorer is a splendid one to behold81-F-150-Explorer is a splendid one to behold81-F-150-Explorer is a splendid one to behold81-F-150-Explorer is a splendid one to behold81-F-150-Explorer is a splendid one to behold81-F-150-Explorer is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS82F150XLT View Post
I looked and my truck doesn't have return lines. I have the mech pump on the block. I did look briefly at the valve when I had the truck on the rack but hadn't paid attention then as everything was disconnected from it. After hearing everyone's advice it sure seems there is no chance I need a six port. The pump only has one line in and one out. The carb has one in and none out.
You need the 3 port valve.

The Hot Fuel Handling and EFI 6 port valves started in 1984.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:15 PM

Listen to 81-F-150-Explorer, *he* is an expert, I'm just a backyard apprentice.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:15 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
1994, 50, 86, f150, f250, ford, fsv1, fuel, port, replacement, selector, series, slector, tank, valve