Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bipolar shifting E4OD

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 11:19 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
one step at a time.no point in worrying about the unknown just yet.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:30 PM
My Good 'ol 92
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One last thought, is it possible that the MLP sensor could be a culprit for any of this? And thanks a million for all the help!!

Old 03-08-2012, 04:59 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Talking stay focused on the solenoids/wiring.

Originally Posted by My Good 'ol 92
One last thought, is it possible that the MLP sensor could be a culprit for any of this? And thanks a million for all the help!!
not likely.your not getting a code for it,and the symptoms for a failed MLPS are generally wrong gear starts or slipping into neutral going down the road.
it's not your primary suspect at this time.
your welcome.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:09 PM
My Good 'ol 92
Freshman User
Hello all! i hate to bring out the old thread again, but im just giving an update. the solenoid pack, and pack plug test good! I was talking to someone at the local autoparts store, and he suggested that there could be a vacuum leak to the transmission. Maybe my transmission has life in it after all? Has anyone else experienced anything similar to this? my truck also idles poorly, which makes the idea of a vacuum leak seem more realistic. So now I ask you experts out there, does this sound realistic?

Thank you!!

Old 04-10-2012, 08:15 AM
rla2005
Hotshot
Received 1,164 Likes on 919 Posts
Your transmission is not vacuum controlled, it's 100% electronic controlled. Many times those counter-jockeys have no idea what they are talking about. So no, that theory sounds unrealistic.

The PCM relies heavily on feedback from the TPS for transmission control. Even though there is no code it may be time to start measuring sensor values starting with the TPS.

TPS info: Fuel Injection Technical Library » Throttle Position Sensor (TPS)

Old 04-10-2012, 08:26 AM
92will
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had veery similar problems with my E4OD for quite some time while trying to figure it out. I checked everything imaginable but mine ended up being the TPS. I never did get any TPS codes because of the intermittant conditon. Also, I had put 4 TPS's on prior to finally going to FORD and buying one from them. I have not had any problems since. From some reason, the after market has a hard time manufacturing a quality TPS. \

Anyway, you can look at old threads from my user name and see all the posts. Good luck!

Will

Old 04-10-2012, 04:08 PM
My Good 'ol 92
Freshman User
That may be the issue 92will. I have replaced the TPS, but it is aftermarket. How much did that part cost from ford?

Old 04-10-2012, 04:34 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Refilling that transmision is a delicated task, how did you go about it? did you just pour ATF until the dipstick marked full and called it good?, well it doesn't work like that. Your have to fill before starting the engine up to the full dipstick mark (that should take 4-5 qts), then start the engine and start pouring some qts, until you reach a total of 12, then with the engine already warm, check the level again, after that keep going until there are up to 12 more qts in there (it could be less), filling 1 qt at a time and measuring with the dipstick. Btw, did you drain the torque converter when replacing the ATF?, if you didn't there there are 4 qts or more of old fluid in there mixed with the new ATF you poured. My personal guess is you didn't follow the fill-up procedure and the tranny is lacking fluid.

To measure the ATF level: Get on a level surface after the engine/transmision have been working and are in their operating temperature, then, while iddling in park, pull the dipstick out, that should give you a proper reading.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:06 PM
My Good 'ol 92
Freshman User
Yes. I followed the procedure, and I know how it works. I did NOT drain the torque converter, but I drained it twice from the pan in the month so there's only about two old quarts mixed in with the good 12. I did pump the fluid through and the level is perfect when the engine is running at operating temperature.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:58 PM
rla2005
Hotshot
Received 1,164 Likes on 919 Posts
Originally Posted by My Good 'ol 92
Yes. I followed the procedure, and I know how it works. I did NOT drain the torque converter, but I drained it twice from the pan in the month so there's only about two old quarts mixed in with the good 12. I did pump the fluid through and the level is perfect when the engine is running at operating temperature.
I disagree with your procedure above, but I do not think it is causing your issue. There is a "ton" of fluid in the converter, simply draining the pan is not sufficient to adequately purge the old contaminated fluid, even doing the pan twice IMHO.

We now return to our regularly scheduled programing.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:09 PM
92will
Senior User
The best I can remeber is the TPS from Ford was like $89. It was basically the same price as the premium one from NAPA. The first couple I bought were from Advanced Auto parts. One of those burnt my computer up. i Have had bad luck with TPS's but finally this one from Ford is working pefectly. I have read several places that people say when it comes to the "delicate" type of sensors and switches, to go to the dealership and get the quality part.

It is possible that your problem is something else, but mine did the same thing and it was the TPS. Good Luck!

Old 04-10-2012, 07:21 PM
ntruderrider
New User
close to same problem

although 1st to 2nd smooth, 2nd to 3rd seems to pause to me but the telltale is 3rd to OD under modest throttle, will go from 3k to 2.5k to 2.3k (within one to two seconds) on the Tach, although it is smooth and doesnt seem to "slip". I gather that the second drop is the Lock Up that every one mentions. even on hard excel I dont get the impression that it slips. I have pulled the codes, there are zero codes.
I read about the fluid change mentioned above, what about the power flush fluid changes offered at places like Jiffy Lube and what not?

Old 04-11-2012, 05:50 AM
92will
Senior User
Mine did not mess up under hard acceleration either. Seems like the bad spots in my TPS were where I drive normally. I never received any codes either, thats what was so hard to diagnose. After doing everything everyone suggested, I finally bought the new TPS and all has been well since.

I am not saying this is what your problem is, but I have went through the same thing. Unlike most other sensors, the TPS affects A LOT! If the TPS has bad spots in it, it will affect the way the engine runs and how the tranny shifts, because the computer thinks you just went to wide open throttle then closed throttle and everything inbetween all of a sudden. Everytime you lift your foot off of the throttle, the tourqe converter unlocks. If you have a dead spot in the TPS, it will unlock the converter when it is not supposed to.

If you are going from 3k to 2.5k that quickly, that probably has something to do with the locking of the converter.

I know I was ready to set my truck on fire!! But I finally figured it out. Good Luck!!

Old 04-11-2012, 10:52 AM
My Good 'ol 92
Freshman User
Thanks for all the help everyone. I purchased a new TPS and I'm gonna see how that works!

Old 04-11-2012, 06:41 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
wow a lot of us had this trouble due to a bad TPS and without it throwing the code too.
the only code i got was the one telling me converter slip (62) but i already could tell that part myself.when she doesn't lock in 3rd,and remains open in 4th,you kinda can't miss that on your own. so the pcm was of no help that time.

Quick Reply: bipolar shifting E4OD