1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Super Dutys Get Gas Alternative

Old 03-06-2012, 06:57 PM
Ford-Trucks Editors
Host
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Super Dutys Get Gas Alternative

Read it here: New Super Duty Trucks Get Gas Alternative

CNG equipped Super Duty trucks are on the horizon! Westport and Ford announced their partnership at the Indianapolis Work Truck show today, revealing their plan to sell bi-fuel trucks from Ford dealerships. Strangely, Ram announced a similar truck earlier today. There are even rumors that GM will soon head down the same path.

But what do you think. Is CNG a good compromise? Is it right for you?

Old 03-06-2012, 07:43 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I have no problem using CNG if I can run gas too. We just need a lot more CNG infrastructure (filling stations) for vehicles to use.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:01 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Theres a surprising number of CNG stations here. You do have to look for them.. But you dont have to drive far before you see a CNG sign directing you to one.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:35 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
I wouldn't ever be the first one to buy anything.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:39 PM
jh818
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
How long does it take to fill the tank with CNG? Hope it isn't as long as charging the battery in an electric vehicle.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:22 PM
gddyup
Senior User
CNG? Not such a bad idea. However, without infrastructure, which accounts for almost 98% of the country, it's useless. Sure... if you buy the CNG truck and then purchase the CNG filling apparatus for your house, which the federal gubernment will surely provide hefty tax breaks for, then have at it....

Just don't get stuck too far outside your comfort zone with no fuel....

Old 03-06-2012, 10:54 PM
JKBrad
Received 799 Likes on 585 Posts
Make it a V10 and I'll order one as soon as the books open!

Old 03-07-2012, 07:01 AM
bdka4
Freshman User
Won't be the first

Old 03-07-2012, 07:18 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Will they be coming stock from the factory with rust?

Old 03-07-2012, 07:39 AM
Byram
Posting Guru

Article I read said Bi-Fuel - so I assume it can run on Gas also... Westport put a plant next to the KTP and claims another 72 hours to order time on new truck.

Several oil companies here in Texas have committed to change part of their fleet to CNG...

All the pictures I have seen - it looks like the tank is in the place where the tool box is - right behind the cab & so that won't work for me - I live out of my tool box...!

Old 03-13-2012, 04:06 PM
copracr
Mountain Pass
1. How much does this option cost?
2. Reliable?
3. What's the mileage? Is this another "breakthrough" that improves mileage by a whole 10% ?

I really get tired of hype. A diesel ranger from the 80's gets 30mpg. I have had multiple vehicles that got mid high 20's - with a carb sometimes. They can brag when they break 50 mpg. Till then I'm not impressed, and I'm not buying a brand new vehicle when used ones are just as good

Old 03-13-2012, 05:37 PM
LazarusRising
New User
Goodbye to us truck campers! Did you see the bed obstruction?

Old 03-13-2012, 07:32 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by LazarusRising
Goodbye to us truck campers! Did you see the bed obstruction?
Yeah that isn't going to work for me. They have to come up with a tank that fits under the truck. They do it with LP tanks so they can do it with CNG.

3. What's the mileage? Is this another "breakthrough" that improves mileage by a whole 10% ?
From my understanding the CNG is not meant to really increase mpg. It is meant to increase range, (have CNG and can switch to gas) reduce emissions output and provide cheaper fuel. Natural Gas is quite cheap right now despite the price of oil being up.

We already have a large natural gas infrastructure we just need CNG refilling stations. From where I sit if CNG is used in larger class 8 trucks and fleets first that may help the filling station infrastructure to grow.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:47 PM
Chinookman
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I guess after reading the Black Berry posts pounding the tablet and the new OS release and these negative comments I take it that to be part of normal human behavior. That said, the free market will open up the infrastructure within due time. Fork lifts have been using nat. gas forever and they burn clean. If the cost is several thousand less then the diesel then I'm in.

After my 2003 gives out I'm done with oil burners. Thank you modders for twisting the warranty issue for your own transgressions and thank you EPA for your political gains over sound balance of economy and good stewardship of our resources. My IQ of one salutes you both! On the upside remember we own the Non-Bail-out edition of trucks.

The truck is a beaut. and in two years when I retire this will be my choice if it is around. Although MPGs are a consideration my F-250 has just been such a work horse that I cannot see buying a lesser truck just fo rmpgs alone.

I'll drive the wife's Lariat for that... he ... come on folks let's give these guys a break and see if they can break ground. All the point about the tools box is a good valid point and I'm looking at the positive that the final product will get many tweaks.

Cheers yah'll

C-man...

Old 03-13-2012, 10:18 PM
LazarusRising
New User
CNG is a great start, I agree

But what are we RVers who use trucks to tow, or carry our RVs when they have to get the MPG up to 55? It can't be done on trucks. I get 10 MPG carrying my camper on the back of my new 250 with a 6.2L. Is there a different standard for trucks than cars?

RVing may be a thing of the past with these gas prices, and with the model I see presented, the CNG tanks obstruct the bed significantly, so no truck camper. Might as well buy an Expedition.

Also Saved by Grace.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Super Dutys Get Gas Alternative