Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-06-2012, 07:42 PM
Freshman User

DaXman is starting off with a positive reputation.
Need opinon on Lift..????

Zup guys,,,i'm kinda new to the Diesel world (had a 2004 F350 6.0 way back)

Now i have a 2003 Excursion 2x4. All i've done to it is install a 2008 front end, now i want to have the lifted look.
I wanted to go 6" lift, with some wheels, but i hear that the 2x4 models need a 8-9" lift to look high enough.

Please give me some input,opinions,recomendations....Thanks.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:05 PM
Postmaster

hasteranger is a name known to allhasteranger is a name known to allhasteranger is a name known to allhasteranger is a name known to allhasteranger is a name known to allhasteranger is a name known to all
high enough for what?
Old 03-06-2012, 09:33 PM
Junior User

Swagtastic is starting off with a positive reputation.
high enough to clear a midget without touching
2000 Limited, 6.8L V10, 4X4. Pro Comp 22210 front leafsprings & Rancho 9000's, 4 inch tapered lift block, Monroe Reflex rear shocks, Mile Marker manual locking hubs, Roof Clearance lights, 55 watt driving lights (soon to be 100 watt) Helwig rear sway bar.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:35 PM
Postmaster

hasteranger is a name known to allhasteranger is a name known to allhasteranger is a name known to allhasteranger is a name known to allhasteranger is a name known to allhasteranger is a name known to all
Better make it 30" with at least 38's to be safe, since midgets have to be under like 4'10". I wouldn't want the safety of my midget riding on anything less.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:03 PM

Toreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputation
Gotcha covered...

I lifted my truck 5 years ago and have gone through this process enough to write a very detailed book on it.

You really only have two options when it comes to a 2wd lift: Procomp or Fabtech.

I went with the Procomp lift becuase they offered one type of lift with no variations. Fabtech on the other hand had a "basic" and "performance" 2wd lift kit which only made things confusing.

The procomp kit comes with a full leaf spring pack for the rear (NOT an add-a-leaf and block) as well as a full coil and the necessary hardware for the to get the front lifted.

You can buy the Procomp kit anywhere, but DO NOT buy it or anything from 4wheel online. They have the worst customer service, lost parts of my lift kit, and made many promises they never delivered on.

Things they don't tell/give you:

-You will need to purchase the pitman arm becuase they changed the amount of splines somewhere between early 2001 and late 2001. Since yours in an '03 you'll obviously need the later pitman arm.

-This isn't something you can in your driveway. I would highly recommend a shop doing the work as it not something you can do in your driveway.

-As far as tires, you CAN fit the recommended 35s on the factory 16 inch mags using size 315/75/16. In the 5 years I've been running the stock rims, I've never had a problem with the front end. (I.e. uneven tire wear, hubs falling apart, bad ball joints, etc)

-Yours being a diesel, the min and max you can go is 6 inches

-If you plan on regearing, you will need 4.10 gears to match the 35s to your 3.73s

Since installing my lift, my truck rides, drives, much better and is a night and day difference from stock.

Bottom line: It's one of the best things you can do for your truck
Excursion & 6.7 Forum Mod Death Row Inmate #21
Black Beauty The Mighty 6.0: 2005 Ford Excursion Limited, 4wd "The 6.0" Bulletproofed by Powerstroke Enginuities Straight pipe, Atlas 40, Heavily RiffRaff'd, and Gearheaded
Big Red Beast The Mighty Excursion: 2001 Ford Excursion Limited, 2wd, "The 7.3" Built with blood and sweat by Me and Riffraff Diesel, heavily modded, also Gearheaded
FTE Guidelines
Old 03-07-2012, 01:31 AM
Senior User

popups4rent is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
What he said, except I did mine before the Fabtech kit came out and I run a 20" rim. I had mine done at 4 Wheel Parts, cannot recommend them.

You will also need to find a shop that can do a real alignment. The factory specs will chew up your tires.

My lift has 122K miles on it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel View Post
Gotcha covered...

I lifted my truck 5 years ago and have gone through this process enough to write a very detailed book on it.

You really only have two options when it comes to a 2wd lift: Procomp or Fabtech.

I went with the Procomp lift becuase they offered one type of lift with no variations. Fabtech on the other hand had a "basic" and "performance" 2wd lift kit which only made things confusing.

The procomp kit comes with a full leaf spring pack for the rear (NOT an add-a-leaf and block) as well as a full coil and the necessary hardware for the to get the front lifted.

You can buy the Procomp kit anywhere, but DO NOT buy it or anything from 4wheel online. They have the worst customer service, lost parts of my lift kit, and made many promises they never delivered on.

Things they don't tell/give you:

-You will need to purchase the pitman arm becuase they changed the amount of splines somewhere between early 2001 and late 2001. Since yours in an '03 you'll obviously need the later pitman arm.

-This isn't something you can in your driveway. I would highly recommend a shop doing the work as it not something you can do in your driveway.

-As far as tires, you CAN fit the recommended 35s on the factory 16 inch mags using size 315/75/16. In the 5 years I've been running the stock rims, I've never had a problem with the front end. (I.e. uneven tire wear, hubs falling apart, bad ball joints, etc)

-Yours being a diesel, the min and max you can go is 6 inches

-If you plan on regearing, you will need 4.10 gears to match the 35s to your 3.73s

Since installing my lift, my truck rides, drives, much better and is a night and day difference from stock.

Bottom line: It's one of the best things you can do for your truck
2004 EB X 6.0 2WD, everything except 2nd row caps and 4WD, 6" Pro Comp, MX6 adjustable shocks, Hellwig rear sway bar, MT ATR 35X12.5, 4:10 gear, AFE Stage 2 and intake elbow, BPD oil cooler, Sinister EGR delete and coolant filter, SCT, MBRP turbo back 4" with CAT test, 30% tint, color match splash guards, Prodigy, Sirius
Old 03-07-2012, 08:28 AM
Freshman User

DaXman is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks toreador_diesel & popsuos4rent...........I will probably do that, except i will put some 20" wheels.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:34 AM

Toreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by popups4rent View Post
What he said, except I did mine before the Fabtech kit came out and I run a 20" rim. I had mine done at 4 Wheel Parts, cannot recommend them.

You will also need to find a shop that can do a real alignment. The factory specs will chew up your tires.

My lift has 122K miles on it now.
Forgot THE MOST important part in all this!!!

popups4rent is correct, factory specs will eat new tires in a short amount of time...

You need to find an alignment specialty shop becuase the alignment kit Procomp offers WILL NOT align your truck correctly. Alignment specialty shops have the proper cast and camber kit to make sure your alignment is dead on.
Black Beauty The Mighty 6.0: 2005 Ford Excursion Limited, 4wd "The 6.0" Bulletproofed by Powerstroke Enginuities Straight pipe, Atlas 40, Heavily RiffRaff'd, and Gearheaded
Big Red Beast The Mighty Excursion: 2001 Ford Excursion Limited, 2wd, "The 7.3" Built with blood and sweat by Me and Riffraff Diesel, heavily modded, also Gearheaded
FTE Guidelines
Old 03-07-2012, 08:36 AM
Freshman User

kdbd4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I put a FabTech kit under my old excursion. Def have a professional do it, may cost a bit, but you'll avoid the headaches!
Old 12-19-2013, 02:07 AM
New User

chopped50ford is starting off with a positive reputation.
Scrambold Egg
i have a pro comp lift on mine and it rides very nice. 6" lift.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:31 AM
Senior User

RobRoss has a good reputation on FTE.RobRoss has a good reputation on FTE.
Maybe this guy can help? It is a 4x2. 2004 Ford Excursion
Old 12-21-2013, 08:54 PM
FTE Chapter Leader

hav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputation
Why on earth would it be something you can't do in your driveway?!

I've managed to do lots of lifts/4x4 conversions/axle swaps and what not in the driveway. What's so hard about this?

Dave

2003 Excursion Limited, V10, 4.88s, 315/75R16s on 16x10s
100% posting from iPhone
Old 12-22-2013, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hav24wheel View Post
Why on earth would it be something you can't do in your driveway?!

I've managed to do lots of lifts/4x4 conversions/axle swaps and what not in the driveway. What's so hard about this?
With the 2wd coil upfront and the drilling and dis-assemling that has to happen, it's always best to have a lift and a shop.

It's not as easy as it is with front leaf suspension trucks. I watched them do mine and even helped, it wasn't easy.
FTE Guidelines
Old 12-22-2013, 12:29 AM
FTE Chapter Leader

hav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputation
Can't be any harder than a TTB pickup like my old 94 F150. Pop out some rivets, drill some holes, bolt on some brackets, put in new springs, shocks, brake lines, and tires/wheels.

I know it's a bit of work, bit I've done lifts on TTB rigs in 6 hrs with floor jacks, jack stands, and basic hand tools. A torch, drill, and air tools make things easier of course.

Dave

2003 Excursion Limited, V10, 4.88s, 315/75R16s on 16x10s
100% posting from iPhone
Old 12-22-2013, 12:29 AM