Need opinon on Lift..???? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums



Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion SPONSORED BY:

Need opinon on Lift..????

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 03-06-2012, 07:42 PM
DaXman's Avatar
DaXman DaXman is offline
Freshman User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 49
DaXman is starting off with a positive reputation.
Need opinon on Lift..????

Zup guys,,,i'm kinda new to the Diesel world (had a 2004 F350 6.0 way back)

Now i have a 2003 Excursion 2x4. All i've done to it is install a 2008 front end, now i want to have the lifted look.
I wanted to go 6" lift, with some wheels, but i hear that the 2x4 models need a 8-9" lift to look high enough.

Please give me some input,opinions,recomendations....Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-06-2012, 09:05 PM
hasteranger's Avatar
hasteranger hasteranger is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 5,056
hasteranger has much to be proud ofhasteranger has much to be proud ofhasteranger has much to be proud ofhasteranger has much to be proud ofhasteranger has much to be proud ofhasteranger has much to be proud ofhasteranger has much to be proud ofhasteranger has much to be proud ofhasteranger has much to be proud of
high enough for what?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-06-2012, 09:33 PM
Swagtastic Swagtastic is offline
Junior User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 78
Swagtastic is starting off with a positive reputation.
high enough to clear a midget without touching
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-06-2012, 09:35 PM
hasteranger's Avatar
hasteranger hasteranger is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 5,056
hasteranger has much to be proud ofhasteranger has much to be proud ofhasteranger has much to be proud ofhasteranger has much to be proud ofhasteranger has much to be proud ofhasteranger has much to be proud ofhasteranger has much to be proud ofhasteranger has much to be proud ofhasteranger has much to be proud of
Better make it 30" with at least 38's to be safe, since midgets have to be under like 4'10". I wouldn't want the safety of my midget riding on anything less.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-06-2012, 11:03 PM
Toreador_Diesel's Avatar
Toreador_Diesel Toreador_Diesel is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 10,199
Toreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputation
Gotcha covered...

I lifted my truck 5 years ago and have gone through this process enough to write a very detailed book on it.

You really only have two options when it comes to a 2wd lift: Procomp or Fabtech.

I went with the Procomp lift becuase they offered one type of lift with no variations. Fabtech on the other hand had a "basic" and "performance" 2wd lift kit which only made things confusing.

The procomp kit comes with a full leaf spring pack for the rear (NOT an add-a-leaf and block) as well as a full coil and the necessary hardware for the to get the front lifted.

You can buy the Procomp kit anywhere, but DO NOT buy it or anything from 4wheel online. They have the worst customer service, lost parts of my lift kit, and made many promises they never delivered on.

Things they don't tell/give you:

-You will need to purchase the pitman arm becuase they changed the amount of splines somewhere between early 2001 and late 2001. Since yours in an '03 you'll obviously need the later pitman arm.

-This isn't something you can in your driveway. I would highly recommend a shop doing the work as it not something you can do in your driveway.

-As far as tires, you CAN fit the recommended 35s on the factory 16 inch mags using size 315/75/16. In the 5 years I've been running the stock rims, I've never had a problem with the front end. (I.e. uneven tire wear, hubs falling apart, bad ball joints, etc)

-Yours being a diesel, the min and max you can go is 6 inches

-If you plan on regearing, you will need 4.10 gears to match the 35s to your 3.73s

Since installing my lift, my truck rides, drives, much better and is a night and day difference from stock.

Bottom line: It's one of the best things you can do for your truck
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-07-2012, 01:31 AM
popups4rent popups4rent is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 143
popups4rent is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
What he said, except I did mine before the Fabtech kit came out and I run a 20" rim. I had mine done at 4 Wheel Parts, cannot recommend them.

You will also need to find a shop that can do a real alignment. The factory specs will chew up your tires.

My lift has 122K miles on it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel View Post
Gotcha covered...

I lifted my truck 5 years ago and have gone through this process enough to write a very detailed book on it.

You really only have two options when it comes to a 2wd lift: Procomp or Fabtech.

I went with the Procomp lift becuase they offered one type of lift with no variations. Fabtech on the other hand had a "basic" and "performance" 2wd lift kit which only made things confusing.

The procomp kit comes with a full leaf spring pack for the rear (NOT an add-a-leaf and block) as well as a full coil and the necessary hardware for the to get the front lifted.

You can buy the Procomp kit anywhere, but DO NOT buy it or anything from 4wheel online. They have the worst customer service, lost parts of my lift kit, and made many promises they never delivered on.

Things they don't tell/give you:

-You will need to purchase the pitman arm becuase they changed the amount of splines somewhere between early 2001 and late 2001. Since yours in an '03 you'll obviously need the later pitman arm.

-This isn't something you can in your driveway. I would highly recommend a shop doing the work as it not something you can do in your driveway.

-As far as tires, you CAN fit the recommended 35s on the factory 16 inch mags using size 315/75/16. In the 5 years I've been running the stock rims, I've never had a problem with the front end. (I.e. uneven tire wear, hubs falling apart, bad ball joints, etc)

-Yours being a diesel, the min and max you can go is 6 inches

-If you plan on regearing, you will need 4.10 gears to match the 35s to your 3.73s

Since installing my lift, my truck rides, drives, much better and is a night and day difference from stock.

Bottom line: It's one of the best things you can do for your truck
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-07-2012, 08:28 AM
DaXman's Avatar
DaXman DaXman is offline
Freshman User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 49
DaXman is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks toreador_diesel & popsuos4rent...........I will probably do that, except i will put some 20" wheels.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-07-2012, 08:34 AM
Toreador_Diesel's Avatar
Toreador_Diesel Toreador_Diesel is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 10,199
Toreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by popups4rent View Post
What he said, except I did mine before the Fabtech kit came out and I run a 20" rim. I had mine done at 4 Wheel Parts, cannot recommend them.

You will also need to find a shop that can do a real alignment. The factory specs will chew up your tires.

My lift has 122K miles on it now.
Forgot THE MOST important part in all this!!!

popups4rent is correct, factory specs will eat new tires in a short amount of time...

You need to find an alignment specialty shop becuase the alignment kit Procomp offers WILL NOT align your truck correctly. Alignment specialty shops have the proper cast and camber kit to make sure your alignment is dead on.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-07-2012, 08:36 AM
kdbd4 kdbd4 is offline
Freshman User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 43
kdbd4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I put a FabTech kit under my old excursion. Def have a professional do it, may cost a bit, but you'll avoid the headaches!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-19-2013, 02:07 AM
chopped50ford chopped50ford is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Yucaipa USA
Posts: 12
chopped50ford is starting off with a positive reputation.
i have a pro comp lift on mine and it rides very nice. 6" lift.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-20-2013, 10:31 AM
RobRoss's Avatar
RobRoss RobRoss is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Flat Rock, MI
Posts: 960
RobRoss has much to be proud ofRobRoss has much to be proud ofRobRoss has much to be proud ofRobRoss has much to be proud ofRobRoss has much to be proud ofRobRoss has much to be proud ofRobRoss has much to be proud ofRobRoss has much to be proud ofRobRoss has much to be proud of
Maybe this guy can help? It is a 4x2. 2004 Ford Excursion
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-21-2013, 08:54 PM
hav24wheel's Avatar
hav24wheel hav24wheel is offline
FTE Chapter Leader
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 10,916
hav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputation
Why on earth would it be something you can't do in your driveway?!

I've managed to do lots of lifts/4x4 conversions/axle swaps and what not in the driveway. What's so hard about this?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-22-2013, 12:21 AM
Toreador_Diesel's Avatar
Toreador_Diesel Toreador_Diesel is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 10,199
Toreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by hav24wheel View Post
Why on earth would it be something you can't do in your driveway?!

I've managed to do lots of lifts/4x4 conversions/axle swaps and what not in the driveway. What's so hard about this?
With the 2wd coil upfront and the drilling and dis-assemling that has to happen, it's always best to have a lift and a shop.

It's not as easy as it is with front leaf suspension trucks. I watched them do mine and even helped, it wasn't easy.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-22-2013, 12:29 AM
hav24wheel's Avatar
hav24wheel hav24wheel is offline
FTE Chapter Leader
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 10,916
hav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputationhav24wheel has a superb reputation
Can't be any harder than a TTB pickup like my old 94 F150. Pop out some rivets, drill some holes, bolt on some brackets, put in new springs, shocks, brake lines, and tires/wheels.

I know it's a bit of work, bit I've done lifts on TTB rigs in 6 hrs with floor jacks, jack stands, and basic hand tools. A torch, drill, and air tools make things easier of course.
Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
lift kit recommendations for a 6/77 low boy F-250 4x4? Chris Popanz 1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks 23 11-29-2015 12:14 PM
Need some lifted superduty measurements please. 3/4ton4X4 1999 to 2016 Super Duty 3 08-31-2014 01:55 AM
Lift Advice 4" or 6" ClayX Excursion - King of SUVs 24 01-03-2014 02:12 PM
Lift need for my truck to clear 35s Ken904 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 0 12-26-2013 12:37 AM
Opinions on lift kits for 86 f250 4x4 Eallend7 1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 11 11-19-2012 06:45 AM


Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums >

Tags
124, 2x4, coil, excursion, fabtech, ford, fts, lift, ranger

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:03 PM.


This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. FordŽ is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.