6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

6.0L Excessive smoke, Intermittent

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 03:50 PM
Dans2Fords
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Home - Diesel Filters,Additives,brake rotors, and brake pads for Chevy, Dodge and Ford Diesel Trucks

They have great prices for the OEM brand filters. Racor is the manufacturer for the filters and then Motocraft slaps their brand on them.

For normal vehicles, the Napa gold filters are great, but for this engine design, the OEM cap and filter are the best.

Mine had an aftermarket cap and filter, and after I switched back to the OEM, you do notice the engine running smoother, starts easier, and various other improvements.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:50 PM
Dans2Fords
Mountain Pass
There is actually a video floating around here showing why the OEM one is the best.

I'll look around and try to post it up for you.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:55 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 135 Likes on 79 Posts
On the oil filters, I think the deal is Ford and Raycor ( the actual manufacturer) have been very "protective" of the patents on these filters. The aftermarket responded by fudging the dimensions and slightly changing the design. Many if not all of the aftermarket designs have a problem either not closing the drain back valve in the bottom of the filter housing, not keeping the bypass valve closed on the top of the standpipe, or not sealing properly around the base of the standpipe. To make matters worse, most of the aftermarket caps are taller and if you put a Motorcraft/ Raycor filter under one of these caps it can float up and down inside the filter housing and have ALL the problems mentioned above!
All that being said, I don't think that or the fuel pressure spring is causing your smoking problem. I would pull the EGR valve and inspect and clean it first just because it's easier, and then check the down pipe for signs of oil. That should get you started down the right path. Good luck with it!

Oh yea, if you use solvent on the EGR valve, be careful not to get any in the two little holes on the underside of the electrical end.

Last edited by Rusty Axlerod; 03-07-2012 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Add
Old 03-07-2012, 04:45 PM
joe_r_dog
Senior User
What he said^^^. I was just saying that because the new spring is better and will make sure u don't lose any injectors from low oil pressure. As for the problem, pull the egr valve first and a new gasket kit for it is only $6. Also, how long since ur last fuel filter change?

Old 03-14-2012, 10:07 AM
Sweetrocks
Freshman User
Alright so here it is. Truck was NOT smoking before service, Changed back to a motorcraft filter and cap. Started it up right after the oil change so the engine was still warm. Truck instantly blow blue smoke!! So that blew the filter idea out of the water. I then pulled the EGR out, It wasnt clogged as bad as the pictures Ive seen on the internet. I replaced it anyhow. Started the truck and the truck still smoked, but not as it was. So I decided to take the truck for a good hard run. (Im a HYD mechanic, and I try my best to maintain our fleet trucks, and I don't drive them alot) Anyways after I put the coal to her, the smoking cleared up, just regular exhaust..... Going to tell the guys to drive it like they stole it, see if it stay clean. I havent looked at the turbo.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:20 AM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts
I dont think the wrong filter could cause smopke

Yes every so often once a week for me Drive like you stole it keeps the turbo veins working

Old 03-14-2012, 03:40 PM
joe_r_dog
Senior User
Yes just remember not to push the boost over 28 if u can monitor it

Old 03-14-2012, 04:07 PM
Sweetrocks
Freshman User
The Boost on this truck doesn't get over 20, however that was unloaded on flat ground with the padel on the floor.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:10 PM
Powerstroke_wannabe
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's the video that was mentioned earlier. Raycor makes the filter used by Motorcraft and designed both the oil and fuel filtration systems on the 6.0.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFXd2KRB4Qo

Old 03-14-2012, 08:01 PM
Sweetrocks
Freshman User
Cool video, Im sure that is why Napa gold filters come with their own cap, to ensure that it is sealed. Also using the motorcraft filter didn't solve my problem.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:42 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Sweetrocks
The Boost on this truck doesn't get over 20, however that was unloaded on flat ground with the padel on the floor.

Low Boost with Black Smoke sounds like an overfuel condition

20 PSI Boost is on the Low Side of things so this kinda starts pointing to the turbo or sensors that the PCM uses to control the Turbo or a CAC System Leak or even an uppipe Leak

Im wondering if a sensor is starting to go out

At KOEO check EBP & MAP & Baro sensor values they need to be within 0.5psi of eachother ay KOEO

If nothing comes up with the above^^^^^^^ then it would be worth Cleaning the MAP & EBP Sensors and Tubes they can get clogged with soot

Old 03-15-2012, 04:48 PM
Sweetrocks
Freshman User
yeeeea I dont know what most of that means...lol sry.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:30 PM
joe_r_dog
Senior User
Koeo- key on engine off
Ebp- exhaust back pressure sensor
Map- manifold absolute pressure
Baro- is barometer but dont know much about that
PCM- powerstrain control module
Cac- charge air cooler system

Old 03-15-2012, 11:39 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Originally Posted by joe_r_dog
Koeo- key on engine off
Ebp- exhaust back pressure sensor
Map- manifold absolute pressure
Baro- is barometer but dont know much about that
PCM- powerstrain control module
Cac- charge air cooler system

Right on ^^^^^^^^^^^

Baro is a Pressure sensor it sets the Baseline for the other pressure sensors like MAP&EBP

these 3 are used to determine Boost output or for the PCM

Basicaly to determine what position the VGT should be in to regulate the Turbo veins/Boost output and maybe the EGR Valve position Im not 100% shure on EGR Valve though

ACRONYMS FORD
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/821641-acronyms.html

Old 03-16-2012, 02:47 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Sweetrocks
Alright so here it is. Truck was NOT smoking before service, Changed back to a motorcraft filter and cap. Started it up right after the oil change so the engine was still warm. Truck instantly blow blue smoke!! So that blew the filter idea out of the water. I then pulled the EGR out, It wasnt clogged as bad as the pictures Ive seen on the internet. I replaced it anyhow. Started the truck and the truck still smoked, but not as it was. So I decided to take the truck for a good hard run. (Im a HYD mechanic, and I try my best to maintain our fleet trucks, and I don't drive them alot) Anyways after I put the coal to her, the smoking cleared up, just regular exhaust..... Going to tell the guys to drive it like they stole it, see if it stay clean. I havent looked at the turbo.
my truck does this as well.

after a couple of short trips it smokes from 100-150F. I can rev the motor a few times and the smoke essentially disappears

No oil consumption

No water disappearing

Take it out for a longer trip and cycle the turbo some...it won't blow blue smoke for almost a week. I'm pretty sure my issue is caused by CCV (Crank Case ventilation) causing oil to pool in the intake. After several short trips enough collects that it pools and gets into the cylinders. Running her hard cleans that oil out