1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

What is the stock camber for a '79 2WD F100?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 10:53 PM
Chocko
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is the stock camber for a '79 2WD F100?

Hello all,

Is someone able to tell me what the stock camber setting is for a '79 2WD F100? I've been told that it's -5/8 of a degree +/- 3/8 of a degree (that was from the shop where I bought some aftermarket front coils) but then was told that it's about +2 degrees (told by the guys at the front end alignment shop where I have my alignments done).

I've got about +3 degrees positive camber at the moment after fitting some aftermarket coils whereas before with the stock sagged out coils in it was slightly negative camber.

Thanks.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:19 PM
dirtydeeds
Senior User
Originally Posted by Chocko
Hello all,

Is someone able to tell me what the stock camber setting is for a '79 2WD F100? I've been told that it's -5/8 of a degree +/- 3/8 of a degree (that was from the shop where I bought some aftermarket front coils) but then was told that it's about +2 degrees (told by the guys at the front end alignment shop where I have my alignments done).

I've got about +3 degrees positive camber at the moment after fitting some aftermarket coils whereas before with the stock sagged out coils in it was slightly negative camber.

Thanks.
I can't quote ya the exact number that Ford recommends, but whenever I set up a front end I use a level. Take the measurement in front and back of the tire so as to avoid getting a false reading at the buldge which is 6 oclock if the tire were a clock. You want to take the measurement from 10-11oclock to 7-8 oclock and or 1-2 oclock to 4-5 oclock. You want the bubble to just touch the outside line which indicates slightly negative. Anymore than just touching and it just won't drive right, plus the more negative you go the more inner tire wear you'll get.

Being a little positive like it is now, as you already probably know, will cause a little squirrelly steering, and slight oversteer if you have to steer quickly at high speeds.If you have the option to cut off part of the top and/or bottom of the coil just take off a few inches at a time until you reach the desired ride height/ camber setting.

Hope that helps.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:21 AM
Chocko
Junior User
Hey dirtydeeds,

Thanks for that, I'm figuring on trying to get it set to just on neutral or slightly negative. One of the guys at the front end alignment place reckons those trucks will take a little bit of negative camber so if I aim to get it neutral or slightly negative as you suggest I should be OK.

Interesting to read of your measuring method, I was thinking of making a steel C shaped brace that's nice and square, even and straight and have the ends of the C sit against the top and bottom lip of the rim. That way I can put the level against two sides of the C and know that it's vertical looking at the wheel from the side of the vehicle and then the second measurement would give me the camber measurement. If that makes sense.

The front end does have to come down another inch or so once I get some new 18 inch rims and tyres that I want to run fitted so I'm hoping that cutting that amount off the coil to lower a little more will get the camber close to where I want it.

Thanks again for your advice,
Chocko.