Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-04-2012, 10:13 PM
New User

Vonn4.9efi is starting off with a positive reputation.
4.9 efi valve cover gasket

I need help finding a good video on how to replace my valve cover gasket on a 89 f150 4.9 efi 93000 miles. I can only find ones for other cars, and they dont show how to remove all the things on top of the cover. Thanks allot.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:09 AM
Senior User

882tank is starting off with a positive reputation.
Buy a good Haynes or Chiltons manual. It's a pretty simple project even though the upper intake has to come off.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:42 AM
Elder User

hotrod351 is starting off with a positive reputation.
i did mine on my 90. when it came down to it, well it really wasnt that hard. the wire plugs will only plug into what there suppose to plug into. i remember you only have to remove the upper manifold section. it might help you if you take somme pictures on how the vacuum line go. it looks worse than it is.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:52 AM
Posting Legend

dustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputation
Hardest part is removing the egr, But you can cheat, and just let it hang in the air

Charlie slackmaster #26
"A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely fool proof, is to underestimate the ingenuity of a complete fool."
Old 03-05-2012, 11:12 AM
Post Fiend

andym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputation
There are no special tools or tricks required. If you can remember which way to turn the wrench you're good to go.

"If you want to live in a country that manufactures things, you need to buy things that your country manufactures." - Mike Rowe
Old 03-05-2012, 07:27 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by andym View Post
There are no special tools or tricks required. If you can remember which way to turn the wrench you're good to go.

Alright sounds good. I have my chilton book, got it from the library today. The only things I have done by myself working on a truck is breaks, starter, fuel pump, oil change, spark plugs.

So You guys think I can handle this one huh? Im about to read this book all this week and maybe tear into it this weekend. Ill take the pictures, maybe you guys can get some lulzzz when I come on here bitching asking for more help lol.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:30 PM
Posting Legend

dustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputation
We'll be here, you won't have any problem

Charlie slackmaster #26
"A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely fool proof, is to underestimate the ingenuity of a complete fool."
Old 03-05-2012, 07:35 PM
Senior User

FordOwnerJoey is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ive had to do it twice on my 87 300-six and i couldnt tell u how many times i had to take the upper and lower intake manifolds off. I could probably do it in about 20 mins now using an air ratchet. I can take some pics and show you what and where to take stuff off at
Old 03-05-2012, 07:47 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordOwnerJoey View Post
Ive had to do it twice on my 87 300-six and i couldnt tell u how many times i had to take the upper and lower intake manifolds off. I could probably do it in about 20 mins now using an air ratchet. I can take some pics and show you what and where to take stuff off at

That would be neat if you could highlight all the parts that need to come off. Without looking at my book yet Im not even sure I could tell You where the valve cover is. Is it the thing I pour oil into? Sorry for being such a newb, being a 26 yr old guy I feel pretty pathetic not knowing these things.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:54 PM
Senior User

yeah, it might be blue (mine is painted red) but its where you pour the oil in. ill take pics tomorrow during the day light and post. Your going to want a new upper intake manifold gasket too so make sure you pick one of those up before you get the engine all torn down if thats your only vehicle. I also recommend some liquid gasket like RTV silicone, I think I used black but red is for high temp I believe. The first gasket I got was a cork/rubber/metal combination but it didnt last very long about a yr or so, I just redid it a few months ago and got another gasket and then put a bead of the silicone along the gasket facing down and then another bead along the bottom of the valve cover itself. Havent had any leaks since. I couldnt find a rubber gasket for it and I hate cork, so if you can find an all rubber gasket I suggest getting it instead of an all cork. Cork is cheap but its for a reason....
Old 03-05-2012, 07:56 PM
New User

Quote:
yeah, it might be blue (mine is painted red) but its where you pour the oil in. ill take pics tomorrow during the day light and post. Your going to want a new upper intake manifold gasket too so make sure you pick one of those up before you get the engine all torn down if thats your only vehicle

What are the things I should read about in this book?

upper intake manifold removal, and what else?
Old 03-05-2012, 08:06 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vonn4.9efi View Post
What are the things I should read about in this book?

upper intake manifold removal, and what else?
that and more importantly the order in which you torque the bolts back down. theres a certain pattern you go in both for the valve cover and the upper intake. My truck has already had the A.I.R. tube deleted so Im not sure if thats a problem or not.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:20 PM
Senior User

882tank is starting off with a positive reputation.
The A.I.R. tube is not an issue. Just be sure to pick up quality gaskets, and make sure the VC gasket has torque limiters built in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilleyJoe.62 View Post
This is my line in the sand, my stand against technology, hopefully the last truck I'll ever own.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:25 PM
New User

Quote:
that and more importantly the order in which you torque the bolts back down. theres a certain pattern you go in both for the valve cover and the upper intake. My truck has already had the A.I.R. tube deleted so Im not sure if thats a problem or not.

I found the diagram for how to torque the bolts and the nm. What Ill do is take a picture of my engine asap and get it on here. And Ill let you put a red dot or whatever on all of the parts i need to remove and maybe label it for me. The book says remove this, this, this, this, but I dont know what that is or looks like lol. I have allot of reading to do.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:30 PM
Senior User

ok we can do that too
Old 03-05-2012, 08:30 PM