Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-04-2012, 01:35 PM
Junior User

XS29L9B is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Is Prestone compatible with Motorcraft Gold Coolant for 6.0 PSD Excursion?

Topic title says it all... Thanks in advance... Auto parts store said it was compatible... Is it?
Old 03-04-2012, 07:20 PM

Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
Not enough info. There's all kinds of different Prestone coolants out there. Which Prestone are you referring to?

Actually, forget I asked, just go to Walmart or NAPA auto and get Zerex G-05 coolant. It's the same stuff as the Ford "gold" coolant.

Stewart

PS - If it were my 6.0L PSD, I'd flush that "Gold" outta there and refill with an OAT Extended Life Coolant.
2000 PSD Excursion 4x4: 38R, JW trans, F5, MBRP, AFE, OBA and Pre-Pump, V & B codes
Never Fry Bacon NAKED!
Old 03-04-2012, 07:58 PM
Junior User

XS29L9B is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Stewart,

It was the "all for one", color doesn't matter, coolant... Or so the bottle said...

Also, I saw where Zerex G-05 was the same as MC Gold, but wasn't so sure...
Old 03-04-2012, 08:10 PM

Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by XS29L9B View Post
Stewart,

It was the "all for one", color doesn't matter, coolant... Or so the bottle said...

I honestly have no idea what is in that universal "compatible with all types, all colors" Prestone because I will never use it. I'd fill with just tap water before using it.

If you're dead set on using the "gold", just get a jug of the Zerex G-05.

Stewart
2000 PSD Excursion 4x4: 38R, JW trans, F5, MBRP, AFE, OBA and Pre-Pump, V & B codes
Never Fry Bacon NAKED!
Old 03-05-2012, 12:58 AM
Posting Guru

kornfanjoe has a brilliant futurekornfanjoe has a brilliant futurekornfanjoe has a brilliant futurekornfanjoe has a brilliant futurekornfanjoe has a brilliant futurekornfanjoe has a brilliant futurekornfanjoe has a brilliant futurekornfanjoe has a brilliant futurekornfanjoe has a brilliant futurekornfanjoe has a brilliant futurekornfanjoe has a brilliant future
kornfanjoe kornfanjoe
Quote:
Stewart,

I would never trust that saying. Diesels need anti cavitation inhibitors to prevent the engine knock scarring the outside of your sleeve, plus the coolant in a 6.0 is very taxed as it cools the engine, the oil, and the exhaust in the egr cooler.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:09 PM
Senior User

jeeplj8 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
as a general rule never ever mix anything with Ford Gold Collant.

General rule #2, get the Ford crap out of your 6.0. it leads to oil cooler failure. use a stated ELC coolant, Prestone is fine. swap it all out.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:09 PM
Posting Guru

Gage2502 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Gage2502 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
So I take it that Zerex G-05 is good to use on my 2005 Ford F250 V10?
Thanks
Old 06-18-2012, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gage2502 View Post
So I take it that Zerex G-05 is good to use on my 2005 Ford F250 V10?
Thanks
Yup. Gasser, not a diesel, so you're good to go.

Stewart
Never Fry Bacon NAKED!
Old 06-18-2012, 09:33 PM
Senior User

AndrewWV has a very good reputation on FTE.AndrewWV has a very good reputation on FTE.AndrewWV has a very good reputation on FTE.AndrewWV has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart_H View Post
...just go to Walmart or NAPA auto and get Zerex G-05 coolant. It's the same stuff as the Ford "gold" coolant.
I wish it was that easy around here. The last time I looked for Zerex the only place I could find it locally was Grainger. They usually only have a bottle or two on the shelf, so I have to special order it, and they only have the 50/50 prediluted mixture for around $12/gal. It actually works out cheaper to go online or buy genuine Motorcraft from the dealership at $16 - $17/gal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart_H View Post
PS - If it were my 6.0L PSD, I'd flush that "Gold" outta there and refill with an OAT Extended Life Coolant.
I'm pretty sure that gold stuff is a HOAT (hybrid) extended life coolant, not that I really know what that means in practical terms, beyond what I've read around the web. I do know the subject of coolants is another online holy war of sorts.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:44 PM
Senior User

AndrewWV has a very good reputation on FTE.AndrewWV has a very good reputation on FTE.AndrewWV has a very good reputation on FTE.AndrewWV has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Stewart,

Yeah, so Prestone claims, but the auto manufacturers and name brand coolant companies really disagree. I'm pretty sure they are all ethylene glycol based and the major differences are the additives and rust inhibitors they use. I tend to avoid the "all-for-one" types because the most consistent advice I've found warns not to mix different types together.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewWV View Post
I'm pretty sure that gold stuff is a HOAT (hybrid) extended life coolant, not that I really know what that means in practical terms, beyond what I've read around the web. I do know the subject of coolants is another online holy war of sorts.
Andrew, you're exactly right, it's a H-OAT coolant.

What that means is this: the Ford "gold"/Zerex G-05 Hybrid Organic Acid Technology coolant still contains silicates. Silicate drop out is what causes problems with the 6.0 coolant passages in the oil cooler, and it also eats the water pump seals. That's why Late '99 and up 7.3L PSD owners that had conventional "green" coolant will flush and fill with an OAT ELC, because the "green" has a lot more silicates than the "gold"

You can read more here, where I have a ton more info listed in this thread: Gooch's Coolant Flush Procedure and In-Depth Coolant Information - FTE

Stewart
Never Fry Bacon NAKED!
Old 06-19-2012, 12:33 AM