1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Super Duty CB Mounting Location

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 01:24 AM
horsecop
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Super Duty CB Mounting Location

I looked on the forum a couple of months ago for the best possible location to mount a CB radio. Just couldn't handle the thought of drilling holes in that high dollar plastic. Hanging it upside down, loosing leg room etc. I had to drop my horse trailer off on the other side of the state to have it worked on and missed having "ears". When I got back I decided to go a head and put the radio back in but was back to my original delima. There's not a good place to put one in my truck! So one day this week I sat there looking around the interior, no alcohol was not involved, and noticed the four cup holders. Question. Why are there four cup holders? Then the light bulb went off! Build a plate, mount the radio to it and set it down on top of the cub holders. So I ordered a 1/4", 15 x 15 sheet of automobile ABS plastic, (stuff that goes in cars) took out the cup holder frames, sketched the frames on the ABS plastic, made the cut with a scroll saw, put everything together making sure of the clearances, then BINGO! I have a decent place for the radio! When it's not being used, it's stowed in the console. I posted a couple of pics in the garage. Hope it helps.

Old 03-04-2012, 02:26 AM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Nice idea! I got (then sold, and will get again) the Cobra CB with the CB innards inside the hand piece. Makes it an easy clean setup.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:46 AM
rattleNsmoke
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I removed the screws in the 'hat holder' thingy and used an old 2 piece sliding mount plate leftover from my 8 track days....I know, I know I'm an old POS...*lol. I love the idea I can slide the CB out and hide it if needed. Even without the slide mount it can still be done using the CB mounting bracket by using longer screws into the hat holder like I did and it's in a perfect location.
Mike

Old 03-04-2012, 09:43 AM
horsecop
Senior User
Howdy Mike
We're not 'old POS! Just the 'old guys with experience!
"old age and treachery will defeat youth and skill every time!" hahahahaha

Old 03-04-2012, 09:51 AM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts
Okay, kinda off topic but what are the benefits of a CB? Is it just for traveling? If a bad storm goes through and cellphones are not working, do CB's still work? How far can you use them? I having thought about one in the truck for a long time, just trying to get some answers from guys who use them.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:56 AM
kd0axs
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Here's what I did. Just took a cheap plastic floor console and "modified" it a little with a utility knife to fit the radio, works great! (Mine is actually a ham radio, not a CB)

Name:  IMAG0249.jpg
Views: 13713
Size:  79.2 KB

Old 03-04-2012, 10:05 AM
hanklin
Hotshot
Received 684 Likes on 397 Posts
Originally Posted by Firefighter 1406
Okay, kinda off topic but what are the benefits of a CB? Is it just for traveling? If a bad storm goes through and cellphones are not working, do CB's still work? How far can you use them? I having thought about one in the truck for a long time, just trying to get some answers from guys who use them.
bump,,,,,,,,,,

Old 03-04-2012, 10:08 AM
hanklin
Hotshot
Just realized I bumped for a 14 min diff. I thought it said yesterday.
Where the hell are my damn glasses?

Old 03-04-2012, 10:13 AM
smokewagun
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
I have several old full-case Cobras I love, but I got fed up with trying to fit one in these new trucks. I spent $80 and bought the Cobra where everything is in the handset, and it has a quick disconnect to mount under the dash. I bout another QD for $10, and will install it in my wifes rig. Then I just move the handset. What's nice is the QD has a jack for a remote speaker which I can mount anywhere in case the mic isn't loud enough. All I have to do is mount a clip for the mic if I want. Otherwise, I keep the mic hidden in the console until I need it. So far, in my last F150, this little unit was just as good coupled to my K40 as my old Cobras.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:19 AM
smokewagun
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by hanklin
bump,,,,,,,,,,
Cellphones are useless talking to truckers when you are towing 7000 pounds of trailer up a hill and need to move over because some idiot cut you off. I still love communications with drivers - especially when I'm towing. Cell phones are nice, but sitting on the side of the interstate with your flashers on and a whip swaying on you cab roof will get alot of driver attention and concern well before a cellphone call has brought someone to your aid.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:21 AM
hanklin
Hotshot
Very good point

Old 03-04-2012, 10:28 AM
rattleNsmoke
More Turbo
When I plowed all winter with the old F350, I had constant contact with the wifey at the home base. it was far more practicle then a cell fone plus with the external speaker under the hood I yelled at the kids to get out of the snow forts they would build at the end of the driveways. I find the cb real handy when out of state checking for traffic tie-ups and lane closures. Truckers can be your biggest ally or worst nightmare. I make sure the language is clean if the kids are in the cab or I'll turn it off. This cb was originally souped up where I bought it at Clay's Radio shop in TX. More transmit and recieve range. With the K30 antennae on the roof, I usually call out 10 miles. I'm interested to see the range in flatlands of Georgia and Fla this summer. I bet 20-30 miles or more easy. On occasion I can 'shoot skip' all the down south. It's rare, but I've talked to folks in TX from my driveway. I feel it's a very worthwhile investment.
Mike

Old 03-04-2012, 10:37 AM
hanklin
Hotshot
checked out Clays, neat shop. I have been on the fence for quite some time about getting one. My dad always had one when I was growing up. Mounting has been an issue with me as I don`t want it near my 4x4 lever
What kind of antennae are you using and how about pairing it with cb?

Old 03-04-2012, 10:43 AM
horsecop
Senior User
Originally Posted by smokewagun
I have several old full-case Cobras I love, but I got fed up with trying to fit one in these new trucks. I spent $80 and bought the Cobra where everything is in the handset, and it has a quick disconnect to mount under the dash. I bout another QD for $10, and will install it in my wifes rig. Then I just move the handset. What's nice is the QD has a jack for a remote speaker which I can mount anywhere in case the mic isn't loud enough. All I have to do is mount a clip for the mic if I want. Otherwise, I keep the mic hidden in the console until I need it. So far, in my last F150, this little unit was just as good coupled to my K40 as my old Cobras.
Smoke I had the radio already. But your right. The hand held is the way to go to keep the clutter down. Wouldn't have a model number would ya

Old 03-04-2012, 10:46 AM
rattleNsmoke
More Turbo
I have a Uniden Bearcat with a K30 magnetic roof mount antennae. An old analog Radio Shack SWR meter that dials it right in.
Mike

Quick Reply: Super Duty CB Mounting Location