Sponsored by:

Oh man, I'm about sick...

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 04:05 PM
Anafiel
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh man, I'm about sick...

Stopped by the JY today looking for a rim for my pickup, and saw a Bronco there that had just come in....

It's a 90's truck, with all the parts and pieces I need for my 92 to complete it out. I didn't get a chance to look it over too good, because the doors were locked, but the interior was complete, and in good shape as far as I could tell. I'm using a F-150 dash bezel because when I got the Bronco, the dash was torn to pieces, and the F-150 bezel was all I could find right then. I've been looking for a Bronco bezel so that I could mount my rear window defroster switch again.

The JY truck has a good headliner, even has the center overhead console. Mine looks like someone took the ignition key and went nuts on it. It looks like all the interior plastic panels are in good shape, outside mirrors are solid, mine have the support arms that bolt to the interior door skin broke. Good back seat, mine has a rip in it. Good rear cargo mat, and good windshield...mine has a small crack in the lower passenger corner. Good tailgate, mine is rusted along the bottom.

Best of all, it has a set of pristine alum. bullet hole rims. Rubber might be good, but I REALLY want the rims.

I'm sure there is a ton of other stuff I could strip out in an afternoon, but there is a problem...

The JY guy isn't sure what he wants to do with the truck yet. May try to fix it up and sell it as a running vehicle, but may end up scrapping it out, parting it out.

I WANT THIS TRUCK! JY guy will decide what he want's to do "in a week or two", but I want it now!! I guess it wouldn't serve me to beg for it, huh?

I wonder what he'll take for the whole thing, towed to my house?

So goes my Saturday...

Old 03-03-2012, 05:57 PM
ford1977owner
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shoulda offered cash to him right then and there, maybe he would have jumped on it

Old 03-03-2012, 05:57 PM
ford1977owner
Posting Guru
theres hardly any broncos in the junkyards around here

Old 03-04-2012, 02:00 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 120 Likes on 116 Posts
I would make him an offer.

Jim

Old 03-04-2012, 02:22 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
You should, if it doesn't run offer like $200 straight up. And if he wants to charge a lot for towing just bring a friend or family member and daisy chain it home with a tow rope I wish my JY had a nice 78-9 to pick apart... I have to find F150s around that age that aren't trashed.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:16 PM
Anafiel
Posting Guru
I'm gonna give him a week, and then make an offer for the whole truck. I'll let you know what happens...

Old 03-04-2012, 08:20 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Cool, awaiting verdict

Old 03-05-2012, 01:18 AM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 120 Likes on 116 Posts
Sounds good. Let us know how it turns out.

Jim

Old 03-05-2012, 05:16 AM
cobrajoe
Junior User
$200? Around here, a rust bucket with over 150k is worth over $1200 all day long, Ther'e getting over $300 for scrap. Problem around here is that nothing hangs around the yards long because the are worth too much for scrap and end up in the crusher.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:23 AM
cobrajoe
Junior User
How well do they hold up down there in the Carolinas, rust wise? I know you guys don't see the road salt that we do up here, but you do get the salt air. A descent bronco is almost impossible to find up here and I keep leaning to New mexico, Arizona, etc... to find something decent, but don't want all the added expense trying to get it back east.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:04 AM
Anafiel
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by cobrajoe
How well do they hold up down there in the Carolinas, rust wise? I know you guys don't see the road salt that we do up here, but you do get the salt air. A descent bronco is almost impossible to find up here and I keep leaning to New mexico, Arizona, etc... to find something decent, but don't want all the added expense trying to get it back east.
Rust is not an issue here like in the salted areas up north, and I live the other side of the state from the coast. Nothing stood out when I did a quick look over, other than the numerous small dings and scrapes. Looks like this truck was "used as intended". That part doesn't matter though, as all I need from the body is the mirrors and tailgate. Everything I need would be internal trim and panels, and I would strip the complete drive train from it for spare.

I intend for everything to be a no stress rebuild. Engine, trans, t-case, front and rear diffs, whatever else I could pull for backup. This way my truck remains a DD, and I can rebuild at my leisure.

I figure I can pull what I need, part out the rest, and sell as scrap the remainder to the JY right behind my house. That JY never has anything good, he mainly just processes total losses for their metal. He has his own portable crusher on site, and nothing lasts on his lot for more than a few days.

If I'm lucky, and I'm diligent in parting out what I don't need, I can recover most (if not all) of whatever I have to pay to get the thing to my house. That's what I'll tell my wife, anyways...

Old 03-06-2012, 06:11 PM
stuart9534
Senior User
If the yard is Temple's in the B-L, the bronc will probably end up in the yard. It would be cool if you could get the whole truck, then you could sell me some parts I need!

Old 03-06-2012, 09:16 PM
Anafiel
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by stuart9534
If the yard is Temple's in the B-L, the bronc will probably end up in the yard. It would be cool if you could get the whole truck, then you could sell me some parts I need!
I'll see what he comes up with, maybe we can do this together? What do you need?

But nope, it's not Temples. (gonna keep my secret just a little while longer...)

Old 03-06-2012, 09:33 PM
stuart9534
Senior User
I need the "K" shaped crossmember (on the frame, behind the transfer case) from an FSB, and there is not a yard that I have talked to that will let me cut the rivets to get it, they all say "What If someone comes along and needs a good frame? we can't let you cut up a good one."

Ford discontinued the part quite a while ago, aswell.

Also need some good rear Leaf Springs, a dash bezel for my '92 F150, and a bunch of little nick nacs.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:40 PM
Anafiel
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by stuart9534
I need the "K" shaped crossmember (on the frame, behind the transfer case) from an FSB, and there is not a yard that I have talked to that will let me cut the rivets to get it, they all say "What If someone comes along and needs a good frame? we can't let you cut up a good one."

Ford discontinued the part quite a while ago, aswell.

Also need some good rear Leaf Springs, a dash bezel for my '92 F150, and a bunch of little nick nacs.
So far we're not bumping heads. Wanna talk about this for real when I hear from the JY? Let me get what I need, and you can have the rest of the truck, which includes your list above. Granted, I do plan to take a LOT off of it...

Quick Reply: Oh man, I'm about sick...