6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Ideas to prevent expensive HPFP system repairs

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 12:25 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy001
So what's the end state of all of this?

The current talk about the filter after the HPFP is great if nobody expects any warranty coverage. Think about it for a minute...say you have a bad injector and take it to the dealer to get it diagnosed and replaced. There's a chance they can deny it because of your unauthorized mod that could have caused it. Of course this isn't guaranteed, but it's a certain risk.
I don't think theres much to be scared of if they're not honouring warranty for the pump anyways.

Chances of the system failing on proper grade clean fuel seem minimal, so I personally don't see a good reason for trying to preserve a warranty thats not good for much more than a false sense of security.

And my personal feelings about mods and warranty.... is discretion. For EG, i have an issue right now, that I found because i modded my truck, that i won't feel a bit guilty about returning it to stock and taking it in. Although it is something that i have real evidence that i know there was an issue before i even modded it. I wont feel guilty one bit.

I don't believe in screwing them though, if i ran a high HP tune and melted the engine down, thats a lot different. I believe in honesty, not black and white text.

If I install one of these filters after the HPFP, I know that if the HPFP fails, this inline filter didn't do it... however if an injector failed, i'd have to question the integrity of the filter.

If i had an HPFP failure, removed the inline filter, found metal shavings, i'd have no moral trouble putting it back to stock, and getting it towed to the dealership. I know i didn't wreck it, why should i suffer?

The big think here though, is that this could really work, in a practical kind of way.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:04 AM
Fulltimer50
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by porthole
How about a 3rd choice.
Complete, independent fuel pump and filter system. We use similar systems on boats to "polish" the fuel.
Could be a multi stage filter and water separator with a pump strong enough to push fuel though a small micron filter set..

That would eliminate any issues with filters clogging and starving the HPFP.
I agree. We know that water will kill the pump. We know that the Ford filters dont stop water. We either filter the fuel before it goes into the tank, or before it enters the OEM fuel system.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:44 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Fulltimer50
I agree. We know that water will kill the pump. We know that the Ford filters dont stop water. We either filter the fuel before it goes into the tank, or before it enters the OEM fuel system.

If your HPFP goes, your still doing a full out fuel system replacement.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:12 AM
gsxr1300
Posting Guru
Does anyone tried to diesel funnel filter from that other thread?

Old 03-05-2012, 11:22 AM
rpbf350
Junior User
Originally Posted by parkland
I don't think theres much to be scared of if they're not honouring warranty for the pump anyways.

Chances of the system failing on proper grade clean fuel seem minimal, so I personally don't see a good reason for trying to preserve a warranty thats not good for much more than a false sense of security.

And my personal feelings about mods and warranty.... is discretion. For EG, i have an issue right now, that I found because i modded my truck, that i won't feel a bit guilty about returning it to stock and taking it in. Although it is something that i have real evidence that i know there was an issue before i even modded it. I wont feel guilty one bit.

I don't believe in screwing them though, if i ran a high HP tune and melted the engine down, thats a lot different. I believe in honesty, not black and white text.

If I install one of these filters after the HPFP, I know that if the HPFP fails, this inline filter didn't do it... however if an injector failed, i'd have to question the integrity of the filter.

If i had an HPFP failure, removed the inline filter, found metal shavings, i'd have no moral trouble putting it back to stock, and getting it towed to the dealership. I know i didn't wreck it, why should i suffer?

The big think here though, is that this could really work, in a practical kind of way.

Thats why I think the AirDogII is a good choice. It is easilly installed and easilly removed. (I too have no problem putting something back to stock...IF I KNOW WHAT WAS MOD'ED did not cause the damage!!! If I had any incling that what I did caused the damage....then NO..I would eat the cost) It Pre-filters the fuel before the dfcm and if you really want more water pre-filtering...add a second water filter in front of the AirDogII, just move the supplied "oem" fitting lines off the AirDog and on the the added water filter and hard plumb between the 2. Run PM22A (as it is the ONLY one actually with written approval by Ford)

This would give the BEST chance of negating the HPFP explosion.

If the HPFP fails.....then you know for a fact that there was nothing more you could do.......AND there should be NO trace of water in the pump or any other fule system component to deny warranty.

Sorry "loss341" You really can not fully discuss this issue without mentioning warranty!

I think the POST hpfp filter is a GOOD concept but without the actual performance specs required by the fuel rails and injectors.....I think it is a futile endevor..IMO Plus Crazy001 is also correct in the fact that if ford says everything must be replaced....and you say no....then the ENTIRE engine would be denied warranty. There are a lot of things other than the fuel system that you really don't want to VOID warranty on.

FYI: here is a Re-Fueling Data Sheet I put together.....if anyone is interested in keeping records.

PM or emil me if you would like a PDF or excell copy.
ryan@valley-gear.com

Old 03-05-2012, 11:23 AM
rpbf350
Junior User
Originally Posted by gsxr1300
Does anyone tried to diesel funnel filter from that other thread?

what is that?

Old 03-05-2012, 11:39 AM
los341
Senior User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rpbf350
Sorry "loss341" You really can not fully discuss this issue without mentioning warranty!
I disagree. I don't understand why it's so hard to just talk about technical ideas without going into how this affects warranty. It is your choice to bring it up.

Also for the record, I do not wish to discuss modifying the truck and then putting it back to stock configuration for warranty service. Personally, I would never do that. It borders on fraud and again that is not the point of this thread!

Thank you,
-los341

Old 03-05-2012, 11:50 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by rpbf350
Thats why I think the AirDogII is a good choice.
The stock filter system already is supposed to filter out water and debris, as does the airdog, but with too much water, who says botch systems won't pass any?

Plus, add whatever filter you want, it doesn't change the quality of the fuel to begin with.

A post HPFP filter, i consider fixing a design flaw.

Anything else i consider preventative maintenance.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:52 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by los341
I disagree. I don't understand why it's so hard to just talk about technical ideas without going into how this affects warranty. It is your choice to bring it up.

Also for the record, I do not wish to discuss modifying the truck and then putting it back to stock configuration for warranty service. Personally, I would never do that. It borders on fraud and again that is not the point of this thread!

Thank you,
-los341

Lets get hard core technical on this.

A vast majority of these failures will be seen after warranty anyways, so lets just leave that out of discussion.

From now on, just imagine every truck talked about it bought and paid for, off warranty, and yours to tinker with.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:08 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
http://www.afssociety.org/spring2011...egan-paper.pdf

stolen from somewhere else, not 100% relevant, but some interesting info.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:27 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Old 03-05-2012, 12:31 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Old 03-05-2012, 01:06 PM
los341
Senior User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by parkland
http://www.afssociety.org/spring2011...egan-paper.pdf

stolen from somewhere else, not 100% relevant, but some interesting info.
Interesting paper. Basically they are making the point that a filter may not be as good as you think it is because the ratings are typically done in a lab environment without all the environmental conditions (vibration, surge, etc.) that can occur in a real vehicle on the road. Adding in these environmental conditions can greatly reduce the filter's performance.

I was surprised to learn that ESD (Electro-static discharge) plays a role in a diesel fuel filter. Arcs can and do occur in the flow stream that may actually burn tiny holes in the filter media! It appears that consumer diesel fuel has an electrical conductivity additive to combat this phenomenon.

-los341

Old 03-05-2012, 01:12 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
ya theres a few interesting things.

I think a post HPFP filter would bring repair costs to par with previous models.

Better filtration would probably bring repair to lower levels than previous.

There are some high mileage 6.4's around with the original fuel system , so it IS possible for these components to last, we just need to find some safeguards against stupid mistakes, and poor quality fuel .

Old 03-05-2012, 01:15 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
I was just holding a roll of blue shop towel, wondering how it could be mounted as a pre-filter to the stock system...lol
........losing credibility for saying it ...lol

i'm actually serious.

Quick Reply: Ideas to prevent expensive HPFP system repairs