6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Ideas to prevent expensive HPFP system repairs

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 05:33 PM
PumpDoctor
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by los341
Agreed that some of the pump components are aluminum, so magnets will not work. I'm thinking of this "filter" as more of a "strainer", that serves no purpose during normal operation. If the pump fails the strainer should stop the shrapnel. No return line is needed as theoretically, this is the only way the filter can get clogged. So if the filter is clogged, the HPFP is toast, meaning it will not even be able to create 30kpsi any more. Detection method is engine dies no start. No need for a ball or return line. Just be sure the strainer is tough enough to hold back the shrapnel while the pump destroys itself.
What micron are you thinking? It must be small enough to catch anything that The injector won't pass right. Anything less and the system is still toast.

That sounds very restrictive to me regardless of what you call it. Back to my original question where is this going to fit? Where is a good location? Does anybody have a fuel system diagram we could look at to see. Might be a good place to start.

Old 03-04-2012, 05:39 PM
gsxr1300
Posting Guru
is pm22a a demulsifier?

Old 03-04-2012, 05:56 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No need for a ball or return line. Just be sure the strainer is tough enough to hold back the shrapnel while the pump destroys itself.
In theory, your concept is better than my spring ball valve.

The only problem, is that I doubt we'll find any filters that can actually hold back that kind of pressure.

The filter I found in here:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...disasters.html

is capable of 100 PSI pressure drop.
The body is good for 30,000PSI, but the filter element itself is only good for 100 PSI.

So you'd either need a sensor set up to kill the truck, or a block off valve to shut the fuel in, otherwise the HPFP will pump that filter element till it ruptures, sending all the filtered junk into the fuel system anyways.

The spring ball would be easy....have the filter sit so that once it gets clogged, the pressure is enough to push the ball against a seat, and block it right off.

As long as the filter is clean, it should just sit there and do nothing, if theres too much restriction, it would close, and prevent the filter media from exploding.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:59 PM
los341
Senior User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PumpDoctor
What micron are you thinking? It must be small enough to catch anything that The injector won't pass right. Anything less and the system is still toast.

That sounds very restrictive to me regardless of what you call it. Back to my original question where is this going to fit? Where is a good location? Does anybody have a fuel system diagram we could look at to see. Might be a good place to start.
Look in the tech folder. The very first document (6.7l diesel pdf) has a section describing the fuel system with a diagram.

The filter or strainer would fit right on the output of the HPFP. There is a line between the HPFP and the LH fuel rail. It would go in-line there. Agreed that it would be a fine balancing act on the micron size... bigger than 4 microns but still small enough that a single event doesn't destroy the injectors. I think the 4 micron filter as just to reduce wear on the injectors. It would probably take a particle much larger than that to actually clog or jam the injector. I don't know how large you could go before it would cause damage.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:18 PM
Fulltimer50
Senior User
Does the 100K warranty cover the fuel system?
Id say since most of us are still under warranty, under what conditions does Ford not cover the fuel system under warranty? Prevent that condition and we should be good to go.
After warranty might require a more drastic solution.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:21 PM
los341
Senior User

Originally Posted by parkland
In theory, your concept is better than my spring ball valve.

The only problem, is that I doubt we'll find any filters that can actually hold back that kind of pressure.

The filter I found in here:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...disasters.html

is capable of 100 PSI pressure drop.
The body is good for 30,000PSI, but the filter element itself is only good for 100 PSI.

So you'd either need a sensor set up to kill the truck, or a block off valve to shut the fuel in, otherwise the HPFP will pump that filter element till it ruptures, sending all the filtered junk into the fuel system anyways.

The spring ball would be easy....have the filter sit so that once it gets clogged, the pressure is enough to push the ball against a seat, and block it right off.

As long as the filter is clean, it should just sit there and do nothing, if theres too much restriction, it would close, and prevent the filter media from exploding.
Ok that explanation helps me understand your ball valve concept better than I did before. I agree that if the differential pressure between filter input and output is enough you could close the ball valve before the filter ruptures. Understood that the filter is only good for 100 psi differential - that's actually pretty good for a filter!

As soon as that ball valve closes, it's differential pressure is going to increase from 100psi to at least 30kpsi. Yes the engine quits running but still needs to spin down, and may get dragged on by the transmission. Do you think the ball valve concept could handle that pressure? Any real hardware you had in mind that could do this?

Old 03-04-2012, 07:27 PM
parkland
Lead Driver

As soon as that ball valve closes, it's differential pressure is going to increase from 100psi to at least 30kpsi.

As soon as the ball seats, the pressure will be whatever the HPFP wants, but there will be no more differential pressure across the filter. The fuel will be dead ended.

Yes the engine quits running but still needs to spin down, and may get dragged on by the transmission. Do you think the ball valve concept could handle that pressure? Any real hardware you had in mind that could do this?
Yes there are plenty of valves that can handle that kind of pressure.

The engine continuing to spin, and attempt to make fuel pressure, and run, is a concern. Injectors don't like to go without pressure. If the high pressure fuel sensor is on the pump side of this filter, the truck would continue firing the injectors thinking they have full pressure.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:32 PM
los341
Senior User

Yes there are plenty of valves that can handle that kind of pressure.

The engine continuing to spin, and attempt to make fuel pressure, and run, is a concern. Injectors don't like to go without pressure. If the high pressure fuel sensor is on the pump side of this filter, the truck would continue firing the injectors thinking they have full pressure.
Yes that's what I meant, the valve will see the 30kpsi, not the filter. The filter differential pressure will drop to zero.

The PCM pressure sensor is on the fuel rail, so it would be after our filter contraption, and the PCM would be aware that there is no fuel pressure.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:51 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Alright, well theres a plus if the only way is to block it.

I also just got an email, that i'll be getting an email, regarding this stuff.

Apparently there is a special filter package that has a bypass "T", so if the filter gets plugged, it relieves pressure through another line.....perfect. well see.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:17 PM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy001
The pressures are different by an order of magnitude. ~4,000 PSI for a powerful pressure washer is nothing at all compared to the ~30,000 PSI necessary to run these engines.
What about a 50,000 water jet?

Old 03-04-2012, 08:20 PM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by PumpDoctor
You have 2 choices the way I see it.
1. Install a filter (without an additional lift pump) pre or post DFCM and you will run the very high risk of cavitating the HPFP and it will fail.
2. Install a filter with a lift pump, may work until the after market lift pump fails And starves the HPFP. Then it fails and Ford definately won't cover under warranty.
3. Install a filter after the HPFP, first where would you put it? Might work but you will need a relief valve to install before the filter to relieve an over pressure situation or you run the risk of damaging the pump or blowing a line or something else. Now where do you put the return line for the relief valve when it does relieve this pressure. Somebody might say well you won't need a relief valve because there shouldn't be anything over 2 micron right. Wrong the filter itself will add resistance to the system, it may be ok at lower rpm's but not so much at higher rpm's for an extended period of time.
How about a 3rd choice.
Complete, independent fuel pump and filter system. We use similar systems on boats to "polish" the fuel.
Could be a multi stage filter and water separator with a pump strong enough to push fuel though a small micron filter set..

That would eliminate any issues with filters clogging and starving the HPFP.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:12 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
So what's the end state of all of this?

The current talk about the filter after the HPFP is great if nobody expects any warranty coverage. Think about it for a minute...say you have a bad injector and take it to the dealer to get it diagnosed and replaced. There's a chance they can deny it because of your unauthorized mod that could have caused it. Of course this isn't guaranteed, but it's a certain risk.

Then say you get towed to the dealer after the dreaded HPFP destruction. They tell you that it needs a new fuel system and you enlighten them as to the nature of the odd metal object plumbed after the HPFP and proceed to tell them to only replace the HPFP and leave the injectors alone. They'll do it, but because you don't authorize the approved repair they will initiate a CUDL to void your engine warranty. From this point forward you have no warranty for engine issues, and any problems in the future will be YOUR responsibility. If I had a truck approaching the 100K warranty period I would seriously consider something like this if it were a proven thing, but I really think everyone in the factory 100,000 mile warranty period is asking for trouble with the consideration of such a mod.

And finally any time you are doing work on a high pressure fuel system component you run the risk of a leak causing serious damage. I mean, anything at that pressure can puncture all sorts of things and even if that doesn't happen there is a risk of fire. If left stock this is Ford's problem assuming you're under the warranty period. If modified and you catch your truck on fire it'll be between you and your insurance company.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:54 PM
los341
Senior User

Alright, well theres a plus if the only way is to block it.

I also just got an email, that i'll be getting an email, regarding this stuff.

Apparently there is a special filter package that has a bypass "T", so if the filter gets plugged, it relieves pressure through another line.....perfect. well see.
The T fitting sounds interesting... I was actually considering relief valve of some type. At first, I was thinking of just venting it to atmosphere since it would be contaminated fuel and the HPFP is on its way out anyway, but then another thought occurred to me. The HPFP is a 2-cylinder design, and it might fail on only one side, leaving the other side continuing for an indeterminate period of time and possibly allowing for continued uninterrupted operation. Perhaps the best place to vent would be back to the HPFP input. This will help ensure that the whole HPFP is done and the engine stops.

Another thought. I wonder what the shrapnel mass is before the HPFP ceases operation. If the shrapnel mass is less than what the high-pressure filter can contain, then perhaps a ball valve is not needed as the HPFP is more or less guaranteed to quit before the filter collapses. I'm just hypothesizing, and it's probably best to leave the ball valve in place. Just wanted someone else's thoughts on that.

Thanks,
-los341

Old 03-04-2012, 10:00 PM
los341
Senior User

Originally Posted by Crazy001
So what's the end state of all of this?

The current talk about the filter after the HPFP is great if nobody expects any warranty coverage. Think about it for a minute...say you have a bad injector and take it to the dealer to get it diagnosed and replaced. There's a chance they can deny it because of your unauthorized mod that could have caused it. Of course this isn't guaranteed, but it's a certain risk.

Then say you get towed to the dealer after the dreaded HPFP destruction. They tell you that it needs a new fuel system and you enlighten them as to the nature of the odd metal object plumbed after the HPFP and proceed to tell them to only replace the HPFP and leave the injectors alone. They'll do it, but because you don't authorize the approved repair they will initiate a CUDL to void your engine warranty. From this point forward you have no warranty for engine issues, and any problems in the future will be YOUR responsibility. If I had a truck approaching the 100K warranty period I would seriously consider something like this if it were a proven thing, but I really think everyone in the factory 100,000 mile warranty period is asking for trouble with the consideration of such a mod.

And finally any time you are doing work on a high pressure fuel system component you run the risk of a leak causing serious damage. I mean, anything at that pressure can puncture all sorts of things and even if that doesn't happen there is a risk of fire. If left stock this is Ford's problem assuming you're under the warranty period. If modified and you catch your truck on fire it'll be between you and your insurance company.
Crazy, would you please read the original post in the thread? I am requesting that payment and warranty coverage talk be off-topic. What good is the warranty anyway since it sounds like Ford will look for a reason to not cover HPFP failures? The purpose of this thread is to brainstorm on ways forum members can think of to correct the problem.

Maybe the end-game is that a 3rd party makes a device to do exactly what we are talking about. Heck, maybe parkland and I will go into business together and make a buck off this problem . Or maybe Ford is reading this too and it will help them to come up with a fix should they ever choose to do so . My point is it doesn't matter.

We are just techies talking about a problem and figuring out how to solve it JUST BECAUSE WE WANT TO .

Old 03-04-2012, 10:17 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Crazy, would you please read the original post in the thread? I am requesting that payment and warranty coverage talk be off-topic. What good is the warranty anyway since it sounds like Ford will look for a reason to not cover HPFP failures? The purpose of this thread is to brainstorm on ways forum members can think of to correct the problem.

Maybe the end-game is that a 3rd party makes a device to do exactly what we are talking about. Heck, maybe parkland and I will go into business together and make a buck off this problem . Or maybe Ford is reading this too and it will help them to come up with a fix should they ever choose to do so . My point is it doesn't matter.

We are just techies talking about a problem and figuring out how to solve it JUST BECAUSE WE WANT TO .
Fair enough, I was just curious as to the "why", that's all.

Quick Reply: Ideas to prevent expensive HPFP system repairs