Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-06-2012, 05:27 PM
Posting Guru

f100beatertruck has a very good reputation on FTE.f100beatertruck has a very good reputation on FTE.f100beatertruck has a very good reputation on FTE.
cobra2411
Quote:
Originally Posted by whisler View Post
So that means my 2bbl. 351 should take the "A" or yellow stripe, right?
Yes. Not knowing what engine you had 5.8 2bbl or 4bbl, I scanned though the calibrations and all of the 2bbl cals used the "A" and all the 4bbl's used the "C".
-= 89 Bronco 302/AOD, 87 F250LD 351/C6, 86 F150 302/AOD =-
Old 03-06-2012, 10:39 PM
Senior User

whisler is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
One more simple question, if I may. It appears that to remove this part you have to drill out a rivet and then re-rivet the new part in . Is this correct?
Old 03-06-2012, 10:51 PM

ctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputation
ctubutis ctubutis ctubutis
I used a sheet metal screw.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:53 PM
FTE Chapter Leader

Gary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud of
Yes, you do have to drill the rivet out. But I prefer to use a screw and a nut to replace the rivet so I can take it apart again. You could use a sheetmetal screw as well, but I like to use lock washers or locktite and they work better with screws and nuts.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:58 PM
Senior User

whisler is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Boy, Gary, if you can get a nut inside that tube, you must have little bitty hands.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:58 AM
FTE Chapter Leader

Gary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud ofGary Lewis has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by whisler View Post
Boy, Gary, if you can get a nut inside that tube, you must have little bitty hands.
Nope, rather large really. IIRC, I used a piece of tape to hold a nut inside, and put it there through the hole for the actuator. But, as I now think about it, with Loctite on the threads there is little, if any, chance I can get the nut off later since that tape isn't going to keep it from turning.

Looks like a sheetmetal screw is the best approach. Chris wins.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:11 PM
Freshman User

DentyBlueAZ is starting off with a positive reputation.
I live in southern AZ and it gets pretty dusty down here. The 83 I bought didn't have any air intake tubing just a hole in the base, I am going to hit a junkyard and take a gander through there, but I was hoping someone could enlighten me as to what is the function of the cap on the intake tube and the hose that goes back into the air cleaner? thanks, sorry, I'm a rook.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:26 PM

ctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentyBlueAZ View Post
I live in southern AZ and it gets pretty dusty down here. The 83 I bought didn't have any air intake tubing just a hole in the base, I am going to hit a junkyard and take a gander through there, but I was hoping someone could enlighten me as to what is the function of the cap on the intake tube and the hose that goes back into the air cleaner? thanks, sorry, I'm a rook.
Welcome to FTE.

Do you think you could post a picture? I'm not sure what you're asking about..
Old 02-20-2014, 10:27 PM
FTE Chapter Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by DentyBlueAZ View Post
I don't understand what you mean by "the cap on the intake tube and the hose that goes back into the air cleaner". But I will try to explain what the air cleaner pieces do:
  • Thermostat: There's a thermostat inside the air cleaner that is connected to manifold vacuum and supplies vacuum to the vacuum motor. It regulates inlet air to the carb - if the air gets too cold it closes the flapper to pull air from the exhaust, and if too hot it opens the flapper to get air from the radiator support.
  • Snorkel: Connects the air cleaner with the two hoses and provides a spot for the vacuum motor and flapper.
  • Vacuum motor: Round thing, probably the "cap" you mentioned, that pulls the flapper shut or opens it as controlled by the thermostat.
  • Hose to radiator support - gets fresh/cold air
  • Hose to exhaust manifold - gets hot air

That is a very well engineered system and people who ditch it are not well educated in how it works and why it is needed.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:41 PM
Freshman User

Thanks Ctub and Gary! yes gary, the snorkel! i knew i wasn't crazy, and thanks for the explanations. Ctub i will post pictures this weekend gotta head into work and bartend. woooo i knew that little gas cap looking thing was important, so when i get this taken care of, and throw a new air filter in how much do you think that will reduce my Hydcarbon and CO emissions? the standards in AZ are 300 ppm for HC at idle and i was at 1582 and CO % is 4 and i was at 7.64...... thanks again guys!!!
Old 02-20-2014, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis View Post
I don't understand what you mean by "the cap on the intake tube and the hose that goes back into the air cleaner".
I don't know, either, kinda sounds like he's trying to describe the pcv valve in an oil filler cap or maybe the vacuum motor on the snout and the vacuum tube to manifold vacuum... hard to know....
Old 02-20-2014, 11:03 PM
Freshman User

haa haa thanks guys, i was searching for pictures to vacuum motor and the picture i clicked took me to a thread back here on this site. and yes it is the vacuum motor. Disconnected hoses and plugs, where do they go? hate to be the FNG. but somebody's gotta do it.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:04 PM
FTE Chapter Leader

Chris - I think vacuum motor and its hose.

Denty - This isn't going to help very much. I say that for two reasons. First, it just maintains a constant air temp going into the carb, which is necessary in order to control the air/fuel ratio closely. But, your temp at present surely isn't way off the set point for the thermostat, so there will be little change.

Second, if the previous owner was so intelligent that he took all that off he probably did other things to the emissions system that are waiting to bite you.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:29 PM
Freshman User

Thanks for the warning Gary. I cant wait to post pics, learn from you guys, and get a laundry list of sh*& i gotta do to my baby. my goal is have her ready for hunting season.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:44 AM
FTE Chapter Leader

You should start your own thread. By using this one you only get the few people subscribed to it. But starting a new thread will get much more attention and lots more help.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:44 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
1985, 2012, 3514v, 351w, 50, 58, 80s, adobe, air, cleaner, duct, engine, f150, f250, ford, ho, motor, options, truck