Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

AE (AutoEnginuity) Beginner-Advanced!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 04:46 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
I'm not in a position to test this parameter for a while, but if it's like all the other parameters I've looked at - you set the max and the reading will be graphed in relation to the max. If max is 40 and normal is 30, you'll see 30 at 3/4 of the way up the graph or just a reading of 30 on the Meter screen. If it says or shows a lower limit, that sounds like a big fat zero to me - but I haven't looked at that yet. I record everything I want to know, because I run into situations like yours: "Oh wait, I forgot what the reading was on ZYX before I did XYZ"

Old 03-08-2012, 10:34 AM
microdevil45
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
keeping up with this... its on the list of things to get done..

Old 03-09-2012, 06:02 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
This first chart at the bottom of this post shows a typical pattern where I have my cruise set to 65 and reach a slower vehicle. I usually drive in 60e Mountain, then switch to 80e when I know I need to pass. I am learning that the Injector Control Pressure (controlled by the Injector Control Pressure Duty Cycle) and injector duration combine to make throttle on the truck.

The second chart shows a closer look at the passing profile, but the data is misleading. Why? Remember Snowseeker's suggestion of making recordings for shorter periods of time? This is where his advice really kicks in. If I want to see a long-term recording of the truck behavior, the multiple sensors are all going to be sampled in rotation at a slow rate and it takes anywhere from 1 second to 2 seconds to make a full sweep. Things happen fast when you stomp on the accelerator under load, and that 1 to 2-second sensor rotation is going to miss a lot of detail. The solution? Fewer sensors recorded and set some sampling rates set to very short delays in this screen.

MPH can be sampled slowly, as can RPM, but the ICP and ICP DC need very fast sampling to get a true picture of what's going on.

Here are the charts.

Attached Images   
Old 03-09-2012, 06:23 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
While I'm on the topic of this screen...

You can only make adjustments to the settings while the unit is hooked up to the vehicle and the key is on. For better charting and visual feedback on the bar graphs, set the limits per parameter to realistic values. The default RPM is 8000. On a diesel? Really? I try to keep my charts as simple as possible, so I plan my ranges.

Multiples of 0-1 and 0-3.5 have been working well for me so far. What do I mean by that? One parameter might have a scale of 0-10, another 0-100 (like MPH and % Duty Cycle). 0-350 is great for TFT and EOT, 0-3500 is good for RPM and ICP. I'm building a pattern where my scale on the right is a 0-100 and the left is a 0-3500 to keep the information close to the center of the chart.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:25 PM
GoCamping
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you Tugly for starting this thread. I've been on the fence for awhile, but now I'm in because of that wiper test Ok j/k I can see it now, my wife checks on my in the garage and says "you paid how much for a wiper tester?"

My line of work involves gathering lots of test and simulation data and boiling it down to design decisions so AE looks like just the tool I need to geek out over my truck!

Keep it up and thanks!

Old 03-09-2012, 08:56 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by GoCamping
Thank you Tugly for starting this thread. I've been on the fence for awhile, but now I'm in because of that wiper test Ok j/k I can see it now, my wife checks on my in the garage and says "you paid how much for a wiper tester?"

My line of work involves gathering lots of test and simulation data and boiling it down to design decisions so AE looks like just the tool I need to geek out over my truck!

Keep it up and thanks!
My wife is one to say "Is that all it does? Just use the @#$%! ****." I am totally getting my geek on, but I'll be a better diesel driver/maintainer because of this powerful tool.

Here is the chart that I've been wanting to look at, but that thing called a "job" has hindered my efforts. It is the same chart as the one above, at exactly the same time... but with two different sensors: EBP and MAP instead of the ICP readings. For those who are comfortable reading graphs, you can understand why I picked up a couple of band clamps for my muffler delete today. This will be step one... until I see what a difference that makes.

Attached Images  
Old 03-10-2012, 05:27 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
I use OpenOffice for all my graphing - the software is free from the web as mentioned earlier [LINK]. If you are trying to graph the information and it doesn't quite work the way you're used to (for those who have graphed before), you're not doing anything wrong. If you look in each cell of data, you will find a single quote mark and a space before the data (AE puts it there). This prevents Calc from seeing it as usable data in a graph - I wonder if AE planned that to encourage using their graphing exclusively. I made a macro to strip all those marks from all the data during the conversion to OpenOffice Calc format. I haven't yet tried to do this on the computer with MS Office Excel.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:12 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow - you have been busy!

Old 03-10-2012, 07:43 PM
GACFSR
New User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thank you all for your advice and assistance, IT"S ALIVE!!!!! Shannon at FICMFIXER.com did a great job I sent it to him on Wednesday and got it back USPS Express mail today. It was cleaned up, sealed in a static bag, and bubble wrapped. I installed my FICM and hooked up the AE software. I cleared the codes and performed the KOEO checks with no faults noted. I performed the injector buzz checks and was dissapointed I only had the initial buzz then It seemed like #6 buzzed. The other 7 just clicked. I saw huge dollar signs before my eyes. The FICM voltages are great at 48.5 VDC. I did a crank cycle and it stayed at 48VDC. two more crank cycles looking at the IPC and IPR and she lit off. Now I know I have to save my pennies for a set of injectors. If I go in that far I may go ahead with the Black Onx Head gaskets, APR head studs, Bosch injectors.

Thanks everyone for the support. I only hope I can pay it forward to another poor 6.0 owner.

For this post I guess the thigns to remember are ; even if FICM voltage is (40VDC) 8 volts low it can be an issue and just because they don't buzz it doesn't mean she wont start.

Old 03-11-2012, 06:27 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by GACFSR
Thank you all for your advice and assistance, IT"S ALIVE!!!!! Shannon at FICMFIXER.com did a great job I sent it to him on Wednesday and got it back USPS Express mail today. It was cleaned up, sealed in a static bag, and bubble wrapped. I installed my FICM and hooked up the AE software. I cleared the codes and performed the KOEO checks with no faults noted. I performed the injector buzz checks and was dissapointed I only had the initial buzz then It seemed like #6 buzzed. The other 7 just clicked. I saw huge dollar signs before my eyes. The FICM voltages are great at 48.5 VDC. I did a crank cycle and it stayed at 48VDC. two more crank cycles looking at the IPC and IPR and she lit off. Now I know I have to save my pennies for a set of injectors. If I go in that far I may go ahead with the Black Onx Head gaskets, APR head studs, Bosch injectors.

Thanks everyone for the support. I only hope I can pay it forward to another poor 6.0 owner.

For this post I guess the thigns to remember are ; even if FICM voltage is (40VDC) 8 volts low it can be an issue and just because they don't buzz it doesn't mean she wont start.
Congrats! It always feels good when the fix is right. Your truck had been cranked and dead for a while. Now that it's stretched its legs, you might try that buzz test on the cold engine in the morning again - just to be sure. Do you use fuel additive?

Old 03-11-2012, 10:36 AM
izzybird
Elder User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GACFSR

The 6.0 doesn't buzz like the 7.3, the click your hearing is all you get. Pay attention to each injectors click versus the others, they should all be close to the same. The black Onyx gaskets haven't gotten a very good rap, just go stock with studs.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:10 PM
schlepprock250
Cargo Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Hello all,I've had very little time to play with my AE,but while trying to go in to re-calibrate for my tire size I keep getting an error message saying it could not communicate with the ABS module or whatever it was,my truck being a 99.5 should I be able to change tire size,I know I can't monitor fuel pressure and coolant temps,but is there anything else,someone once talked about changing the year from '99 to a 2000 to monitor a certain parameter...if anyone knows please discuss..Thanks...Phil

Old 03-22-2012, 07:24 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by schlepprock250
Hello all,I've had very little time to play with my AE,but while trying to go in to re-calibrate for my tire size I keep getting an error message saying it could not communicate with the ABS module or whatever it was,my truck being a 99.5 should I be able to change tire size,I know I can't monitor fuel pressure and coolant temps,but is there anything else,someone once talked about changing the year from '99 to a 2000 to monitor a certain parameter...if anyone knows please discuss..Thanks...Phil
I'm not sure on the year Phil, but in case you didn't know did you try Ken's AE Page?

AE Changing Tire Size

Old 03-22-2012, 07:39 PM
schlepprock250
Cargo Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Yeah I checked but it didnt really give the detail I'm looking for,he does have lots of good info there though,that's where I'm getting most of my info..

Old 03-22-2012, 08:56 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by schlepprock250
I had that happen to me when I put too much infomation in the screen where I connect to a vehicle. I just let the software sort it out to solve my communication problem. How do you connect to the vehicle to begin with? Does it do it automatically or do you "tell" it to connect to the truck?

Quick Reply: AE (AutoEnginuity) Beginner-Advanced!