Sponsored by: DP Tuner

AE (AutoEnginuity) Beginner-Advanced!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 09:10 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by Firefighter 1406
Is there anyway to get the AE software to run on a iPad 2? Probably not but thought I would ask, because my laptop is a dinosaur.
Nope. Not according to their FAQ section of their website.

AutoEnginuity web site link... OBDII ScanTool and SpeedTracer FAQs

"What laptops and/or requirements do you recommend?

We currently use Toshiba laptops because of previous success and limited issues. They also consistently rank in the "Top 3 Shoot-out" for laptops (as does IBM). We don't recommend older Dells as they have reported USB issues which most USB devices will have issues with (Dell C5xx, C6xx, and D6xx series for example, have issues powering the USB port correctly).
As for features, any laptop that can run Windows 2K, XP, Vista, or Windows 7 will run any of our products."

Old 03-03-2012, 09:15 PM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts
Figures. Thanks for the quick answer though.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:59 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by F250_
OK, now... you've let the cat's head out of the bag... might as well go ahead and let the rest of him out for us to see.

What I'm talking about are the Registry details which were left out of the AE instructions that you caught and prevented from causing a big mistake...

Do tell, now... what were those details and exactly what did you do to compensate for AE's lack of instruction?
Page 3 in this document [LINK] has a line that reads "Repeat the previous 8 steps selecting “INTERACTIVE” this time". That step leads you down a very merry path indeed. I gave up on the whole procedure because it was just some advanced debug logging and I'm cool with where the log lands without this step. The main purpose of the exercise was to use all of their stuff - this is how I test beta software. Sometimes software changes occur (I have version 10 that was released in January), but the documentation for the software can't keep up. Besides, the vendor instructing the customer on how to open and edit the registry? The vendor has this quote before the instructions on tinkering with the registry "you will have to enable the ability for software to make a file in the root of the C drive. We prefer to create it there instead of the software directory, because it's easier to get to for most of our non-computer trained customers". Bad ju-ju. I felt it best to warn others away from the registry and move on.

Good question.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:18 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
GRAPHS!
There are some pretty good graphing tools in AE. I can record a driving session and play it back later, when I can focus on the details. If you want to know what your vehicle does on the drive to/from work, this is a handy tool if you want to learn how to get better fuel economy. Your drive to/from work is repeatable data and you can graph your daily drive to learn how changing your driving habits effect fuel consumption and powertrain performance. This is also where you find out if your HPOP is up to the task, or if any one of a number of parts of the truck are performing at their best. I discovered I need to have a closer look at the engine coolant sensor after watching that graph.

But me... being the king of all Analdom, I wanted to see the data in my own spreadsheet graph.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:25 AM
hhcobra
Senior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good stuff. Keep it coming!!!!!

Old 03-04-2012, 08:56 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Looks kind of similar to hondata, dsm link, and many other tuning programs I have used.

I am curious as I am thinking of a couple gauges for my X. Can the AE run a display with sensor values all the time as gauges? Or would you have to click and adjust stuff every time to bring up sensor values?

I like that you can check everything and run a buzz test with the AE. But I never plan on running a tuner or installing any major mods so I don't think the I would ever need AE potential.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:42 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
I am curious as I am thinking of a couple gauges for my X. Can the AE run a display with sensor values all the time as gauges? Or would you have to click and adjust stuff every time to bring up sensor values?

I like that you can check everything and run a buzz test with the AE. But I never plan on running a tuner or installing any major mods so I don't think the I would ever need AE potential.
I save the metering configuration, so it automatically loads every time I pull up my vehicle. I can save several "vehicles", so I might have a configuration for monitoring things I want to keep an eye on under different conditions. There would be files named "Stinky Towing", "Stinky Fuel Economy", and "Stinky 80e Tune" for examples.

I plan on using this as much as I can in the beginning because I need some baseline data. If I have problems now, I want to fix it. If I have problems in the future, I have the baseline data to compare with those readings. If I change anything, I have before/after data.

If you want to keep this as a permanent gauge, it's not very practical for that purpose. You don't want to leave the interface plugged in all the time because it can drain your batteries if enough time passes. I also un-mounted my OBDII port because it put the interface in a place where I could hit it with the throttle leg. I tucked my OBDII port up behind the panel under the steering wheel for easy access. I have a netbook, so recording data doesn't take up a lot of real estate in the cab - but it does involve booting the computer, starting the software, and starting the record feature to get data logging. If you are really gung-ho, you can do this every time you drive your vehicle, but you need a good inverter for computer power.

The luster of my new toy will eventually wear off and I'll just have it handy for checking things every oil change for monitoring the truck's health, or for troubleshooting when something doesn't function normally. In the mean time, I will learn a ton of details about the truck that has been heretofore lurking in the shadows. This information will make me a better diesel driver and help me do a better job of maintenance. AND... heaven forbid... likely save me a ton of money if the truck breaks on the road far from home.

Something intersting happened here [LINK].

Old 03-04-2012, 09:52 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Good info, thanks! When I first started playing around with hondata I had thoughts of mounting a small screen where the gauge cluster would normally be and just use the software to display everything I needed to know. My thoughts at the time were computers use AC to charge and whatnot but they do RUN off DC power which can be configured off the 12v auto system.

Not sure is AE shows it but hondata had values for vehicle speed and all and the "value screen" could be changed up to show anything you like. Lots of guys even took the time to make the screen look like a stock cluster.

Mine:

Couple others other people did:

Old 03-04-2012, 10:17 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Good info, thanks! When I first started playing around with hondata I had thoughts of mounting a small screen where the gauge cluster would normally be and just use the software to display everything I needed to know. My thoughts at the time were computers use AC to charge and whatnot but they do RUN off DC power which can be configured off the 12v auto system.

Not sure is AE shows it but hondata had values for vehicle speed and all and the "value screen" could be changed up to show anything you like. Lots of guys even took the time to make the screen look like a stock cluster.
Those screens are cool. I can see where they would have a strong appeal. Does the information come through the OBDII port? Do you have your port/interface tucked out of the way? Do you have your screen mounted?

I'm one of those weird geeks that just wants a phone with a 12-key pad to make phone calls and no web surfing. I have nice gauges for the critical stuff (Pyro, TT, and Boost), but I'm using my AE for logging - and maybe check one or two parameters live during a test drive. I can get information overload and I'd much rather focus on the road, with an occasional glance at the Pyro and TT on a hill.

The AE allows you to monitor so much stuff that you can get very specific (like all the 4X4 sensors), you can retrieve and reset trouble codes, it shows the O2 sensor waveform, and it tests many functions - even the wipers (WooHoo!). I'm not a salesman for the software, I work in the food-processing industry and everything is computer-controlled - that's where my expertise is put to use. The operators have cool software to monitor and control everything, but my laptop has the service software. AE is service software that can monitor things that would bore the heck out of the average driver into a coma and cause an accident, but thrill the tech-head.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:26 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
No OBD port used with hondata, just a strait from computer to the ECU USB cable.

I am the same kind of guy, my wife wants new phones... My phone works just fine for calling and receiving calls.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:59 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
When you graph your data, it's best to keep the information down to a minimum. You can do this two ways:
  1. Reduce the number of parameters to just the information you need to analyze one component. For example - Injector Control Pressure and Injector Control Pressure Duty Cycle.
  2. Reduce the time slice that you are analyzing, so you can look at a small sample of conditions. For example - the drive up a steep grade from the valley to the crest, or the highway segment of the drive to/from work.
Trying to get too much data over too much time through many conditions can look like this...

...where this is more manageable:

Old 03-07-2012, 07:03 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
I am recording about 2 hours of data per day, with different tunes, different driving conditions, and different driving strategies. I will have plenty more to post when I have the time to sit down and parse out the useable information. In the meantime, I have an important tip:

The connection to the vehicle is broken when the key is off. Restarting a recording will wipe out the data you've collected for the day, unless you save the new data with a different file name like the example below.

Attached Images  
Old 03-07-2012, 07:32 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
I normally only log short recordings while doing certain things with the throttle or speed. With diesels I am sure ti is all different but when I do cars I start out with part throttle recordings, starting and stopping the recording on the puter each time. I will do recordings about 30 seconds or so long at different throttle positions threwout the rpm range. So when I am done playing in the car out on the road I have about 10 recordings each being something like 10% throttle, 20% throttle, 30% throttle and so on and each from 1000rpm up to whatever I feel comfortable with at the time.

That way I can go back and sit on the couch and look over each recording, find lean and rich spots in the map and make changes accordingly. Then the next day go out and try it again. If all looks good then I can step it up to pushing the engine to redline and doing it all over again. That way when I am done the A/F ratio should be perfect no matter where the throttle and rpm is.

Just driving around recording makes it hard to know what was happening or what you were doing when a weird spot pops up in the recording.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:19 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
I normally only log short recordings while doing certain things with the throttle or speed. With diesels I am sure ti is all different but when I do cars I start out with part throttle recordings, starting and stopping the recording on the puter each time. I will do recordings about 30 seconds or so long at different throttle positions threwout the rpm range. So when I am done playing in the car out on the road I have about 10 recordings each being something like 10% throttle, 20% throttle, 30% throttle and so on and each from 1000rpm up to whatever I feel comfortable with at the time.

That way I can go back and sit on the couch and look over each recording, find lean and rich spots in the map and make changes accordingly. Then the next day go out and try it again. If all looks good then I can step it up to pushing the engine to redline and doing it all over again. That way when I am done the A/F ratio should be perfect no matter where the throttle and rpm is.

Just driving around recording makes it hard to know what was happening or what you were doing when a weird spot pops up in the recording.
That's an excellent point and great advice. In my scenario, I'm not troubleshooting or tuning yet. I'm getting baseline data in real-world conditions with a fixed route - my drives to and from work. I can now look at the data and tell you what part of the road I'm on, if I get behind a slow vehicle, if the wind is up and from what direction, when I pass, when the CC is active, or if I switch tunes and which tune I switch to. That fixed route (3 1/2 years of the same route) and having driving routines really helps with what I am trying to achieve. It also helps when I give some info in the notes or the filename before shutting the computer down (snowing, used 4X4).

Old 03-07-2012, 08:58 PM
GACFSR
New User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thank you for the injector buzz test video. I have a 2005 6.0 no start and my injector buzz check stated that it passed but they just single clicked the 9 times. No buzzing at all. I feel a lot better about sending my FICM away now with just the P0611 code. I have a silly question that may be software or it could be best placed in the no start forum.

On the data and graph pages there are upper and lower limits, if the limit is pre set at 40 volts will it show a lower voltage or just "at the lower limit" I didn't really think about it until I already pulled and shipped my FICM.

Quick Reply: AE (AutoEnginuity) Beginner-Advanced!