6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Daytime Running Lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 05:57 PM
Brandon Bloomquist
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Daytime Running Lights

Hey Folks -

I was just in at Landmark Ford in Tigard, OR today to enable the DRLs. I didn't like finding out that the headlights weren't on when I thought they were and the sensor can't seem to figure out Oregon grey. For $56 and about 20 minutes they were able to make the change in the software.

Here's my rant: I understand making these things hard for end users when these were physical relays underhood, but I want software editable fields to be exposed to the end users. If I can set the courtesy wipe or courtesy light delay in the little info screen, why not the autolamp sensor sensitivity?

Say what you will about the relative merits of the DRLs, but remember that it was my choice.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:04 PM
cford716
Elder User
I think its a good idea. I could off on a rant about the idiots that either don't know better or choose not turn on their headlights in pouring rain or a blizzard, even thought it is NY state law of your wipers are on your headlights have to be too. Some reason a lot of people lately that have been driving without them on and it's almost night out not dusk.

Maybe I did just go off ranting, oh well.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:21 PM
dschuffert
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with you. It would be simple programming to expose additional options to us where we can turn different options on and off. You can purchase the same computer systems that the Ford dealer uses on Ford's Rotunda site. However, the price of these products and subscriptions makes it unreasonable for most individuals to own.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:51 PM
6.7Fan
Senior User
I Agree. And for the record, my dealer did the DLR's as a courtesy. No charge. It's worth asking your dealers if you haven't done it yet.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:57 PM
TRENT310
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Maybe if it was a gauge cluster menu option, then Canadians would be disabling the DRLs, which would be illegal.

I believe our vehicles have the same base firmware no matter if it's USA or Canada, it's merely the configuration for the firmware that is different at build time.
I sure wouldn't build two gauge clusters if I was designing it... the speedometer scales are just plastic transparencies.

Old 03-19-2012, 02:56 PM
Grassman09
Junior User
I'm looking to disable my DRLS as I'm retrofitting stock headlamps with HID projectors from an Acura TL and I would use CCFLs as my DRL feature.
I wouldn't be the 1st to use CCFLs as driving lights BMW and the likes use it.

I would say its more noticeable then the dimmed halogen light that is the DRL.

Pic of a CCFL.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:38 PM
FONRDAY
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I am trying to find a way for the Audi if not recon i guess

Old 03-19-2012, 10:13 PM
cummins cowboy
Elder User
I don't want DRL's its bad enough with most vehicles having a dash that is lit up like a christmas tree making you think your lights are on. with running lights its normally the headlights only on which make you think all lights are on once its dark. not something I care for.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:12 PM
cirrus365
Elder User
I remember a thread about a member taking a sharpie to the auto headlight sensor so his lights would come on earlier...

Old 03-19-2012, 11:19 PM
FONRDAY
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
that will turn on all your lights and void warranty

Old 12-31-2014, 09:49 PM
Animalv
5th Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
day time running lights

I live in Canada and want to shut them off because I cross scales and that ****'s them off at night I drive with my running lights on all the time so wonder how to take drl and un hook head lights and put it to the running lights

Old 12-31-2014, 10:33 PM
displacement4me
More Turbo

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Animalv
I live in Canada and want to shut them off because I cross scales and that ****'s them off at night I drive with my running lights on all the time so wonder how to take drl and un hook head lights and put it to the running lights
No Canadian dealership will deactivate your DRL's since it is mandatory to have them under the Motor Vehicle Act.

Put an ad on Kijiji or the like asking if anyone has access to Ford's IDS to disable them for some cash. It's easy to do, that's what a friend said anyways

Old 02-09-2015, 06:42 PM
wgillam
4th Gear
I just had my DRLs switched to amber (turn signals) on my 2013 Superduty. I supplied my local dealer with the file to load into IDS for which they charged my 30 minutes shop labor. Keeps me compliant in Canada and will hopefully extend the life of silverstar ultra headlight bulbs. If interested I can send you my contact who provided the IDS file. He's quite reasonable.

Old 02-09-2015, 06:56 PM
sbryan
Lead Driver
Received 124 Likes on 114 Posts
Originally Posted by wgillam
I just had my DRLs switched to amber (turn signals) on my 2013 Superduty. I supplied my local dealer with the file to load into IDS for which they charged my 30 minutes shop labor. Keeps me compliant in Canada and will hopefully extend the life of silverstar ultra headlight bulbs. If interested I can send you my contact who provided the IDS file. He's quite reasonable.
I'm interested. You could either post it or PM me. I've had DRL's on my other trucks and would love to run the ambers as a DRL. Will stand out better than getting lost in all the other headlights DRL's out there.

Old 02-09-2015, 07:11 PM
wgillam
4th Gear
I wasn't sure about forum rules. If it's OK to post, contact Jason@fordpimods.com Jason specializes in modifications to Ford's latest Taurus and Explorer Police Interceptors (I also have a 2013 Explorer PI which I had switched to amber amongst other mods).

The Super Duty and F150 are "link" based vehicles so some of his products, DRL, OE keyless entry, remote start can be applied to the trucks as well

Quick Reply: Daytime Running Lights