6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Daytime Running Lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 07:34 AM
obwielnls
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OP, Do keep in mind DRL's are not a substitute for Having the headlights on. You don't get full output and you don't get tail lights at all. I think that's the biggest problem with the "Lighted instrument cluster" and DRL's ... People think their headlights are on so they don't take any action and run around with no tail lights. I see it a lot.

Bill.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:06 AM
LabCab
Laughing Gas
Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts
I had the DLRs turned on in my 2012 F250 and asked that they be activated on my F350 when it came in and was detailed by the dealer. They did it for free. I save a little on insurance because of them, but ALWAYS turn my headlights on when I start the truck and drive. Just another safety precaution I have always done, so in my case, I don't need it, but have it to save some money.
Easy to turn on at the dealer.
Pat

Old 02-12-2015, 12:42 PM
Nearly Normal Mike
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My dealer programmed factory DRL on my 2009 F 150. I was told it could not be done on 2015 Superduty. Did they shoot me a crooked arrow on that? Is there any way it to program that feature into my new truck under settings or by the dealer?

I have put a piece of tape over the light sensor on cars in the past. I don't want to do that on my truck.

I had my fog lights hooked to the ignition switch so they act as DRLs.
They seem to work OK but I wish ther were brighter. I may switch to LEDs some day if I or the dealer truly cannot program headlights as DLRs.

Old 02-12-2015, 02:33 PM
LabCab
Laughing Gas
Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts
Mike,
It is a programming change that the dealer can easily do.
I have had it done on a 2012 and a 2015 and the dealers didn't charge me a penny for it.
Took them about 5 minutes to hook up and make the change. It is native in the programming for Canada which requires DRLs.
Pat

Old 02-14-2015, 06:41 PM
Nearly Normal Mike
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LabCab
Mike,
It is a programming change that the dealer can easily do.
I have had it done on a 2012 and a 2015 and the dealers didn't charge me a penny for it.
Took them about 5 minutes to hook up and make the change. It is native in the programming for Canada which requires DRLs.
Pat
Thank you,
I am am a strong believer in DLR as is my insurance company.
I have read about but never met an individual who has a negative opinion of them.
When I am driving I WANT TO BE SEEN. I know I can most assuredly see vehicles better that have them, than those that don't!

I will go back to the dealer with information in hand and ask again a bit more firmly that they turn them on.

Old 02-18-2015, 04:51 PM
Brandon Bloomquist
Senior User
Originally Posted by obwielnls
OP, Do keep in mind DRL's are not a substitute for Having the headlights on. You don't get full output and you don't get tail lights at all. I think that's the biggest problem with the "Lighted instrument cluster" and DRL's ... People think their headlights are on so they don't take any action and run around with no tail lights. I see it a lot.

Bill.

Bill -

I should be clear that adding the DRLs allows me to leave the light switch in the auto-lamp position, which lets the sensor decide when to run all the lights. I found that sensor to be too conservative in the past, leaving me driving along unannounced during the day. It still kicks on the full set of lights any time you have the wipers running or it is dark.

Old 02-18-2015, 04:56 PM
Brandon Bloomquist
Senior User
Originally Posted by Nearly Normal Mike
When I am driving I WANT TO BE SEEN. I know I can most assuredly see vehicles better that have them than those that don't!

I will go back to the dealer with information in hand and ask again a bit more firmly that they turn them on.
Mike -

It took a little convincing on my part to get the dealer to make the change due to their skepticism / ignorance. I had to try two dealers as I ran out of patience with the first dealer before they ran out of idiots.

Knowing that Ford sells a physically identical truck in Canada helps - it is a software setting that took 5-10 minutes to change once they found it.

Old 02-18-2015, 05:01 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Nearly Normal Mike
Thank you,
I am am a strong believer in DLR as is my insurance company.
I have read about but never met an individual who has a negative opinion of them.
When I am driving I WANT TO BE SEEN. I know I can most assuredly see vehicles better that have them, than those that don't!

I had mine turned on on Monday.. the dealer charged me (even tho they had the IDs box connected for the recall), and they had to 'research' how to do it!..

Old 03-03-2015, 04:33 PM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts
OK, read thru every post, headed to the dealer after waiting an hour they come back and tell me IMPOSSIBLE, you guys don't know what you are talking about etc.

I want to run my light switch in the "AUTO" position, I want my DRL on, don't care if its all of the lights or just the ambers.

I told the dealer that from the dash, I can turn on the Ambers, but they turn off when you shut down and you have to go thru the steps to turn them back on (they did not believe that either I don't think) In fact they told me the lights would be on ALL the time even when not running, so it would run down my battery....FOR REAL???

I told them I had them turned on in my '11...IMPOSSIBLE.

I need some real answers here, can anyone help?

Old 03-03-2015, 05:00 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by 17 Oaks
OK, read thru every post, headed to the dealer after waiting an hour they come back and tell me IMPOSSIBLE, you guys don't know what you are talking about etc.

I want to run my light switch in the "AUTO" position, I want my DRL on, don't care if its all of the lights or just the ambers.

I told the dealer that from the dash, I can turn on the Ambers, but they turn off when you shut down and you have to go thru the steps to turn them back on (they did not believe that either I don't think) In fact they told me the lights would be on ALL the time even when not running, so it would run down my battery....FOR REAL???

I had the DRL's turned on my 2011 XLT and now on my 2015 Lariat at local dealer. Takes about 10 minutes. The dealer plugs in the IDS to the OPD2 port, accesses the lighting options in the Small Junction Box, scrolls down and selects DRL. You can also get dark mode turned on to darken the vehicle when you open your door.

Tell them this is a safety feature they should turn on at no cost.

Old 03-03-2015, 05:08 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 17 Oaks

the dealer that did mine came out 3 times to make sure I was saying daytime running lights.. before they found how to do it..

Old 03-03-2015, 05:16 PM
MPD56
Elder User
17 Oaks:

They do it all the time here in Canada with trucks bought and imported from the USA. It wouldn't pass the safety inpection without it. With the police vehicles they disable DRL so that they can sneek up on you. As soon as I take my truck out of park, they come on, they don't come on when it park, so that is what the Tech must be telling you.

Old 03-03-2015, 05:20 PM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Just Strokin
I had the DRL's turned on my 2011 XLT and now on my 2015 Lariat at local dealer. Takes about 10 minutes. The dealer plugs in the IDS to the OPD2 port, accesses the lighting options in the Small Junction Box, scrolls down and selects DRL. You can also get dark mode turned on to darken the vehicle when you open your door.

Tell them this is a safety feature they should turn on at no cost.
Strok and the others, thank you for the info. Going to head back down tomorrow and see if they can pull it off, otherwise will drive into San Antonio and find a dealer down there to do it.

Thanks all

Old 03-03-2015, 05:28 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
Here is the info you need....directly from Ford.... All F250-550 trucks; Model Year 2008 and later; and E-Series vans 2009 and later.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/non-html/Q175.pdf

All F250-550 trucks; Model Year 2008 and later; and E-Series vans 2009 and later.

Old 03-03-2015, 05:35 PM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Stroke, you are too much...LOL, just printed it out and am heading down tomorrow...can wait to see the look on his face, as he said "IMPOSSIBLE".

Quick Reply: Daytime Running Lights