Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2009 - 2014 F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2009 - 2014 F150 Discuss the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford F150 SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-02-2012, 01:23 AM
New User

skizzo is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
SYNC problem -- can't disable privacy mode

When I got in my truck tonight after work, for some reason my iphone-SYNC went into privacy mode and I cannot get it back out. I have tried everything I can, spent probably 20 minutes with the manual in hand, ran through sequence after sequence in the controls, and no luck. Every call immediately jumps to "In Privacy". I don't believe I did anything to enable it in the first place, and the sequence shown in the manual does not work to back out of it.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking of disconnecting the phone entirely and re-SYNCing, but wanted to ask if I'm overlooking something first. Thanks.

Bill.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:36 AM

tseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputation
Moving to 2009+ forum for better visibility of thread.
2010 Ford Focus
2004 Expedition XLT 4x2

FTE Guidelines
Old 03-02-2012, 09:14 AM
Posting Guru

shotgunz is a name known to allshotgunz is a name known to allshotgunz is a name known to allshotgunz is a name known to allshotgunz is a name known to allshotgunz is a name known to all
I think I remember several issues with iPhones and Privacy Mode.

Look through the Owner-to-Owner forums at syncmyride.com. Might find a solution there.

My fuel mileage: http://www.fuelly.com/driver/shotgun/f150
Old 03-02-2012, 10:10 AM
Elder User

soundwave is starting off with a positive reputation.
When you're on a call with the iPhone and its connected via bluetooth to Sync, if you pull the phone away from your face where the speaker phone option button is on the screen it should now say "audio options" or something of the sort. Then if you hit it, it should give you the three options for making a call: iPhone(handset), speakerphone, and Sync. I hope that helps you.
Past trucks:1) Black two tone grey, loaded 2007 F-150 XLT Supercab 4X4 with the chrome package!2) 1995 2WD Yellow Ranger Splash Supercab 3) 1999 4X4, Red Ranger Sport Flareside Supercab, 4) 2004 Sonic Blue FX4 Ranger

Old 03-02-2012, 01:56 PM
Elder User

Champ198 is starting off with a positive reputation.
you will need to delete the phone via the sync phone setting on the radio and delete the radio or "sync" from your phone, then repair.

mine did that same thing after i tried to run the sync status checker tool (which doesn't work).
2005 Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 Super Crew 5.4
1987 Ford F150 XL 4x2 Flare Side
Old 03-02-2012, 07:57 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tseekins View Post
Moving to 2009+ forum for better visibility of thread.
Thanks Tim.

Thank you others for the suggestions, will spend some time trying options over the weekend.

Bill.

EDIT: So I tried both looking at the iphone screen interface when on a call, and it was a normal iphone screen... nothing noting the SYNC connection, but the truck screen recognized it and showed "In Privacy." So then I disconnected the SYNC on my phone, deleted the phone from the truck SYNC, and repaired the phone. No luck, still sent straight to privacy. I'll keep working on it, but do welcome more suggestions. I would have thought deleting and repairing the phone would have been the sure-fire solution.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:26 AM
Posting Guru

ddrumman2004 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.ddrumman2004 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Have you tried to reboot the Sync system? You can restore it factory defaults as well but try disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes and then reconnect it. That will reboot the system and hopefully clear out all data about the phone.
After all, we are dealing with a Microsoft product here.
2000 Harley XL1200 Sportster
2004 Yamaha Bruin 4x4(wife's)
Old 03-04-2012, 01:21 AM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunz View Post
I think I remember several issues with iPhones and Privacy Mode.

Look through the Owner-to-Owner forums at syncmyride.com. Might find a solution there.
Thanks. There's a very long thread, going on four years now, on exactly this issue here:

Owner to Owner

Not surprisingly, it's a big debate between whether it's a phone or a SYNC isssue. I'm going to try a hard reboot to my iphone as the next step. You can't pop out the battery like on other phones when they have problems. Will report back.

Bill.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:42 PM
New User

Quick follow-up... before going to a full reset of the iphone, I just tried turning it off and then restarting after a minute or so. I did this while sitting in the truck with the phone still paired. When the phone powered back up, it worked fine without me touching anything on the truck side. The message on the SYNC display was back to normal and both inbound and outbound calls worked right.

Still not clear whether it's a phone or SYNC problem, but restarting the phone worked for me this time. Others on the SYNC site note that a full reset of the phone might be needed if powering down and up doesn't work.

Hope this helps, thanks for the leads.

Bill.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:03 AM
New User

JDNott is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skizzo View Post
When I got in my truck tonight after work, for some reason my iphone-SYNC went into privacy mode and I cannot get it back out. I have tried everything I can, spent probably 20 minutes with the manual in hand, ran through sequence after sequence in the controls, and no luck. Every call immediately jumps to "In Privacy". I don't believe I did anything to enable it in the first place, and the sequence shown in the manual does not work to back out of it.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking of disconnecting the phone entirely and re-SYNCing, but wanted to ask if I'm overlooking something first. Thanks.

Bill.
How To – Enter Privacy Mode During A Hands-Free Call | How To Use SYNC
Old 11-21-2013, 09:08 AM
New User

JDNott is starting off with a positive reputation.
Had the same problem and found this quick fix, above. Good luck!
Old 05-15-2014, 11:41 AM
New User

Richard T Palmer is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had the same problem with my iPhone and MyFordTouch, incoming calls would go to privacy setting turned ON and I would have to use the iPhone to talk.

I had the iPhone setting for incoming calls to answer to go to "Speaker", but having this setting caused the MyFordtouch to go to "Privacy" for all incoming calls.

To fix this on the iPhone, go to Settings > General > Accessibility > Incoming Calls the settings available are "Default" "Headset" and "Speaker", mine was set to "Speaker" and when I set it to "Default", all incoming calls were answered in MyFordTouch with "Privacy" turned off.

Solved my problem! May solve yours.
Old 05-18-2014, 11:20 AM
Senior User

derek4343 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skizzo View Post
When I got in my truck tonight after work, for some reason my iphone-SYNC went into privacy mode and I cannot get it back out. I have tried everything I can, spent probably 20 minutes with the manual in hand, ran through sequence after sequence in the controls, and no luck. Every call immediately jumps to "In Privacy". I don't believe I did anything to enable it in the first place, and the sequence shown in the manual does not work to back out of it. Any suggestions? I'm thinking of disconnecting the phone entirely and re-SYNCing, but wanted to ask if I'm overlooking something first. Thanks. Bill.
Make sure your ringer is on. Not on vibrate
Old 05-18-2014, 11:20 AM