1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models
View Poll Results: What would you do first?
Take it to a dealership to read transmission codes
100.00%
Attempt valve body gasket replacement
0%
Clean/re-seat sensor connections
0%
Bury it in the backyard and collect the insurance money
0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

2000 Ranger Transmission Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 06:36 AM
dangerusty
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2000 Ranger Transmission Issue

Two nights ago, my truck started having trouble shifting, with a blinking O/D light. Sometimes when taking off from stoplights, it wouldn't be in 1st gear, or it would be in 1st and had trouble shifting to 2nd unless I let it coast for a few seconds then hit the gas. It also wouldn't shift into 4th at all.

Last night, it wouldn't shift into reverse or drive, but it would shift into 1st or 2nd. In this state, if I hit the gas in 1st and let it coast, there is no engine breaking (tested by shifting to neutral right away on another attempt, same response). After about 30 minutes of sitting in my driveway and attempting to get into reverse, it finally got "unstuck" and shifted to reverse or drive just fine. I drove to the auto parts store to see if there were any ODB codes, but they didn't see any. I had the same issue as the night before, no 4th and trouble between 1st & 2nd. Leaving the auto parts store, I had the same issue as earlier, no reverse or drive. Again, 30 minutes in I got it to shift, and I drove it home without issue. When I shifted to park in the driveway, it made a thump noise, and then wouldn't shift to reverse or drive again.

Fluid level is fine, no extraordinary conditions (like extreme cold) lately. This is a 2000 Ranger XLT 4.0L 4-speed automatic 4x4.

What do you think? Valve body gasket? Sensor? I worry about taking it to the shop and getting the "new transmission" treatment, but I don't have the skill to try any of the usual fixes in a reasonable amount of time. I'm posting this to try and get some confirmation on what it might be.

Thanks!

Old 03-03-2012, 08:28 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Welcome to FTE.

I see you don't have any replies, so I'll see if I can get things started.

Since you have a blinking OD light, the tranny computer has set some trouble codes, so run this puppy by a trusted tranny shop & have them scan the tranny computer for trouble codes & post All of the code Numbers found, as they can offer up good trouble shooting clues. Then we'll go where those clues lead.