Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-08-2012, 01:58 PM
Post Fiend

David85 has a good reputation on FTE.David85 has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiftyfordfloored View Post
That explains it, my truck has the automatic speed control. I always thought that was a fairly rare option on the 80's Diesels.

I picked up my setup today. '93 7.3L with the E4OD and t-case, which I probably won't be using as my original one is fine. Actually got the front half of the frame with it as well, cross-member and all. Also the front drive shaft came with the deal, but, the truck it came out of had a Dana 60 (F350) and I have a Dana 50 TTB due to mine being an F250HD. The fluid in the trans looked perfect, and the drivetrain had 87k miles on it. It was parted do to it being used as a plow truck (frame rust), however, there was an aftermarket transmission cooler on it. I think I'm going to take my chances and just drop it in. I can always pull it back out.

I'll be using the Baumann unit.

I appreciate your input; nice to hear from someone that's done the conversion.
Anytime. It'll be cool to see someone else with the same setup

I believe the newer transfer case is rated for more torque and has a lower crawler range.

If you aren't going to rebuild the transmission, I would at least drop the pan to see what it looks like before putting it in.

1986 F150 Ex cab Lariat rollercam 5.0L on LPG AOD trans 3.55 gears 390 000Ks
Old 03-08-2012, 03:08 PM
Elder User

fiftyfordfloored is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David85 View Post
Anytime. It'll be cool to see someone else with the same setup

I believe the newer transfer case is rated for more torque and has a lower crawler range.

If you aren't going to rebuild the transmission, I would at least drop the pan to see what it looks like before putting it in.
I'm definitely going to service the transmission and check it over first.

The transfer-case that's in my truck is going to have to stay, as I need the speedometer cable and and the speed sensor to run the transmission controller. It's always babied off-road, and the majority of the time I use 4x4 is in the winter to get out or my driveway (which is basically a long dirt farm road).

I'm going to have to build linkages. The guy busted the heck out of the transfer-case linkage and ruined the shifter pulling the cab off the truck. David85, how much did you have to modify your transmission shift linkage to get it to work right?
Old 03-08-2012, 04:46 PM
Post Fiend

David85 has a good reputation on FTE.David85 has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
The transfer-case that's in my truck is going to have to stay, as I need the speedometer cable and and the speed sensor to run the transmission controller.
D-Oh! - I knew that

Quote:
I'm going to have to build linkages. The guy busted the heck out of the transfer-case linkage and ruined the shifter pulling the cab off the truck. David85, how much did you have to modify your transmission shift linkage to get it to work right?
The rod that connects to the arm on the side of the transmission - it has to be lengthened. However that only applies to 89-91 trucks. 92 and later use a cable shifter and eliminate the bell crank lever system entirely.

You can keep all your C6 related shift linkage except for that one last rod that connects to the shifter arm.

However, since you're dealing with a 92 and up version of E4OD, the lever on the side of the transmission won't be the correct type. It can be swapped.

This is the style you need (note how similar the style is to the C6):
Click the image to open in full size.

This is the style the 1993 model year will have (note how the lever points up instead of down):
Click the image to open in full size.

1986 F150 Ex cab Lariat rollercam 5.0L on LPG AOD trans 3.55 gears 390 000Ks
Old 07-03-2014, 11:44 AM
New User

Brian Piper is starting off with a positive reputation.
I've got a question and I'm hoping someone here will know. A mechanic told me the valve body for E4od would fit a C6 and using the right torque converter it would give a 4th gear. Any truth to this?
Old 07-03-2014, 11:56 AM
Posting Guru

Red454sedgwick is starting off with a positive reputation.
trf sedgwick
No, a few of the guts can be changed, but I think your mechanic confused ford with GM you can change a 350 trans to a lock up converter that would add a what some would consider another gear.
White 95 F150 xl 302, 4x4 5 speed, always gets me home
toyoda 92 corrola auto, parts runner and the only one never to quit on me
Old 07-03-2014, 11:56 AM