Georgia Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: ChiefM SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to March Chat Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 07:37 AM
koolchange
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chief did you get your Ambulance rolling?

Old 03-27-2012, 10:13 AM
ChiefM
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
This truck is going to be the death of me, We started out in December looking at this thing. They had 2 batteries in it that maybe had 2 volts between them. (The truck is 24 volt) We had to wait for the city to get batteries. We came back in January and installed the batteries. We got it started and running, for 10 min at best. Ran out of fuel, we put 10 gallons of diesel in it but ran the batteries down and then the fuel pump quit working. Waited for a fuel pump, they got the wrong one, finally got right one, put it in, still no fuel. The batteries were weak again so we had to leave. The charged it last night and they got it to run for a minute today but I think it has a bad air pocket. Since we are doing it on the road, I really do not have any shop stuff to work with. I am getting a syringe from the hospital and going to try and use it to get fuel out of the tank and up to the pump.

Winning hearts and minds

Last edited by ChiefM; 03-27-2012 at 10:15 AM. Reason: can't type
Old 03-27-2012, 10:43 AM
koolchange
Senior User
Chief, Take heart it is absolutely not much better in the private sector. I just walked out to our Truck Shop and asked them about the 2 service trucks sitting beside the building. Long Story Short these are old Merrita Bread trucks we bought for almost nothing. When they sent the first one in it came in on hook. We did our best bailing wire and chewing gum repairs to it. Every time the boys took it out on a service call the service truck would break down and we would have to hook it back in. When the Ivory Tower asked me why we were not doing road call I gave them my pithy answer that we needed a Service Truck to follow the Service Truck. In their wisdom they sent me another Busted down Bread truck, they thought I was serious. I just told the shop manager to back them up to each other and weld them together. That way if the front one dies you can go jump in the back one and finish the Road Call. God, I hope he does not think I was serious. That would be real hard to explain to the Ivory Tower. Got the T shirt Brother!

Old 03-27-2012, 01:01 PM
ChiefM
FTE Chapter Leader
HA that's funny, I got back from Afghan and they had a truck that was broken for a long while. We have a report we have to brief every 2 weeks to the big wigs in Atlanta. So I get with the guys on the stuff about the truck. Seems the batteries went dead, they brought it the shop and replaced the batteries. They got the truck started and then the generator caught fire !!!! They ordered a new wiring harness, got that installed and it would not charge. This was the about the time I got back, we replaced the voltage regulator and got it running great. On the way driving it back to the unit the transmission burned up, I gave up and set it to Atlanta to get fixed.

On top gear they did a show on limos, one limo was 2 rabbits welded together back to back.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:17 PM
koolchange
Senior User
Wow I could have been a TV Show with my idea. I tell you what is funny. They had me design the layout of this shop. Now you have to understand that I barely know which end of the wrench to hold onto. Changing the oil just about taps out my mechanical ability. So I went over kill on Air Drops, Electrical outlets and Welding outlets on this place. There are 4 of each every 18'. It was kinda like Stevie Wonder decorating the High Museum for an Art Show. Apparently I got some of it right, because adopted my design for all of the shops. Even had some retrofitted. Better to be lucky than good I guess

Old 03-27-2012, 02:26 PM
ChiefM
FTE Chapter Leader
Here is the link to the limos.

Top Gear — History.com Videos

One thing a shop can not have enough of is electrical outlets and air outlets. My shop has the ones on reels coming down from the roof, they are awesome.

Better to be lucky than good I guess - Yep sometimes

Old 03-29-2012, 12:25 AM
ChiefM
FTE Chapter Leader
Heading back out again today to hopefully get the Ambulance running. Got my fingers crossed.

I added some Craigslist stuff I found to the buy/ sell /trade thread.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:20 AM
koolchange
Senior User
Good Luck out there. I suppose I will begin the process of adding a Service bay to our Shop out there. This way we can sit more trucks because we don't have the parts or tools to finish them.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:47 AM
ChiefM
FTE Chapter Leader
WHO IS THE MAN, That right , I AM !!!!! Oh yea, oh yea !!!! Seems the fuel push rod slid down and was not engaged on the fuel pump cam. Pulled it all apart, installed everything correctly this time and she fired right up !!!!! So the Kosovo people have a running Ambulance again, compliments of the Georgia Army National Guard.

Winning hearts and minds baby !!!!!!

Old 03-29-2012, 09:18 AM
koolchange
Senior User
Way to go Chief. I will call into Clark Howard and let him know that one of his fellow GA Guardsmen saved the day!

Old 03-29-2012, 09:37 AM
ChiefM
FTE Chapter Leader
Clark Howard is in the Georgia State Defense Force, A civilian branch, No joining the military, all volunteer. Not down playing them, a great bunch of folks that do good stuff for Georgia. If you look when he wears his "uniform" over the left pocket will say Georgia, not U.S. ARMY.

Link in case anyone is interested.

The Georgia State Defense Force Home Page

Clark howard did a recruiting link in there.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:44 AM
koolchange
Senior User
10/4 Big difference.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:46 AM
ChiefM
FTE Chapter Leader
Just got back from the gym, 50 push ups, 50 sit ups, lifted some weights and ran 3 miles. I am getting too old for this

Old 03-29-2012, 12:05 PM
koolchange
Senior User
Just got back from Cracker Barrel. Broiled Trout, Cole Slaw, Turnip Greens.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:15 PM
ChiefM
FTE Chapter Leader
You Suck
1/2 a roast beef sand and bowl of soup for dinner.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Welcome to March Chat Thread