2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 F150 5.4L barely staying running..Throws code P0012

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 08:19 PM
nhredneck
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 F150 5.4L barely staying running..Throws code P0012

The truck lost all power the other day driving and barely made it to work. On the ride home it was still running horribly, like it just fell on its face. the check engine light came on. Went to autozone and put HEET in the gas tank cuz the night before it was at quarter tank and temp went from warm to freezing(thought maybe condinsation in tank)..Truck ran alot better( not perfect). Drove around that day and it was fine. Pulled down the driveway and CE light shut off. Ran the code anyways and it was P0012.. Talked to a few mechanics and they said try replacing the Camshaft position sensors..did so and it ran worse. the truck hardly would idle or rev and shook vilantly..i shut it down right away. Then it threw 9 codes..Cam shaft position- over retarded timing bank 1(P0012), misfire cyl2, misfire cyl3, misfire cyl 4, random misfire, cam sensor bank 1, three of them were repeated codes.. I replaced the sensors back to stock and cleared the codes. the truck is running like it was in the beginning of the problem..No vilant shaking but falling right on its face at idle and any rpm..not drivable..ANYSUGGESTION BEFORE I TOW IT TO DEALER..would rather do the work myself. very capable except for replacing camshaft phasers which i have heard could be the issue..Could it by the VCT seliniod, EGR valve, plugs, wires...Did just change the oil a week ago and cleaned and reoiled air filter.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:40 PM
air1jpg
Tuned
Originally Posted by nhredneck
The truck lost all power the other day driving and barely made it to work. On the ride home it was still running horribly, like it just fell on its face. the check engine light came on. Went to autozone and put HEET in the gas tank cuz the night before it was at quarter tank and temp went from warm to freezing(thought maybe condinsation in tank)..Truck ran alot better( not perfect). Drove around that day and it was fine. Pulled down the driveway and CE light shut off. Ran the code anyways and it was P0012.. Talked to a few mechanics and they said try replacing the Camshaft position sensors..did so and it ran worse. the truck hardly would idle or rev and shook vilantly..i shut it down right away. Then it threw 9 codes..Cam shaft position- over retarded timing bank 1(P0012), misfire cyl2, misfire cyl3, misfire cyl 4, random misfire, cam sensor bank 1, three of them were repeated codes.. I replaced the sensors back to stock and cleared the codes. the truck is running like it was in the beginning of the problem..No vilant shaking but falling right on its face at idle and any rpm..not drivable..ANYSUGGESTION BEFORE I TOW IT TO DEALER..would rather do the work myself. very capable except for replacing camshaft phasers which i have heard could be the issue..Could it by the VCT seliniod, EGR valve, plugs, wires...Did just change the oil a week ago and cleaned and reoiled air filter.
Could some of that oil gotten on the mas airflow sensor and gummed it up?

Old 02-28-2012, 08:52 PM
nhredneck
New User
its a possibility..i pulled it ou and it was dry unless it got into it

Old 02-28-2012, 09:26 PM
skunkoffroad
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by air1jpg
That's the first thing I thought.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:42 PM
Sequel
New User
Just worked on a friend's F150 that had a p0012. We tried swapping the VCT solenoids and the issue still remained on bank 1. We ordered a cam phaser thinking that is what it was and it turned out the timing chain guide was busted. We ended putting the new phaser on, new chain guide and new tensioner.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:45 PM
Sequel
New User
Originally Posted by air1jpg

If something wrong with the mass airflow sensor, the problems would be on both banks. The issues here are clearly on bank 1.

It looks timing related.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:53 AM
BLTZ71
New User
I would say timing to the one i had vct is only active after engine warm up rev up engine after you let off gas does it run bad or does it run bad all the time if runs bad all the time i would say cats clogged or timing is out for some reason. The one i worked on thrust bearings were in oil pan. WAS posted recently.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:56 AM
Papa Tiger
Temporarily Deactivated
Received 3,432 Likes on 2,347 Posts
Check you camshaft timing chain and tensioners. Cam is retarded = loose chain/broken tensioner guides.

Old 03-04-2012, 01:45 PM
nhredneck
New User
Tried changing the camshaft sensors and that changed nothing..put stock ones back in. I brought the truck to ford and they said it is the VCT soleniod. Should be done by monday.. willing to bet thats not the problem.

FYI.. 2008 F150s must have the valve covers removed to replace the VCT solenoids unlike earlier years such as 2004's

Old 05-19-2012, 12:39 AM
Allan Robichaud
New User
5.4 knock (the rest of the story)

I been doing some research and here is what i have come up with. The whole cam phaser problem has nothing to do with the acual cam phasers at all. I will try to explain. the cam phasers are 60 deg advance or retard gears mounted to your cam shaft at the front of the engine. The operation of this gear can be related to the operation of a snowmobile clutch but instead of moving by waights it is controlled by oil pressure (VCT SYLINOD). On the end of the sylenoid there is a worm gear that accually turnes to set the correct degree. the oil pressure is taken from a gallery in the head and sent threw an oil passage to the sylenoid. this passage is small and prone to pluging. hence the reason for this to fail is lack of maintnence , poor quality materials , inproper materials. The reason why dealers change everything from timming chain, guides ,vct syl and phasers is because when you drive your veha with a knock it is accually out of time. where the phasers are governed by a spring it tends to fatigue and loose it's stregnth therefore not being accurate anymore which will cause it to be sparatic like stall sometimes but not all the time, knock like a diesel, idle rough sometimes or all the time,and possablly act diffrent with heat (cold or hot engine)and you may or may not have a code as all the electronics are working as they should ( i had a code and erased it and could not get it to come back). Also by changing the phaser you run a new gear and it is good practice to run a new chain and let them wear into each other. But this gets costly as the techs halft to remove the front of the engine to do so. in closing 99% of the time the vct gets plugged and if you keep driving instead of replacing just that you end up replacing the phasers chain ect... the dealers are laughing at you saying oh go ahead it's not serious bring it in when you can, (You will not brake down and you will be able to fix it) but it will cost you more in the end lol. I managed to fix myne with a simple varasol bath and a pipe cleaner. Hope this helps you guys CHEERS!!!

Last edited by Allan Robichaud; 05-19-2012 at 12:46 AM. Reason: add a phrase
Old 05-21-2012, 06:39 PM
Papa Tiger
Temporarily Deactivated
Received 3,432 Likes on 2,347 Posts
The VCT's have very fine screens that clog or they break putting finewire in the valve sometimes locking it in place. Loss of oil pressure is suspect always.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:38 PM
yourfavgui
New User
Originally Posted by nhredneck
Tried changing the camshaft sensors and that changed nothing..put stock ones back in. I brought the truck to ford and they said it is the VCT soleniod. Should be done by monday.. willing to bet thats not the problem.

FYI.. 2008 F150s must have the valve covers removed to replace the VCT solenoids unlike earlier years such as 2004's
Hey NHredneck, did replacing the VCT solenoid fix your problem?

Old 02-03-2018, 11:39 AM
Redwood2279
New User
Same issue, replaced motor and it’s still throwing the P00012 code: motor was chain slapping like a civ. Solenoids have been replaced, still doing it. After driving for 30 mins/30 miles, when I either come to a stop or am at an idle position for a minute it will start the shake and rattles.