You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!
Here we have it, it’s time to start my build thread, as I have already started on the project.
Here is the subject:
don't be fooled by casual appearances, this is real nice "50ft" truck, but it has some serious issues, warranting a complete frame-up build.
My Goals for this project is to build a nice looking, reliable workhorse. It needs to be able to transport my whole family comfortably to the dunes, with my loaded 28ft 5th wheel toy hauler. I need it to be able to perform as a “recovery vehicle” so to speak, for the dunes, to recover broke down vehicles/toys. It also needs to do all my heavy hauling around the house, and a good all purpose rig.
This will NOT be a daily driver, but the occasional “need to haul a load of bricks, and pick up the kids while in town” kind of truck. I think I can achieve that….
The main driver for this build is the `92 7.3l IDI Diesel that I just picked up. I plan on swapping it in, along with various other plans. Some of the items I will be addressing:
• 7.3L IDI Diesel, obviously
• ZF 5-speed tranny swap (was automatic), which of course will entail a pedal swap
• Hydro Brake booster, and associated pump
• Twin-stick 205 Tcase mod
• Do SOMETHING about the steering, whether it’s crossover, or what-have-it
• Box the frame
• Install air tanks/compressor for air helper bags, and then later on Air lockers (not in budget right now)
• Re-do dash and interior, including nice stereo and modern conveniences
• Steering column swap with newer model.
• Power tinted windows (yea…so!)
• Disc brake rear conversion
• Custom built traction bars
• Axle trussing
• Custom built side steps/rocker guards
• Overall body re-do
• Big bumpers, with winch, preferably multi-mount, and some beefy hooks
• Wire for battery jumper system/winch multi-mount
• Fender flares
• Rebuild or replace tailgate (trashed, won’t even open now)
• Hood scoop (yes, you read right. Tasteful…you’ll see)
• More other little things here and there
Some things I would LIKE to do, but will see what the budget allows:
• Front D60 swap
• Newer wheels and tires
• Turbo and intercooler
• Propane power injection (part-time)
• Full paint job (this will come eventually)
I am not on the computer that often, that and I am on a super-tight budget, so my posts may be few and far between. But I will try and keep the thread fresh with pictures and progress. Here is where I am at now as of yesterday:
This should be a fun project. So far budget-wise I am doing pretty darn good. I purchased the Engine with just over 120k on it, Tranny, clutch, flywheel and other clutch-associated parts, and wiring harness for $800. I just sold the 460 and C6 for $500, so total investment thusfar: $300. Off to a good start.
Too bad there isn’t a way I can upload photos direct to the thread right when I take them on my phone, as that would be the cats’ meow, and I could really keep this thread up-to-date! Maybe there is?.......
So here we go….
Bryan E. aka Super79CS
1979 F250 SuperCab XLT Camper Special - under construction, soon to be DIESEL!
various "other" vehicles.
Oregon Chapter Member
"my Fuel mileage would be better measured by gallons per mile"
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. FordŽ is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.