Here we have it, it’s time to start my build thread, as I have already started on the project.
Here is the subject:
don't be fooled by casual appearances, this is real nice "50ft" truck, but it has some serious issues, warranting a complete frame-up build.
My Goals for this project is to build a nice looking, reliable workhorse. It needs to be able to transport my whole family comfortably to the dunes, with my loaded 28ft 5th wheel toy hauler. I need it to be able to perform as a “recovery vehicle” so to speak, for the dunes, to recover broke down vehicles/toys. It also needs to do all my heavy hauling around the house, and a good all purpose rig.
This will NOT
be a daily driver, but the occasional “need to haul a load of bricks, and pick up the kids while in town” kind of truck. I think I can achieve that….
The main driver for this build is the `92 7.3l IDI Diesel that I just picked up. I plan on swapping it in, along with various other plans. Some of the items I will be addressing:
• 7.3L IDI Diesel, obviously
• ZF 5-speed tranny swap (was automatic), which of course will entail a pedal swap
• Hydro Brake booster, and associated pump
• Twin-stick 205 Tcase mod
• Do SOMETHING about the steering, whether it’s crossover, or what-have-it
• Box the frame
• Install air tanks/compressor for air helper bags, and then later on Air lockers (not in budget right now)
• Re-do dash and interior, including nice stereo and modern conveniences
• Steering column swap with newer model.
• Power tinted windows (yea…so!)
• Disc brake rear conversion
• Custom built traction bars
• Axle trussing
• Custom built side steps/rocker guards
• Overall body re-do
• Big bumpers, with winch, preferably multi-mount, and some beefy hooks
• Wire for battery jumper system/winch multi-mount
• Fender flares
• Rebuild or replace tailgate (trashed, won’t even open now)
• Hood scoop (yes, you read right. Tasteful…you’ll see)
• More other little things here and there
Some things I would LIKE to do, but will see what the budget allows:
• Front D60 swap
• Newer wheels and tires
• Turbo and intercooler
• Propane power injection (part-time)
• Full paint job (this will come eventually)
I am not on the computer that often, that and I am on a super-tight budget, so my posts may be few and far between. But I will try and keep the thread fresh with pictures and progress. Here is where I am at now as of yesterday:
This should be a fun project. So far budget-wise I am doing pretty darn good. I purchased the Engine with just over 120k on it, Tranny, clutch, flywheel and other clutch-associated parts, and wiring harness for $800. I just sold the 460 and C6 for $500, so total investment thusfar: $300
. Off to a good start.
Too bad there isn’t a way I can upload photos direct to the thread right when I take them on my phone, as that would be the cats’ meow, and I could really keep this thread up-to-date! Maybe there is?.......
So here we go….