Where to mount amp?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 07:11 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,183 Likes on 568 Posts
Where to mount amp?

So, going from an 09 to a 12 Superduty Super Cab. Basically the same setup. In my 09 I had an amplified Bazooka under the back seat. Did ok, but I was thinking I would up the quality on the new truck. I was considering an MTX Thunderform. They come amplified or not. I have a JL audio Slash sub amp I was planning to use and was going to order the non amplified Thunderform. Here's the question. I don't have the new truck yet, but I'm guessing it's the same as my 09. If that's the case, where can I mount an amp? Under both front seats are heated seat relays, power seat motors, etc. Under the entire back seat would be the sub. I got my hand up behind the rear seat back rest and that's all full of spring supports. So, am I stuck? I guess I could get the amplified version, but I'd rather use my high end JL amp rather than MTX's cheap built in version. Any ideas would be appreciated....

Old 02-11-2012, 08:26 PM
70-360fe
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
So, going from an 09 to a 12 Superduty Super Cab. Basically the same setup. In my 09 I had an amplified Bazooka under the back seat. Did ok, but I was thinking I would up the quality on the new truck. I was considering an MTX Thunderform. They come amplified or not. I have a JL audio Slash sub amp I was planning to use and was going to order the non amplified Thunderform. Here's the question. I don't have the new truck yet, but I'm guessing it's the same as my 09. If that's the case, where can I mount an amp? Under both front seats are heated seat relays, power seat motors, etc. Under the entire back seat would be the sub. I got my hand up behind the rear seat back rest and that's all full of spring supports. So, am I stuck? I guess I could get the amplified version, but I'd rather use my high end JL amp rather than MTX's cheap built in version. Any ideas would be appreciated....
Don't know if possible but how about on the front of the sub box. Amp may be to big don't know, maybe in the middle straight up and down. Bolt a carpeted board over amp for protection. No sides so you could get air flow over amp. Center consolle if you have one under the dash. Ok you may not want to do this but you could built a recess in the sub box for the amp to fit in. Should not take up enough space to change sub volume much.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:48 AM
spastik monkey
Freshman User
pull the back panel and mount behind the rear seat. plenty of room

Old 02-13-2012, 05:28 PM
System
Prolocutor
Originally Posted by spastik monkey
pull the back panel and mount behind the rear seat. plenty of room

You think? I managed to get my hand up there and it seemed tight to the back wall with spring bracing everywhere. Will have to look further. If I had a reg or crew cab I know there would be more room. I suppose if all else fails, I can just put it at the bottom of the center console.

Old 02-16-2012, 05:27 PM
fz1dave
Super Duty
Not sure how big your amp is physically but there is room behind the pedals. That's where I put my 4 channel.

Attached Images  
Old 02-17-2012, 12:21 PM
System
Prolocutor
Interesting idea Dave! Will check that out. Looks like one way or another, I'll find a place to use it avoiding using a built in cheap amp. Thanks!