Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Ranger & B-Series
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series modelsSPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-27-2012, 02:55 PM
Senior User

BlackNGoldRules is starting off with a positive reputation.
Broke transmission cooler line going into the radiator

Replacing my radiator today and what I most feared might happen just did. When I was trying to get the cooler line out of the radiator I accidentally snapped it. It's the one going into the top. Any suggestions on what I can do now? Can I temporarily fix it by connecting a hose to the two ends and clamp it up for now? I'm going to replace the line, but not sure I'll have time today to do that. Plus, I would need something pre bent and probably only the dealer could help me with that and I basically won't have a vehicle to use until my wife gets home later. Anyway, any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:29 PM
Posting Guru

Phinxter is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Phinxter is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Well if you have enough line to put a hose on it should work ok until you can replace it, no harm in trying.

1992 Ford Ranger Danger 3.0 5spd 4X2
1993 Plymouth Sundance (Member of the Allpar 200k club)
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V8
2013 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
Old 02-27-2012, 07:21 PM
Posting Guru

ranger pat is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.ranger pat is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Thats a hard line to replace since it originates at the RH side of the transmission and routes alone the side of the block with a couple of brackets to the front of the engine and then crosses over and comes up to the top of the radiator. Take a look at v6 Rangers in a junk yard that have an aux cooler. Those have different lines that you may be able to use to add on an aux cooler or just use part of the line that goes to the top of the radiator to splice in a fuel line type rubber tube to connect your original cut off line.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:17 AM
Senior User

I went to advanced auto parts last night and they had some rubber hose especially made for transmission cooler lines. I had them cut me a piece and it's currently on there right now with two clamps. I haven't seen any leaks from it yet, but I'll be keeping a close eye on it for sure, until I can get another cooler line on there. I wish they would just make the whole line a rubber hose. Dealing with a steel line on a 12 year old truck when trying to remove a radiator is a rough task.

Now, I have a question about the tranny fluid running through that cooler. Does it get pumped up through there as soon as you start the engine or does it wait for the engine to warm up? Just curious because most of the time I was checking for leaks the engine wasn't fully warmed up.

Plus, my tranny fluid is right where it's supposed to be on the dipstick when the engine is warmed up, but when the engine is off and cold the dipstick shows it above the crosshatch a little. Is that normal? Is that just because of all the fluid draining back down into the pan from running through the tranny and cooler lines when the engine is on? Just curious, thanks.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:01 PM
Posting Guru

powersmoked is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNGoldRules View Post
I went to advanced auto parts last night and they had some rubber hose especially made for transmission cooler lines. I had them cut me a piece and it's currently on there right now with two clamps. I haven't seen any leaks from it yet, but I'll be keeping a close eye on it for sure, until I can get another cooler line on there. I wish they would just make the whole line a rubber hose. Dealing with a steel line on a 12 year old truck when trying to remove a radiator is a rough task.

Now, I have a question about the tranny fluid running through that cooler. Does it get pumped up through there as soon as you start the engine or does it wait for the engine to warm up? Just curious because most of the time I was checking for leaks the engine wasn't fully warmed up.

Plus, my tranny fluid is right where it's supposed to be on the dipstick when the engine is warmed up, but when the engine is off and cold the dipstick shows it above the crosshatch a little. Is that normal? Is that just because of all the fluid draining back down into the pan from running through the tranny and cooler lines when the engine is on? Just curious, thanks.
fluid is always running thought the hoses
2004 Edge, Ext Cab, 3.0 vin#U, 2wd, M5OD, AC, 100k, chasing a misfire #4, also an occasional P0316.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:04 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by powersmoked View Post
fluid is always running thought the hoses
That's what I figured, thanks. Just wanted to make sure. I know that was probably a dumb question, but now I feel a little better about my "jerry rigged" tranny cooler line. For now anyway. Thanks for your reply.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:09 PM
Posting Guru

powersmoked is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
That's what I figured, thanks. Just wanted to make sure. I know that was probably a dumb question, but now I feel a little better about my "jerry rigged" tranny cooler line. For now anyway. Thanks for your reply.
any time you are working on those type of lines ie brake, tranny.....you want to hit them with pb blaster a few times and let them sit..........and you always want to use a Flare wrench.........
2004 Edge, Ext Cab, 3.0 vin#U, 2wd, M5OD, AC, 100k, chasing a misfire #4, also an occasional P0316.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:38 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by powersmoked View Post
any time you are working on those type of lines ie brake, tranny.....you want to hit them with pb blaster a few times and let them sit..........and you always want to use a Flare wrench.........
Yeah, I did all of that and I still couldn't get the bolt free from the line. I thought it was starting to loosen up from the line and that's when the line snapped. I even tried that freeze and release stuff but it didn't work either. Worked great on the bottom line. Had no trouble with that one. The top line is what gave me the headache. Thanks.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:41 PM
Posting Guru

Phinxter is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Phinxter is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
I wish they would just make the whole line a rubber hose. Dealing with a steel line on a 12 year old truck when trying to remove a radiator is a rough task.

I think I would just say to heck with replacing the whole line, I would just get a new fitting and flare the end of the old one and make a small piece for the other end with the new fitting and install a rubber hose between the 2 and call it good. Plenty of cars have just hoses, unless your wanting to do a concours resto.

The fluid is always flowing as stated, it needs to because thats the lube circuit.

The fluid level will rise as the temp rises, oils expand with heat, thats why dipsticks have a full cold and full hot mark, not sure if yours has it though.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:04 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phinxter View Post
I think I would just say to heck with replacing the whole line, I would just get a new fitting and flare the end of the old one and make a small piece for the other end with the new fitting and install a rubber hose between the 2 and call it good. Plenty of cars have just hoses, unless your wanting to do a concours resto.

The fluid is always flowing as stated, it needs to because thats the lube circuit.

The fluid level will rise as the temp rises, oils expand with heat, thats why dipsticks have a full cold and full hot mark, not sure if yours has it though.
Yeah, like I mentioned earlier in the thread, that's exactly what I did. Considering how old this truck is, I may just keep it the way it is like you said, as long as it doesn't leak. I may only have this truck another year or so (I think I said that last year too lol), so I'm trying not to put a ton of money into it now if I don't have to.

As far as the dipstick goes, with the engine off and cold, it is up pretty high on the dipstick. I just wanted to make sure that is normal when the engine is off and cold. When running, and warmed up, it's in the crosshatch area. Thanks.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:08 PM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Yeah, like I mentioned earlier in the thread, that's exactly what I did. Considering how old this truck is, I may just keep it the way it is like you said, as long as it doesn't leak. I may only have this truck another year or so (I think I said that last year too lol), so I'm trying not to put a ton of money into it now if I don't have to.

As far as the dipstick goes, with the engine off and cold, it is up pretty high on the dipstick. I just wanted to make sure that is normal when the engine is off and cold. When running, and warmed up, it's in the crosshatch area. Thanks.
Unless you own a Honda, the fluid is checked idling in park. Old mopars are checked idling in 'N'.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:08 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Ranger & B-Series

Tags
2005, 2006, 60, broken, clips, cooler, expedition, exploer, fittings, ford, issue, line, radiator, ranger, tranny, transmission