6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Stuttering until driven for 30 minutes or so...

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 10:57 PM
Dmntxn77
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stuttering until driven for 30 minutes or so...

I bought an 05 Excursion with the 6.0 PSD about two weeks ago, and I am trying to pinpoint a problem.

At first, after I brought it home, it would only stutter on moderate to heavy acceleration then constantly once I hit about 70mph.

It would go away after about 30 minutes.

Now, starting today, it stutters BAD during mild acceleration and on. The stutter stays at all speeds now. I still goes away after 30+ minutes of driving.

My fuel economy is all over the charts too. I realize the overhead console mpg estimator is not dead on accurate, but so far mine has been VERY close to the calculated mileage. If I reset the computer on the highway with the cruise set, when it is stuttering, the computer says 12mpg or so. If I drive the same stretch of road after it stops stuttering, the mpg ranges from 15-22mpg. What gives?

When I stay stutter, it feels like it is missing, the same as right before you run out of gas. I cant figure it out.

Cold morning starts are also VERY loud and rough sounding.

I got a p0232 code about 10 days ago. I checked voltage on the FICM and it was good. I erased the code and it hasnt come back. I havent received anymore codes.

Does this sound like an injector problem?

Someone told me maybe its a EGR problem....

My mods include:
Banks 4" exhaust
4" downpipe
Edge Juice w/Attitude tuner
K&N FIPK
AirDog II fuel system

I havent done much to affect this issue since Ive owned the Excursion, but for the sake of mentioning it, I have:
Changed oil
Changed fuel filters
Changed tranny fluid
Changed front and rear diff fluid
Changed transfer case fluid

Old 02-26-2012, 11:33 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,484 Likes on 1,722 Posts
Check wiring to your fuel pump (HFCM). It is also your primary fuel filter.

Also, I would ditch the Edge .................

Old 02-26-2012, 11:41 PM
Dmntxn77
Senior User
I have an AirDog...

Old 02-27-2012, 03:49 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,484 Likes on 1,722 Posts
Missed that - sorry. How did you wire it in (ie did you use the OEM wiring circuit)? Do you monitor fuel pressure?

Does it do it stock?

Cleaning the EGR valve (properly) certainly wouldn't hurt.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:53 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Dmntxn77
I have an AirDog...
I get that code with my AD and got it with my FASS but not sure exactly why. It's never caused any issues.

+2 on ditching the edge, at least until you get your running issues resolved. As Mark suggested, I'd clean the EGR valve to start, but I'm thinking you have some injectors starting to give it up. What kind of oil and oil filter are you running?

Old 02-27-2012, 09:54 AM
Dlinzy
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This sounds exactly like "Stiction" search the forum for answers, or go to eBay and get 2 4 oz. bottles of REV-X and be done with it.

It's a cheap fix since it sounds like this goes away entirely after the vehicle warms up.

If you can monitor engine oil and coolant temps tell us at what temp it goes away.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:59 PM
Dmntxn77
Senior User
Originally Posted by bismic
Missed that - sorry. How did you wire it in (ie did you use the OEM wiring circuit)? Do you monitor fuel pressure?

Does it do it stock?

Cleaning the EGR valve (properly) certainly wouldn't hurt.
The AirDog was installed by the previous owner. I dont know if he used the OEM wiring circuit or not, but from the install instructions, it looks like thats how it goes.

As far as I know, I dont have a way to monitor the fuel pressure. Which is odd, since the AirDog II allows the fuel pressure to be adjusted. I guess I need to look into it more.

Originally Posted by Dlinzy
This sounds exactly like "Stiction" search the forum for answers, or go to eBay and get 2 4 oz. bottles of REV-X and be done with it.

It's a cheap fix since it sounds like this goes away entirely after the vehicle warms up.

If you can monitor engine oil and coolant temps tell us at what temp it goes away.
I will read more about it.

Ive heard of the REV-X before. I dont really want to drop $80 on it until Im sure that my problem though.

I can and do monitor my EOT and ECT. My normal operating EOT temp is 190. Once I am at that temp for about 10 minutes or so, the problem goes away. Its not instant.

Also, the problem doesnt usually come back after it goes away unless it sits for several hours. Meaning, after it goes away once, the engine usually runs fine the rest of the day during normal use. It doesnt start over after every time I stop and restart.

Oh, I forgot to add... I dont know what kind of oil was used last nor do I know how long it was in the engine. Yesterday I did an oil change with 15w-40 Royal Purple

Last edited by Dmntxn77; 02-27-2012 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Added more info...
Old 02-27-2012, 05:35 PM
jl4407
Senior User
Im having the same issue on my 04 f250. Not as bad as yours sounds but close. I have ordered some archoil off amazon yesterday it is way cheaper than revx and I have read good things about it. It might be something for you to look into. I will let you know how it works when I get it.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:54 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
What brand of all filters did you use and what brand/type of tranny fluid?
+ 1000 on ditching the edge. I'd also ditch the K&N.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:20 PM
Dmntxn77
Senior User
Originally Posted by 69cj
What brand of all filters did you use and what brand/type of tranny fluid?
+ 1000 on ditching the edge. I'd also ditch the K&N.
Im pretty sure it isnt a tranny or filter issue. However, I used all the correct filters and tranny fluid.

Also, I understand the opinions of the Edge and K&N. Im not interested in ditching either. They are not the problem.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:30 PM
brickie
Cargo Master
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Im pretty sure it isnt a tranny or filter issue. However, I used all the correct filters and tranny fluid.

Also, I understand the opinions of the Edge and K&N. Im not interested in ditching either. They are not the problem.
Well start saving for a tranny and a turbo and perhaps a motor if the filter lets enough dust past...You have been warned.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:03 PM
Dmntxn77
Senior User
Originally Posted by brickie
Well start saving for a tranny and a turbo and perhaps a motor if the filter lets enough dust past...You have been warned.

So you are saying that a K&N will let dust get into my tranny?

Wow.. I havent heard that one yet.

Ive used K&N's on vehicles for years, some high performance and some stock. Until I got a PSD, Ive never heard bad stuff about them. The PSD is obiviously a sensitive unit in every other way, and maybe that includes the amount of dust it can eat.

Im fine with that and someday I may swap out the filter element. Honestly it makes me no difference one way or the other. If the K&N is a bad choice for this engine so be it.

However, at the moment, I am more concerned with spending my time, energy, and money to fix the problem on topic. After I get that resolved I will start focusing my extra cash on stuff like air filters.

Thanks for the input though, Im always ready to listen!

Old 02-27-2012, 09:14 PM
jl4407
Senior User
Not to sound like a d#$k but I bet he has the wrong oil cap!

Old 02-27-2012, 09:18 PM
Dmntxn77
Senior User
Originally Posted by jl4407
Not to sound like a d#$k but I bet he has the wrong oil cap!

It did when I bought it... BUT, I watched a video that somone posted on here showing why to only use the proper Mopar filter and OEM cap, so I went to the dealership and purchased one. Its been on there with a new motorcraft filter since day 5 (or so) of ownership.

Yesterday when I changed the oil, I installed a new Motorcraft brand filter again just for good measure. Im sure the other one would have been fine but since it got full of dirty oil for a week I tossed it.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:25 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts
So you are saying that a K&N will let dust get into my tranny?

Wow.. I havent heard that one yet.

quote]

No Thats not what he means

The K&N filter will let dust get threw to the turbo what is Hard on the seals/bearings inside it and will possibly let dust/dirt into the Moter

The Tranny concern is with the Edge tunner

The Tunner adds a bunch of Power but does nothing for the tunning of the tranny so it tears the tranny up. And if the tunner is a shift on the fly type those are very hard on it

Quick Reply: Stuttering until driven for 30 minutes or so...