Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-09-2012, 09:38 PM
Senior User

nzirbel has a good reputation on FTE.nzirbel has a good reputation on FTE.
I learned a good trick when doing mine. I put a 1/4" bit in my drill press and was going to drill some holes in the rubber to make the old bushings easier to get out. On the second hole to my surprise the drill bit caught and walked all the way around between the rubber and the link (I didn't have it clamped). The bushings come right out when you do this.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:38 PM
FTE SoCal Chapter LDR

wpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputation
Tom, didja get a chance to drive without the front anti-sway bar connected? It's a hoot, but not too fast. Off road is truly amazing the flex the Ex allows with that long wheel base.

Join the So Cal chapter here
Be Like Steve
Old 03-09-2012, 10:54 PM
Senior User

slenser is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Great write-up! Reps given.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:14 PM
World Famous

WE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpnaes View Post
Tom, didja get a chance to drive without the front anti-sway bar connected? It's a hoot, but not too fast. Off road is truly amazing the flex the Ex allows with that long wheel base.

Oh yeah! With the front bar disconnected (to verify loss of noises) the ride became somewhat more "Lively" and that was with the rear bar still attached! I can only imagine how exciting it would be with both bars off! When I finally get all of my suspension tweeking done and new tires on I'll have to remember to unhook both bars and get some serious poser flex shots!

Tom 2005 Excursion XLT V-10 4X4, '04 SD 18"s, Modded X/B's, 35" Nittos, 4.88s.
'08 Mirrors, Hellwig, Ultra-Gauge, Banks Headers, 5 Star Tunes, GlowShifts, Ranchos.
ASPEN GREEN (Jolly Green Giant) Grey Cloth Interior, WeatherTech Mats.
'89 SeaRay 220CC 325HP Mercruiser Alpha, Full Camper Canvas, 11' Achilles 8HP Merc.
'14 Jayco Eagle Premier 338RETS TT, Hensley Arrow, Prodigy P3, TST 507RV TPMS, 61'.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:23 PM
FTE SoCal Chapter LDR

wpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputation
Can't wait! I love gettin' tippy on 2 wheels.
Attached Images

Join the So Cal chapter here
Be Like Steve
Old 03-09-2012, 11:27 PM
World Famous

WE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzirbel View Post
I learned a good trick when doing mine. I put a 1/4" bit in my drill press and was going to drill some holes in the rubber to make the old bushings easier to get out. On the second hole to my surprise the drill bit caught and walked all the way around between the rubber and the link (I didn't have it clamped). The bushings come right out when you do this.

Sounds like that may have been exciting the first time! Not sure if our bushings were the same, my old ones were metal to metal at the mating area, and the squishy bits were all inside the the old bushing just around the inner bolt tube.
Click the image to open in full size.
Not the best pic but here you can see where the old ones were metal around the outer diameter.
Click the image to open in full size.
I've had some real thrills with the drillpress grabbing onto things, I actually bent a 3/4" bit AND chuck when a plate I was drilling came free of the vice as the bit grabbed when punching through. Very exciting!

Tom 2005 Excursion XLT V-10 4X4, '04 SD 18"s, Modded X/B's, 35" Nittos, 4.88s.
'08 Mirrors, Hellwig, Ultra-Gauge, Banks Headers, 5 Star Tunes, GlowShifts, Ranchos.
ASPEN GREEN (Jolly Green Giant) Grey Cloth Interior, WeatherTech Mats.
'89 SeaRay 220CC 325HP Mercruiser Alpha, Full Camper Canvas, 11' Achilles 8HP Merc.
'14 Jayco Eagle Premier 338RETS TT, Hensley Arrow, Prodigy P3, TST 507RV TPMS, 61'.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:30 PM
Senior User

slenser is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I wonder if PST has a version of these bushings. They claim their graphite impregnated bushings don't squeak like Energy's do.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:37 PM
Posting Guru

njneer1 is a name known to allnjneer1 is a name known to allnjneer1 is a name known to allnjneer1 is a name known to allnjneer1 is a name known to allnjneer1 is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by WE3ZS View Post
LOL! No wonder they were so tight! Well they are on there now, I'll have to see if they keep looking OK, if they start to squish out or something I'll order up the 4MM larger ones.
Yes....Energy does not have a proper kit for the Ex.......you need the F250 kit......and the 36mm bar bushings for the Ex........with some luck you'll have a use for the extra 32mm bar bushings left over.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:05 PM
New User

Ford Truck'r is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just wondering......did you concider OEM parts?
Old 04-05-2012, 07:08 PM
Junior User

AggieOutlaw is starting off with a positive reputation.
Most people avoid the OEM because they are not as durable as the urethane. I would never go through the hassle of pressing OEM bushings that only last ~100k miles when for the same price or less you could get some nice plastics that are (supposedly) more durable and unquestionably easier to install.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:22 PM
New User

Ford Truck'r is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieOutlaw View Post
Most people avoid the OEM because they are not as durable as the urethane. I would never go through the hassle of pressing OEM bushings that only last ~100k miles when for the same price or less you could get some nice plastics that are (supposedly) more durable and unquestionably easier to install.
Thanks AGGIE...I've been told I need new sway bar end links which I presume are also known as drag links. Ford will replace for $273. You think thats a good price or should I do it myself and save a few bucks? Also, do you really have to change the links for new ones? or can you just swap out the bushings? While we are at it, do you know anything about replacing front hub dust shields? I've got a '01 F-250 SD Lariat. Trucks only got 60K miles on it. I baby her, not a work truck. Bought 'er brandy new. Thanks Bud
Old 04-05-2012, 10:49 PM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Truck'r View Post
Thanks AGGIE...I've been told I need new sway bar end links which I presume are also known as drag links. Ford will replace for $273. You think thats a good price or should I do it myself and save a few bucks? Also, do you really have to change the links for new ones? or can you just swap out the bushings? While we are at it, do you know anything about replacing front hub dust shields? I've got a '01 F-250 SD Lariat. Trucks only got 60K miles on it. I baby her, not a work truck. Bought 'er brandy new. Thanks Bud
The drag link is a steering linkage which connects the tie rod to the pitman arm. At least, that's the only drag link I'm aware of. I changed that too and it wasn't bad...but I digress.

I would be SHOCKED if the end links needed replacement. That is some high quality (spring? probably spring) steel. More likely, Ford won't mess with replacing the bushings since it's easier to just remove and replace the entire end link.

See, the rubber OEM bushings inside the end links are what wears out from the constant compression cycling. My bushings were shot. Removing the end link is trivial (two bolts, no jacking required). Removing the bushing is a PITA. Still any shop has a hydraulic press and it makes the job a cake walk.

My bushings required 6-10 tons to press out. I tried doing it myself and it just wasn't gonna happen. I finally took it to a local shop press I have access too and it took 5 minutes.

My Energy Suspension kit was ~$35 shipped and came with all the necessary stuff. My only problem was one of my bolts was rusted to the inner bushing. These bolts are tapered and not easily replaced by another 1/2" (i think) grade 8 bolt...I tried!

I finally extracted the last pesky bolt and we were off to the races. Without the hiccups I had, and a shop press, this is an hour or two job.

So is it worth doing yourself? Yes. I certainly wouldn't pay $240 for that, even after the hell I put myself through.

If you don't want to hassle with the press or you suspect the end links are bad (doubtful but maybe), you could buy a new set of end links with urethane bushings for around $85 bucks a piece I think. Then it's a trivial R&R and you still save money with a better product!

As far as the hubs go, I've yet to service mine. I should've done it with the brakes but it's still on my list to do. Without any experience on these, I will refrain from issuing faulty advice...even the areas I have experience I offer only questionable advice. Caveat Emptor!
Old 04-05-2012, 10:53 PM
Posting Guru

gr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieOutlaw View Post
If you don't want to hassle with the press or you suspect the end links are bad (doubtful but maybe), you could buy a new set of end links with urethane bushings for around $85 bucks a piece I think. Then it's a trivial R&R and you still save money with a better product!

I found the Moog brand on Amazon for about $55 per side for the whole end link without having to press out the bushings.

Scott
2000 Excursion XLT 4x4 V10 4.30, BTS tranny, 6.0L tranny cooler, Scan Gauge II, 285/75/16 BFG AT KOs, ProComp springs 22210 front and 22415 rear, Rancho RS9000XL shocks, Powerslot slotted rotors w/ Hawk SuperDuty pads up front, Hawk SuperDuty pads on the rear stock rotors, Optima Red Top Battery, 05 headlights, F250 grill (In the 200k club now!)
Old 04-05-2012, 10:56 PM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8scott72 View Post
I found the Moog brand on Amazon for about $55 per side for the whole end link without having to press out the bushings.
Even better! Thanks for holdin' out on me Scott!
Old 05-03-2012, 11:50 AM
Freshman User

termn8rx is starting off with a positive reputation.
Lloyd Allen
check box # actually is 4.5186g.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:50 AM