1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Bought 97 F350 AND HAVE A FEW QUESTIONS

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 02:20 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well here is the update on the truck

The **** stick seller decided to replace the clutch and only the clutch. It is still a dual mass flywheel in there that is completely shot. Need a complete new clutch and flywheel, throwout bearing was bad. The part that really pisses me off is the idiot decided to replace the stock hydraulics with some aftermarket ****. I knew the cylinder was new but did not know it was not a factory replacement part, and this is why the pedal was very soft.....may have been suitable for a honda civic after, about around 500 bucks in new hydraulics/lines alone... parts only. 600 for clutch parts...

Oil cooler line was the fault for the leak. I was happy that the pan was not the culprit, I have done a few 7.3 pans and 7.5 pans in these truck and what a pain in the a$$.

Bad CPS sensor which i am hoping was the stutter. Only will know once we switch it out, but it tested bad. 2 bad injectors on 1 and 5. Injector on 1 was completely dead, 5 ohmed out, weak flow though.

The bill is almost as much as I paid for the truck and the parts are the majority of it.... anyways I hope it will be a while before I ever get hit with another one of these. This is a perfect example of a buyer not knowing exactly what he is looking for in negatives on viewing before purchase of a diesel.

I was looking for a strong motor and mechanically sound truck. Compression and blowby test made me happy on the motor, I did not think much of the clutch figuring I could do it myself , and the fact it had just been replaced. The truck and drive train appeared to be in good condition, fluids checked to be really clean. The underside of the truck looked almost new and I figured I was buying a good one minor a few flaws for the price I got it. Well i learned a lesson. Anyways I'm looking forward to getting it back and fixing what I can and leave the rest to the mechanic. I'm new to these motors and have a lot to learn from. Also looking forward to dropping the intake and exhaust on. Going to wait for a chip until I can afford a pyro and gauges.

Your suggestion were all very helpful guys and for the most part lead to the correct culprit. I hope these results at least clarify a little for those down the road that may have questions.

I guess the ranch hand bumpers massive head ache rack and all the other little goodies lured me in rather than using my better judgement.

The positives i got from the mechanic was the motor was extremely tight and appeared to be very well maintained. No blow by, compression on each cylinder equal all the way around.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:53 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I'd pull all the injectors and send them to rosewood and gave built to stage ones for a little more than what two new stock ones will cost you

Old 03-01-2012, 05:10 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah I have chewed on that quite a bit. I am all about more performance, but this truck is going to be used for towing our race trailer around the country. The mechanic I took it too is also a road racer. Building a 200 hp motorcycle sportbike engine is one thing, but when I sat and thought what happens if I loose an injector on the road.... what do I do? I told him if there were bad injectors I wanted to send them in for a complete set of stage 2's(which wouldn't have happened any way after I got the parts quote for everything else.)

If one of those goes out on the road I'm dead in the water. Running stage 1 or 2. I can not just slap a stocker in there to get me home. I have to wait for it to come in the mail or carry spares. I want a truck that is reliable and perform consistently I bought it for without causing issues. Don't get me wrong if I got to build this thing into a hot rod I would, but that is what the blown 547 for is I'm working on.

So after I thought about it I going to keep it stock besides and exhaust/ intake/ chip/ and gauges... don't really plan on running anything more than a pyro, not really sure why I'd honestly need a boost gauge.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:46 PM
444dieselrod
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
if one dies on the road you can just drive it home. the truck has had 2 dead injectors for who knows how long already.... I drove 300 miles with one that had a broken nozzle spring, by the time I got home it smoked pretty good but I got it there. NOT upgrading injectors because one might go bad isnt a good reason to pass them up.

I dont know for sure but if you have stage 2's and stock programing, couldn't you just put one stock injector in a drive it like normal.

Diesel Rod

Old 03-01-2012, 07:50 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
If you would go with stage II for towing then you would need a intercooler and a HPOP.

The thing is even witha stock injector if one dies your gonna wait at least one to two for a stock o e to come in cause I do t know of anyone that keeps em in stock and Jim could most likely overnight one to you if it every came to that