Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-25-2012, 08:39 PM
New User

Michael Moran is starting off with a positive reputation.
2003 Explorer 4.6L 2WD High Idle problem

Hello all! I am working on my friends 2003 Explorer 4.6L 2WD automatic with 96K. About 6 months ago I did some routine maintenance on it. Plugs, pcv valve and air filter. No problem. Now the issue I am having was a low idle and occasional stalling. No problem. I looked to the forum and soon found the elbow from the pcv hose cracked. Replaced that. Looked for additional leaks with starter fluid...found none. Took it for a drive. High idle. If it goes above 2000 rpms it stays there for anywhere between 20 to 60 seconds before going to a low idle 5-600 briefly like the computer is trying to find the idle speed. Then normal idle. 6-700 rpms. No codes. If I unplug the IAC is lowers to 5-600...indicating no problem with the IAC. If I unplug the MAF it settles about 150 lower on the rpm. The MAF, IAC and TPS all show proper voltage. I can duplicate the problem every time by bringing the rpms above 2000. Cold it doesn't stay high as long as when it's warm.

I have no idea.
Any input would be appreciated.

Oh and trying to find the elbow for the PCV was a joke. This motor must be mid year because none of the books even list it. The autozone guys are genius's right? "if the book doesn't list it there isn't one" As I hold it in my hand. >:-\
Old 02-25-2012, 10:48 PM
Postmaster

aquanaut20 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Connect a vacuum gauge and go look for the leak...

PCV maybe? Leaky brake booster? Loose or damaged intake tube from filter to throttle body (Any illegal air)..

Do you have a live data scanner?? ..Philip
Old 02-26-2012, 11:07 AM
New User

Michael Moran is starting off with a positive reputation.
I just pulled the PCV. Looks nasty and the elbow there doesn't look so hot...going to try that. I do not have a fancy tester just the pocket code reader. I'll post again here as soon as I get back... Thank you!
Old 02-26-2012, 11:07 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator

Tags
2002, 2003, 46, 46l, adjustment, econoline, explorer, ford, high, idle, low, mountaineer, problems, sport, trac, v8, xplorer