Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-24-2012, 04:38 PM
Freshman User

Gufunk is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hard Tranny Shift between 2nd & 3rd

Hi
I just got a new to me 99 f250 5.4 V8 SD XLT 4x4 Auto Trans longbox 118k miles. Before i bought it a had a trusted mechanic check it out and said it was solid except for a hard shift between 2nd and 3rd gears. When accelerating 1st to 2nd is super smooth and 2-3 is pretty hard(feel a hard jerk in my seat) and the rest of the gears are smooth as well. The mechanic didn't know what would cause that with are looking deeper into it. They said the fluid looks good and it is the original tranny does not looked to be rebuilt. Any ideas?

The OD light works and does not blink with hard shifts.
Fluid is full and does not smell burnt.
Mechanic says there are no codes.
When starting rpm's go up to 1500-2000 hold for 10-15 sec and then slowly go down
Old 02-25-2012, 06:37 PM
Freshman User

christopherdrop is starting off with a positive reputation.
Had the same happen to me once. It was the shifter not finding "D" fully. Only hard shifted as yours did. i can replicate it by putting truck inbetween D and 2. Drive, hard shift then put in D and it's very hard shifting (and blinking OD light).
I stop, turn off truck. Try again with shifter (which is sloppy) firmly in D and no problemo.
Hope this helps (or my tranny is ready to explode, I dunno).
Old 02-25-2012, 09:21 PM
Freshman User

skoepper is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had a sloppy shifter too - just did this fix today, made a huge difference
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...ml?ref=esp-img
07 Grille;08 Towing Mirrors, 33"'s, Bluetooth, Nerf Bars, Grover Fire Truck Horns, On-Board Air, Wig-Wag, Strobe Pack, Grille Lights, Whelan Arrow Stick, 2011 4x4 Graphic upgrade, Realtree Camo AP-HD Rocker accent
2012 Toyota Highlander Ltd 4x4- 1993 Ford E-250 HD Ext - 1981 GMC 3500 Bucket Boom -1987 VW Cabriolet (the Summer Toy) (and the work car 2010 Jeep Liberty )
Old 02-25-2012, 09:34 PM
Freshman User

Thanks for the link i will try that tomorrow.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:21 PM
Post Fiend

SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.
Gufunk let us know what you figure out, my truck is doing the same thing between 2-3 shift. Tried all the normal stuff already, cleaning the trans fluid, cleaning the electrical connections, steam cleaned the valve bodies and separator plate to no luck

2004 F-350, XLT, SC, SB, FX4, 5.4, 4R100 w/ .472 line mod valve & TransGo HD2 reprogramming kit, 4.30 gears w/ Detroit locker, zoo dad mod w/ STOCK intake, Gibson stainless headers, SPD y-pipe, 51509 cat, Borla 3" exhaust, 1" rear AAL, dually upper and lower overload spring, 08 diff cover, ProComp 22210 springs, more.....
Old 02-26-2012, 01:58 PM
Freshman User

Everything was tight under the panel. There is a little cable that you can adjust...looks like a little black wheel with ***** to twist up and down to change the tension on something. Any ideas what that is? I might take it to a shop to see if they can give me any ideas.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:54 PM
Post Fiend

Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
The little black wheel adjusts the pointer on the dash.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 02-26-2012, 03:28 PM
Freshman User

Thanks Mark i see that now after i moved it a little. I hear your the resident transmission guy to you have any suggestions for me?
Old 02-26-2012, 09:26 PM
Post Fiend

Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
No, I don't. I have been following this thread but nothing comes to mind.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:24 AM
Post Fiend

SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.
my shifter is tight with no slop at all, yesterday i messed with the adjuster **** under the colum and it didnt help at all. I also removed the plug that goes into the solenoid pack and sprayed electrical cleaner in them, blew it out with the air compresser and added dialetric grease, reinstalled and took a test drive. Still has that dam 2-3 clunk shift just like the OP's truck. I was doing some searching lat night on the web and found this
Sun Coast Diesel Transmissions*-*Ford 4R100 Non stick 2-3 shift valve 1989-2003 | Catalog Products | Sun Coast Diesel Transmissions
im gonna call them today and see if it fixs the harsh 2-3 shift

2004 F-350, XLT, SC, SB, FX4, 5.4, 4R100 w/ .472 line mod valve & TransGo HD2 reprogramming kit, 4.30 gears w/ Detroit locker, zoo dad mod w/ STOCK intake, Gibson stainless headers, SPD y-pipe, 51509 cat, Borla 3" exhaust, 1" rear AAL, dually upper and lower overload spring, 08 diff cover, ProComp 22210 springs, more.....
Old 02-27-2012, 10:42 AM
Freshman User

Hopefully that does the trick. I will be curious to hear what they say.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:48 PM
Freshman User

Hey SuperDutyScaler make any headway on your trans problem? I talked to a couple guys but they didn't know what the issue was either with mine.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:09 AM
Post Fiend

no sorry, i went to the doctor monday morning and i have strep throat somehow so my throat is really killing me the past few days. But i was gonna call today and talk to someone over there, if not i was maybe gonna call Brian from BTS. Ive read he's awesome to speak too about problems with the 4r100 and maybe he can send me in the right direction, if not i guess its time for a rebuild? I do know i dont read any problems like this with the diesel guys, it seems like its always the 5.4 powered trucks that have freaky shift problems?

Old 02-29-2012, 10:11 AM
Post Fiend

Gufunk how long has your truck been doing this? mine has been this way for almost two years now! So i dont think its the trans letting go anytime soon, if it is its one badass transmission then to last that long

Old 02-29-2012, 10:41 AM
Freshman User

I have no idea how long i just bought the truck less than a week ago. Well anyway that is good news cause i have no money to do a rebuild right now.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:41 AM