Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Ford Vans and other vehicles > Nite, Nascar & Other Limited Edition Ford Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-24-2012, 08:44 AM
Junior User

johniebomb is starting off with a positive reputation.
Tonka truck

Does anybody remember ford putting out a model that was designed and promoted as a tonka truck? Was it just a concept or did it make production and what was the details on the truck?
Old 03-07-2012, 08:31 AM
Freshman User

kdbd4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I don't recall one, but I'll ask around.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:28 PM
Junior User

Thanks that would be great.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:49 PM
Postmaster

KingBigJoe has a superb reputationKingBigJoe has a superb reputationKingBigJoe has a superb reputationKingBigJoe has a superb reputationKingBigJoe has a superb reputationKingBigJoe has a superb reputationKingBigJoe has a superb reputationKingBigJoe has a superb reputationKingBigJoe has a superb reputationKingBigJoe has a superb reputationKingBigJoe has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by johniebomb View Post
Does anybody remember ford putting out a model that was designed and promoted as a tonka truck? Was it just a concept or did it make production and what was the details on the truck?

I remember hearing about that truck when I was a kid. It was indeed a concept truck (to my knowledge). It would have been cool if it would have been made as a production truck.
My Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/neokingbigjoe
Old 03-09-2012, 10:10 AM
Junior User

I knew I wasn't crazy like my wife tells me all the time, thanks for the information.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:59 PM
Postmaster

KingBigJoe has a superb reputationKingBigJoe has a superb reputationKingBigJoe has a superb reputationKingBigJoe has a superb reputationKingBigJoe has a superb reputationKingBigJoe has a superb reputationKingBigJoe has a superb reputationKingBigJoe has a superb reputationKingBigJoe has a superb reputationKingBigJoe has a superb reputationKingBigJoe has a superb reputation
Quote:
I knew I wasn't crazy like my wife tells me all the time, thanks for the information.
No problem.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:07 PM
Senior User

ReedRepower has a brilliant futureReedRepower has a brilliant futureReedRepower has a brilliant futureReedRepower has a brilliant futureReedRepower has a brilliant futureReedRepower has a brilliant futureReedRepower has a brilliant futureReedRepower has a brilliant futureReedRepower has a brilliant futureReedRepower has a brilliant futureReedRepower has a brilliant future
Reedrepower xXfordXx_
this one
PickupTruck.Com - 2002 North American International Auto Show: Ford's Mighty F-350 Tonka Truck
Old 03-09-2012, 09:15 PM
Postmaster

Yeah... I'm sure that this was the one. I'm slightly foggy on the details about it because it has been years since I've seen pictures or read about it.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:06 AM
Junior User

That's great thanks for the link to the details of the truck. Now a couple more questions, how much if any of the stuff on this truck made it into production and what happens to these proto type trucks are they destroyed, hidden away at some area 51 place or sold to Jay Leno?
Old 03-12-2012, 09:20 AM
Postmaster

Quote:
That's great thanks for the link to the details of the truck. Now a couple more questions, how much if any of the stuff on this truck made it into production and what happens to these proto type trucks are they destroyed, hidden away at some area 51 place or sold to Jay Leno?
I don't know what made it into production (hopefully someone else knows). But regarding the last part of the question... most of the time they're destroyed. But, some of them do make it into collections & museums.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:53 AM
Junior User

So whats the purpose behind destroying these vehicles, just so the competetion does not steal their ideas or it it something else?
Old 03-13-2012, 10:07 AM
Postmaster

Quote:
So whats the purpose behind destroying these vehicles, just so the competetion does not steal their ideas or it it something else?
I think the reason why they destory them is:

- To cover their a$$es incase if John Doe find it a junkyard & fixes it & something goes wrong (lawsuit).

- So the competition doesn't see it (what you said).

There might be more reasons but I don't know them. If anyone else has anything else to add to this subject... please do. It is very welcomed.

Last edited by KingBigJoe; 03-13-2012 at 04:15 PM. Reason: I made a slight error.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:03 AM
Junior User

I see the point about the lawsuit and the competetion secrets thing but I think it is such a waste to go to all the work in development and making one of these vehicles and then destroying it.
I kind of compare it to the work a lot of you guys on this site go to in doing enigine swaps and other things to make the trucks better but instead of keeping your stuff secret or destroying it you share it with others to help them.
I think if the auto companys would think along the same lines with shareing information they would develop a stronger customer base.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:17 AM
Postmaster

Quote:
I see the point about the lawsuit and the competetion secrets thing but I think it is such a waste to go to all the work in development and making one of these vehicles and then destroying it.
I kind of compare it to the work a lot of you guys on this site go to in doing enigine swaps and other things to make the trucks better but instead of keeping your stuff secret or destroying it you share it with others to help them.
I think if the auto companys would think along the same lines with shareing information they would develop a stronger customer base.
It would be nice if they shared information with each other but 99% of the time that doesn't happen (from what I see).
Old 04-03-2012, 07:30 PM
Posting Guru

Blue Rebel has a good reputation on FTE.Blue Rebel has a good reputation on FTE.
They destroy concept vehicles because they dont have VINs... Therefor can never be registered or driven on the roads.

Just looking at it, as far as what made it into production, the 6.0L under the hood didnt come out until 03, the fender vents came out later on, the steering wheel and dash layout look awfully similar to the 04-up F150s, the bed/tailgate remind me of the 04-up F150s, and the grille and headlites looks kinda like theyre off an 05
1989 F250 4x4, 351W, ZF S542, 4:10s, Upgraded to Dana 60 SFA, 4" suspension lift, 33"s for street fun!
1993 F350 4x4, 7.3L N/A, ZF S547, 4:10s, 285/75/16 recaps
Old 04-03-2012, 07:30 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Ford Vans and other vehicles > Nite, Nascar & Other Limited Edition Ford Trucks

Tags
1973, 1980s, 2004, 4x4, f150, f350, ford, make, massachusetts, models, production, sale, series, tonka, truck, trucks