6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Who makes PM-22 for Motorcraft

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 08:26 PM
bnmccoy
Elder User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Who makes PM-22 for Motorcraft

Many say Stanadyne. I posted the MSDS links in the now closed thread; the MSDS sheets did not even seem close to me for PM-22-A and Stanadyne Performance formula.

All fuel additives have to be registered with the EPA.

Alphabetical List of Registered Diesel Additives | US EPA

If you search the list a company called Gold Eagle Co has the old
PM-17 and PM-18 listed, along with Power Stroke spelled Powerstrike. #2399 & #2400

You can also find Ford listed at #2107.

You can find a COC for Motorcraft here that list Gold Eagle Co and CCI for chemicals; (most of rest of document is car seats I think); never specifically calls out PM-22 though.

The code date on my bottles doesn't match the Gold Eadle Co description.

So I don't have the answer

The EPA link does have Carquest, NAPA, & Wix listed under Stanadyne.

Bob

Old 02-23-2012, 08:28 PM
bnmccoy
Elder User

http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricant...n/pdf/cpsc.pdf

Left out the COC link and last time I tried to add on in Edit mode it didn't work.

Bob

Old 02-23-2012, 08:37 PM
Dim Sum
Cargo Master
Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
I found this an Oriely's auto parts a few months back. I bought all they had b/c it looked to me to be the exact same bottle as the Ford stuff. You can see I paid 2.37 for them .

Old 02-23-2012, 09:59 PM
ljutic ss
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dim Sum
I found this an Oriely's auto parts a few months back. I bought all they had b/c it looked to me to be the exact same bottle as the Ford stuff. You can see I paid 2.37 for them .

A container manufacture can make a product that is used by many companies, like plastic soda bottles. The Ford MSDS on PM22 lists Chemtech as the supplier.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:11 AM
bnmccoy
Elder User

The MSDS lists Chemtrec; not Chemtech. Chemtrec is listed on many different companies MSDS sheets. They are simply a company that is a contracted service to manage the MSDS and the telephone call if someone needs information.

Gold Eagle has a section on private labeling product and since they must have been the previous provider for the PM-17 and PM-18 it would seem high probability they are the current provider. Even if they are the provider it doesn't mean that they simply relabel an existing product; it could still be a custom blend per Ford's chemical engineering. Code dates on bottles can even be custom to the branded company's specifications.

Gold Eagle's MSDS sheets have to be requested (which can be done on-line); they are not readily available on-line for display; although I found a couple for non diesel fuel additives posted on end vendor sites.

Off topic, what is interesting is that I cannot find Opti-lube or Centurion Lubes, etc. listed on the EPA site of registered additives for diesel fuel.

Bob

Old 02-24-2012, 04:43 PM
ljutic ss
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bnmccoy
The MSDS lists Chemtrec; not Chemtech. Chemtrec is listed on many different companies MSDS sheets. They are simply a company that is a contracted service to manage the MSDS and the telephone call if someone needs information.

Gold Eagle has a section on private labeling product and since they must have been the previous provider for the PM-17 and PM-18 it would seem high probability they are the current provider. Even if they are the provider it doesn't mean that they simply relabel an existing product; it could still be a custom blend per Ford's chemical engineering. Code dates on bottles can even be custom to the branded company's specifications.

Gold Eagle's MSDS sheets have to be requested (which can be done on-line); they are not readily available on-line for display; although I found a couple for non diesel fuel additives posted on end vendor sites.

Off topic, what is interesting is that I cannot find Opti-lube or Centurion Lubes, etc. listed on the EPA site of registered additives for diesel fuel.

Bob

Was quite easy finding the msds on optilube xpd it also lists chemtrec as a transportation emergency number to contact. 1-800-424-9300

Old 02-24-2012, 11:27 PM
bnmccoy
Elder User

Wasn't trying to find the MSDS; was trying to find them listed on the EPA site. They are suppose to be registered.

Bob

Old 02-25-2012, 01:09 AM
huntindog
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What I also find interesting is a comment made by Cheez it.
That there has been NO 6.7 specific testing of the 6.7 with the PM22.
The testing was done on previous Ford diesels......Lots of differences in the fuel systems.

This could mean that the PM22 might do more harm than good.

Old 02-25-2012, 02:45 AM
milsuper
Junior User
Agree with huntingdog. Cheezit said so on the other thread that I started. Just emperical recommendation on PM22A only for PSD 6.7 so far, without any real long term study or data to back up the emperical recommendation. Jury is still out. Regardless, Ford states that it is ok to use PM22A in their own Diesel supplement manual for 2012 models, so I would use it if I had to....with some reservation and reluctance. Really, we also need recommendation by Bosch to see if PM22A is ok to use with their HPFP, but so far no clear info available from them either. Facts only...facts...

Alas....It may just be that once again current PSD 6.7 owners who have been using PM22A are the beta testers for Ford/Bosch. Facts only...facts...

Who makes PM22A for Motorcarft? No facts....no facts...

Old 02-25-2012, 07:03 AM
ljutic ss
Posting Guru
Wasn't trying to find the MSDS; was trying to find them listed on the EPA site. They are suppose to be registered.

Bob

You won't find optilube on the epa site because they don't manufacture, their re-branders Lubrizol makes Opti-lube products. Also Chemtrec you see on the PM-22 MSDS listing is a clean up company.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:51 AM
huntindog
Senior User
Originally Posted by milsuper
Agree with huntingdog. Cheezit said so on the other thread that I started. Just emperical recommendation on PM22A only for PSD 6.7 so far, without any real long term study or data to back up the emperical recommendation. Jury is still out. Regardless, Ford states that it is ok to use PM22A in their own Diesel supplement manual for 2012 models, so I would use it if I had to....with some reservation and reluctance. Really, we also need recommendation by Bosch to see if PM22A is ok to use with their HPFP, but so far no clear info available from them either. Facts only...facts...

Alas....It may just be that once again current PSD 6.7 owners who have been using PM22A are the beta testers for Ford/Bosch. Facts only...facts...

Who makes PM22A for Motorcarft? No facts....no facts...
Now that Ford in it's NHSTA response has said that they don't know anything about the workings of the HPFP (they buy it as a "black box"), and since they have done no 6.7 - PM22A testing. It would seem that Ford is just guessing on it's PM22A recomendation.

Of course it adds lubricity...But at what cost to the DLC?

Old 02-25-2012, 08:46 AM
bnmccoy
Elder User

Originally Posted by ljutic ss
You won't find optilube on the epa site because they don't manufacture, their re-branders Lubrizol makes Opti-lube products. Also Chemtrec you see on the PM-22 MSDS listing is a clean up company.
The main point is Chemtrec is not a manufacturer of additives; an additional service they provide (among several) is:

"Non-Emergency (Technical) Response Protocol – CHEMTREC will serve as the company’s 24-hour response center, providing callers with information pertaining to specific consumer-related questions regarding the company’s product(s) using information provided by the company. "

Other Services

Good to know that Lubrizol is the manufacturer; thanks for the information.

Bob

Old 02-25-2012, 12:06 PM
ljutic ss
Posting Guru
The main point is Chemtrec is not a manufacturer of additives; an additional service they provide (among several) is:

"Non-Emergency (Technical) Response Protocol – CHEMTREC will serve as the company’s 24-hour response center, providing callers with information pertaining to specific consumer-related questions regarding the company’s product(s) using information provided by the company. "

Other Services

Good to know that Lubrizol is the manufacturer; thanks for the information.

Bob
The information on Optilube buying their products from Lubrizol was taken from a response letter from Optilube techical support that was posted on the TDI forum.

Old 02-25-2012, 02:47 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Well if Ford finds a fuel system failure due to PM22A, it's their own fault.
They have it typed on v.5 of their care and tips document for the 2011 models, also.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
6.7L_caretips.pdf (27.4 KB, 290 views)
Old 02-25-2012, 04:19 PM
huntindog
Senior User
Originally Posted by kper05
Well if Ford finds a fuel system failure due to PM22A, it's their own fault.
They have it typed on v.5 of their care and tips document for the 2011 models, also.
Of course it would be on Ford. I was just thinking of when the warranty is up. My thought is that IF (big if) PM22A is harmful to the DLC that the effect is likely cumulative over many hours. It would suck to treat fuel for many thousands of miles and be unknowingly slowly destroying the pump.
Failure could well happen after the warranty is over.

I am of the opinion that since Ford by their own admission doesn't know whats in the pump, is just throwing the PM22A at it as a band aid. The only thing that they are sure it will do is improve the bottom line.

Quick Reply: Who makes PM-22 for Motorcraft