1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

We Love to Watch Builds!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 08:58 AM
COMPLIT1107
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We Love to Watch Builds!

Many of you are in the middle of builds, and post pictures of various stages. Sometimes they become hard to follow, as there is not a consistent thread. Can I make a suggestion that you look at the PROJECTS forum and put your build and trail of problems and successes in one concise thread. That way we can follow your build, learn from what you have done, and see progress pictures.

Then create a post which references your "Project", so others can find it and follow it. Once someone has posted on your build, even just a "Good Job " post, the email feature of the forums keeps you up to date on changes posted (if you stay subscribed).

We like watching progress over time, and the Project thread gives us a great opportunity to learn from you, give our $0.02 worth, and see how stuff goes back together that we took apart 10 years ago

PS: Here's 2 I got going...
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ese-years.html
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...way-guide.html
Come join......

Old 02-23-2012, 12:12 PM
SVT-F100
Tuned

John it is funny you say that, I know I am guilty of that. When building you get so busy with one piece of the project than life pulls you away then when you come back and you are on another piece of the project. I can easily count four different threads I started for updates and help.

I will keep in mind when I blend it all together...

Old 02-23-2012, 12:43 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Guilty as charged...I like the build threads too, but I don't have one for mine. and I think about it, I always seem to think that my progress is so slow, that I will never have anything to post..and even some of the things that get done don't seem worth posting, to me.
Ever seen a facebook post about, "I'm hungry, so I ate a bag of potatoe chips." ? Yeah.. who cares! LOL I don't want to be that person!
But I need to get goin on one!

Old 02-23-2012, 01:15 PM
yamagrant
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff and Nicolle
Guilty as charged...I like the build threads too, but I don't have one for mine. and I think about it, I always seem to think that my progress is so slow, that I will never have anything to post..and even some of the things that get done don't seem worth posting, to me.
Ever seen a facebook post about, "I'm hungry, so I ate a bag of potatoe chips." ? Yeah.. who cares! LOL I don't want to be that person!
But I need to get goin on one!
Get going on a post or Bag of potatoe chips

Old 02-23-2012, 04:31 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If I had posted my entire build on my 48 F-3 you guys would have really gotten tired of seeing it. That build took 5 years...

I'm going into the third year on my 49 F-1...

If you have one that you are making great progress on, then I agree.

Old 02-23-2012, 04:45 PM
COMPLIT1107
Elder User
Heck, I'm going on 8 yrs on the '47. The point is, having a Project from some point (start, middle or other) working it's way towards completion gives the rest of us courage , ideas (good or nuts ), problems doin' stuff and solutions . Some of us just love searching through 500 threads looking for info. Someones project may show exactly what we need!

P.S. Vern (GNW) - I would love to see your build threads. Nothing like learning from someone elses experience!

Old 02-23-2012, 04:59 PM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Like everyone else, I love build threads and I'm fixin' to start one of my own here soon when I start assembling my powerplant. My only complaint with having a build documented in a thread format is that it gets all broken up with readers' comments, questions, and such. Don't get me wrong - the feedback is great. It's nice to hear what others have to say about our work and sometimes even the critical responses are valuable. I'm always interested to hear about another method to solving a problem or achieving a specific result if somebody has a better idea. But having all these comments and such through the body of the thread really interrupts the continuity - especially in a community this large where sometimes you start getting responses before you've even finished a second or follow-up post. I think the best way to have our cake and eat it too in this situation would be to give the OP the ability to lock his thread in the "PROJECTS" forum and post a link to another thread for discussion. Perhaps this ability could be provided as an added feature for paid subscribers? Hmmm.....

Old 02-24-2012, 01:23 AM
Dano78
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
And boy.... lately there are a BUNCH of new build threads startin up! It's a bit of a job just keepin up with them!! But i enjoy every minute of it.

I've tried to be diligent at keeping most my project all in one post and just update it. I made a couple 'tech' threads that stemmed from my project but thought it'd be better served outside of my thread so that they could be 'searched' easier.

BlueOvalRage- you spoke of a 'Projects' forum? This may sound dumb, but where is this forum at? Now if each Truck Forum had their own "projects" fourm, that would be kinda neat and alot more accessible to those interested of that vintage of truck.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:32 AM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Old 02-24-2012, 01:44 AM
Dano78
Elder User
Ahhhh i see... waaayyy down on the bottom of the main page..

Ok that's cool, but now you must sift through all the other projects within FTE. It'd be nice to have that category for each truck forum... not that i wouldn't be interested in all the others, but would be nice grouped together as they are in the Forums.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:18 AM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
I like having the build threads in this forum....it adds variety. We need more IMO.....

Old 02-24-2012, 12:15 PM
das54
Elder User
I agree. I looked at the "project" forum and there's too much I'm not interested in there and if I keep a thread going here to direct you over to that forum then I might as well jsut keep the build thread here. And I know a thing or two about making a boring build thread. I've been working on my project for over 10 years so I put an inflammatory statement in my thread name to spark interest. Maybe I should change the thread name to "Boring 54 build thread - don't waste your time here".

Old 02-24-2012, 12:30 PM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yah, I know, I'm guilty too. But, the best way to do this is to have your own site on the web and then link to it. This way your build thread dosn't get all bogged down with questions and answers. The questions and answers will still be here on your thread but you can organise your progress a lot easier. Some others have already done this and it works very well. Refer to the thread about "EARL" and also John Nilions thread. Very professional.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:17 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by GreatNorthWoods
If I had posted my entire build on my 48 F-3 you guys would have really gotten tired of seeing it. That build took 5 years...

I'm going into the third year on my 49 F-1...

If you have one that you are making great progress on, then I agree.
My build is in the projects forum. I've only been going at mine for 5 years now. It doesn't matter if you are making progress every day or not. With mine I'll make progress for a week or two and then months of nothing. But it's still nice to have a build thread to post the progress in.

I agree with John, it's nice having the builds in one forum separate from all the other post. It's much easy finding them and keeping track of them.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:39 PM
Dano78
Elder User
A web page would be a nice idea, but i can just about guarantee that I'd have this computer wiped off my desk with a sledge hammer durring an attempt at it. Needless to say, i don't have much patients/knowledge with computers... And that kinda stuff takes time... time i'd rater spend out in the shop or just responding to threads on the forums..

Quick Reply: We Love to Watch Builds!