Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-22-2012, 07:46 PM
Freshman User

79 S.D.! is starting off with a positive reputation.
79 two tone paint help...

hello all! I am getting to the pont in my 79 resto-mod that a paint color needs to get picked!! I have been mulling over different ideas and have at least decided to stick with a factory style two tone, that was the easy part, now to choose the actual colors. been trying to find some pics and details on the color options that were available from the factory(which there were quite a few in the 70's!!) I have found a sales brochure from 1979, and put the google servers through quite a workout, but dont seem to find many two-tone images or many variations in the ones i do find. anybody have any ideas and or pics of some two tone paint jobs??
Old 02-22-2012, 08:13 PM
Junior User

White76 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Photobucket
1976 f150. I can get the paint code if you want it.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:52 PM
Senior User

79silverstreak is starting off with a positive reputation.
In 77.5 to 79, two tone pattern is slightly different from the one pictured, there is a lower portion of the base color, that wraps around the 2od color around the sides on the rocker panels. They come in many combinations, as you probably know. Most have the creamish white, may be whinbolton white(bronco top color, not sure if it was used on trucks), and a deeper, dark color to off set the white(greens, browns). I believe that on the entry level two tone, there is only one separation, the hood, roof, rocker panel is one color, and the sides of the truck and the center of the tailgate is another. XLT model two tones had two separations, same as above but the portion of the roof above the drip rail, is the same as the secondary color or the side color. I wish I could post pictures, because it may sound confusing. I actually used to have a color code print out and paint chip printout, it probably could of helped.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:17 PM
Posting Guru

justforkicks is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
dr.sacman
Click the image to open in full size.

Here's my 77's paint scheme. I've NBCSteve's got a similar style on his 79 F-350 (replace the yellow with red).

Also, 79silverstreak, my truck was built in 12/76, but is also Canadian built. Think that has something to do with it? All the other pre-77's I've seen have the whole lower portion and the top of the cab one color and the top of the bed, doors, the cowl, and hood another.

Personally, I've considered the idea of changing the yellow on mine to black or orange. But, love the yellow too much, and it's not a paint scheme you see everyday!
97 F-150 XLT 4x4 "Black Bomber" 4.6 Triton, 305k miles
84 Bronco XLT 302, blown c4, 478k miles
Old 02-22-2012, 10:24 PM
Senior User

Evan's F250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
what about burgandy on top and bottom and silver in the middle...it was done from factory
Old 02-23-2012, 08:16 AM
Senior User

79silverstreak is starting off with a positive reputation.
Also, 79silverstreak, my truck was built in 12/76, but is also Canadian built. Think that has something to do with it? All the other pre-77's I've seen have the whole lower portion and the top of the cab one color and the top of the bed, doors, the cowl, and hood another.

In realality, it's hard to put a specific break down on model separations and changes in characteristics due to many variances and changes with in a few years. Just like you said it was built in Canada, may be they din't switch to different styling as soon as some of the american built trucks, maybe none of them executed changes at the same time, and that's why people see something out of the ordinary, and think it to be incorrect. I was under the impression, that the trucks 77.5 and up, are two tone painted as yours, and also had the new style grill with round head lights, until the 78 ranger(square) and all 79's(square as well). Instead your truck has the 75-77.5 grill with the 77.5-79 paint scheme. Who knows, maybe they didn't start putting the new grills on until the old ones were done with, as with paint, all they had to do was change the lines.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:11 PM
Freshman User

well i got the chance to do some more searching and found some more pics on here, I am going to stick with a factory style two tone paint job. you dont see two tones anymore, just have to pick the colors (the hardest part!)

79silverstreak- you are right there were a lot of option and variations of colors on these old trucks

justforkicks- i wouldnt change your truck it looks good! and you definately dont see many like it

my truck came from the factory with the dark jade green and baby puke green two tone, i have seen only one re-done with those colors and it looks really sharp, just not sure how long i could look at the puke green color, lol!

i will get a build thread going on here when i get a chance, some of you might be interested in what i am doing... will figure out how to post pics and get that going soon. thanx for the responses everybody!
Old 02-24-2012, 01:28 PM
Freshman User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan's F250 View Post
what about burgandy on top and bottom and silver in the middle...it was done from factory

thats a good one, i'm liking that idea!
Old 02-24-2012, 04:33 PM
Senior User

Mexican77 is starting off with a positive reputation.
If you have the racetrack style molding trim, this is the way to go
Old 02-25-2012, 01:38 PM
New User

Twete77 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Mine is dark brown metallic up top and medium golden sand metallic in the middle:

Here's a useful link for identifying color codes:
1973-1979 Ford Truck VIN Tag Codes (Exterior Paint) - FORDification.net
Old 02-25-2012, 06:55 PM
Posting Guru

NBC-Steve has a great reputation on FTE.NBC-Steve has a great reputation on FTE.NBC-Steve has a great reputation on FTE.NBC-Steve has a great reputation on FTE.NBC-Steve has a great reputation on FTE.
Here's mine. White/Candy Apple Red. I can get the codes if you need them.

1979 Ford F-350 4X4 Ranger Lariat
400CI, Edelbrock Performer intake and 600CFM 4BBL
Borg Warner T18 4 Speed & NP205 T Case. Skyjaker 6" Lift

Old 12-08-2013, 11:29 PM
New User

mtman97123 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twete77 View Post
Mine is dark brown metallic up top and medium golden sand metallic in the middle:

Here's a useful link for identifying color codes:
1973-1979 Ford Truck VIN Tag Codes (Exterior Paint) - FORDification.net
Twete77, can you send your paint codes. I have a '79 Bronco that appears may be identical to yours. I am trying to verify because I have not seen a Bronco with this combo. My paint code is H2. Thanks for the response.

Lee
Old 03-15-2014, 07:59 AM
New User

sherrre is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by White76 View Post
Photobucket
1976 f150. I can get the paint code if you want it.
White76,

This may be a longshot after two years, but could you post those paint codes? I'm wanting to paint my truck those colors.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:51 AM
Senior User

460me is starting off with a positive reputation.
I really like the blue and white,but red and white will have to do
Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:51 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
1976, 1979, 79, codes, edition, explorer, f100, f150, ford, paint, paintjob, picutes, schemeford, tone, trucks